ohms on a stereo

Options
polkaudiosupra101
polkaudiosupra101 Posts: 48
edited October 2001 in Car Audio & Electronics
i have a 12" subwoofer in a 88 supra hatchback and 2 4" rockfords in the front. because the stock enclosures are 4" in the back also i plan to make a custom enclosure for 4 6 1/2" polk audio speakers right behind the rear passengers head. now im not sure how to feed these speakers power. my ohms question comes in to play here because i want to split the rear speaker wires and put 4 speakers where 2 belong. will this blow my stereo because of ohms being too low? (i have a sony CDX-L350) i do have insurance if i blow it but id like to know before i just do it. if this will blow my stereo then what are some alternatives to run these speakers (my stereo only has one preout for an amp) also what kind of enclosure should i build?
thanx

scott
Post edited by polkaudiosupra101 on

Comments

• sc0tty8
    sc0tty8 Posts: 69
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Do this:

Get a 4-Channel amp. Run patch cords to them, using a Y adapter to connect the one set of patch cords to the amp. Then, run a set to your sub amp. They will sound hella better with a amp runnin' them, not your deck. You will notice how much clearer and cleaner they will sound.

Typical head units run 4/8ohm, no 2, BUT, you can run them in a 8ohm load, instead of 2, if you hooked' em up parralell. Run them in series(+to-,-to+) Your best bet is to run em with an external amp. You may or may not damage your deck, but if your like me, you like to keep your deck in the dash, and not take it out to get it fixed. most of the time, they have to send the deck in, and usually don't swap em out. Also check to see if fiddling with the wiring is covered or not. This means, after they(if they did put it in) put it in, and you decided to rewire it, is it still covered??

Sc0tty8
  • polkaudiosupra101
    polkaudiosupra101 Posts: 48
    edited October 2001
    Options
    thanx for the advice but i have a very limited money supply as far as purchasing an amp. i got the deck at best buy and they dont ask questions if its blown they just fix it (speakers anyways) but i will look into that. as far as building a box would a basic strong peice of wood with the speakers drilled to it work they will be standing up. how does the 8 ohm load work? where do you connect the negative speaker wire?
    thanx
  • sc0tty8
    sc0tty8 Posts: 69
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I tell ya what....

I had a deck from Best Buy, and had static in the speakers from the deck, and they wouldn't swap/fix it.

The wireing works like this:

Parrallel means you would take the +(possitive) to the other +, and the -(neg) to the other neg. that is parralell

Searies means you take the plus of one of the speakers, hook it to the minus of another, twist em together, and tape em. then, you got a plus and minus left, that would goto your deck. as for boxes or whatever, for components, I would use 1/4" masonite or 1/2" particle board, and make a baffle or they will sound like crap. A baffle ius something that goes behind the speaker kind of like a sub box. In my front doors I made baffles with tar paper and duct tape. sounds crude, but tar paper is pretty much dyna mat so I am told. I got 3 layers in the doors and in the trunk and it sounds fat. no rattiling, a lot clearer sound. You can find a 4-channel amp cheap, like jensen, They may be crappy, but they are not oo bad. I got a 2 channels I use as a backup for subs.