Mp3 player..Sansa still a good option?

Options
Mike682
Mike682 Posts: 2,074
edited September 2008 in The Clubhouse
I'm looking to pick up an mp3 player for running. It has to be small and flash based w/good battery life. I am leaning toward the Sandisk Sansa Clip. Some members here were pretty happy with the Sansa a while back..Just wondering if they are still a decent option..Anyone use or still using a Sansa Clip? Impressions?

Here's a link to the player
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B000W09ZTK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220542666&sr=8-7

thanks
Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
Mains: polk R30
Center: polk CSi3
Rear Surrounds: polk R20
Subwoofer: polk PSW404
DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
Post edited by Mike682 on

Comments

• Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Well the price is cheap. I don't have any experience with Sandisk as far as MP3's go.

Although for the price if it fell and broke it wouldn't hurt as much as an ipod.

What about a shuffle. Much smaller in size.
  • Mike682
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I have an ipod video which would be too big to carry while running. As for the shuffle, it doesn't have an info screen; I like the sansa's little info screen, it is just enough so I can visually select playlists, etc while out.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited September 2008
    Options
    SanDisk's Sansa is probably the easiest one to use once you figure out the very unintuitive GUI for loading files. Beyond that, even at a basic level, the Sansa can utilized without the fancy GUI that makes all the song names and such pretty. It just shows up as a regular Removable Media or Flash Media drive just like everything else from SanDisk.

If the price is what you are willing to pay, the Sansas are nice in that they are just an MP3 player. No fancy bells and whistles to kill battery life. They can also be used as flash memory for file transfers. Not so easy with some other brands.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I dont the hink you can go wrong for the price.
  • Mike682
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    If the price is what you are willing to pay, the Sansas are nice in that they are just an MP3 player. No fancy bells and whistles to kill battery life. They can also be used as flash memory for file transfers. Not so easy with some other brands.

thanks Jstas and Fireman

My thoughts exactly. I don't want to spend much..just want a good simple mp3 player that's small enough to go out with me to the track and to the trails. And if it breaks, it's cheap to replace

Mike
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited September 2008
    Options
    My 9 year old daughter and a couple of her similarly aged friends have had the Clip for over a year and no problems with any of them. Very durable so far. A bit of a pita to have to use windows media player to create playlists. But if you don't want or need playlists then it's simple drag and drop to just put on mp3s.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • Snaps
    Snaps Posts: 15
    edited September 2008
    Options
    My dad has one of the older 4GB models and enjoys it very much. From what ive seen of em they are a pretty sturdy player with a usb (5 pin) mini cable.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I love mine. Very easy to operate & gets the job done.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I have the Sansa Fuze and freaking love it. I use Rhapsody as well for my music and it's an awesome combination.

Have you ever used subscription music? It appears to work with that sansa, so if you haven't, you should give it a try!
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I have the Sansa Fuze and have been using it for about a month. I really like it, especially for the price. I have a few playlists that were easy enough to create, and it syncs easily with my MP3 list on my PC. My old iPod had the battery die, and after trying DRM-free music from stores other than iTunes I will never go back! If you are interested in the Sansa Fuze, let me know and I'll hit you up with the URL of the review I wrote on it.

My sis-in-law and her fiance also use the Sansa Clip and are very happy with them. I'm not sure how long they have been using them, but they use them all the time when they exercise. When we worked out together a while back that's how I got interested in the Sansa series in the first place.
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • Mike682
    edited September 2008
    Options
    jwhitakr wrote: »
    I have the Sansa Fuze and have been using it for about a month. I really like it, especially for the price. I have a few playlists that were easy enough to create, and it syncs easily with my MP3 list on my PC. My old iPod had the battery die, and after trying DRM-free music from stores other than iTunes I will never go back! If you are interested in the Sansa Fuze, let me know and I'll hit you up with the URL of the review I wrote on it.

My sis-in-law and her fiance also use the Sansa Clip and are very happy with them. I'm not sure how long they have been using them, but they use them all the time when they exercise. When we worked out together a while back that's how I got interested in the Sansa series in the first place.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna stick with the Sansa clip though for running. For video, I currently have an ipod video. However, the fuze looks awesome. I will look to pick up a fuze when my ipod video battery dies:).

I also started buying DRM free music from Amazon. Great mp3s and the freedom to move the files anywhere without restriction is great!