Adcom Hook Up Probs -???

Options
2»

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    LOL! First time lamers for everything! lol!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Mx, what kind of Adcom amp is that? whats the number on it? sorry things didn't work out for ya. but at least you got an amp already when you get a receiver with pre-outs. or go seperates.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    GFA-545II i think..let me check
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    My Future System will consist of

Electronics -
    NAD Receiver
    Adcom Amps (3 - 2 channel amps)
    Yamaha DVD Player
    Sony VCR
    Magnavox TV

Audio -
    Polk: Rt35i
    RT25i
    CS245i
    M&K -
    MX-90 (with upgraded drivers)

Wires -
    MIT or Transparent (pending)
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Why get a receiver? Why not just get a pre-pro?

Check it out:
    http://www.audiosystems.com/Consignment.htm

Adcom GTP-760 preamp/surround sound processor
    Retail 1800.00
    This one (consignment) 750.00 !!

That'll match your amps perfectly. ;)

They've got a Adcom GFA-545 amplifier for $250 also.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Sid,
    Try posting a pic of the back of the receiver and the back of the amp. Maybe we can get this sorted out.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Well im getting the NAD for 200 less, and Itll be better for the future, frank we already figured it out - its inputs for an external device, not preouts -- but thanx for all the help u guys! thanx for the link, will look - the 545's are all over ebay too...no upgrading probs there
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by MxStYlEpOlKmAn

Yeah, I made a big mistake - first time learner here, no guidance and i didnt even think to ask! lol!

We are all human and these things happen. I have been an enginneer for almost 15 years and have learned 1 thing through the years... "Ask Questions because there is no such thing as a dumb 1". Never try to reinvent the wheel!

You'll work it out I'm sure.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I agree with HBombToo. simple mistakes do happen to all of us... we learn from them.. no one got hurt and only Mx's ego was bruised for a short time. but he's man enough to admit he f*cked up. ha ha ha.
    I've been there.. not with the amp thing.. but i've taken my lumps too. Whenever looking to upgrade or add something to the HT or my computer. i do tons of searching, testing, reading, and just plain homework on the product first.. it's saves me some headaches before.

good luck Sid. it'll work out in the end. and you'll have a kickass system soon. :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. Don't be sold on anything! Make sure the NAD is capable of what you need both now and in the future. Post a model number and members will be glad to help.

Recently, the price and features/qualities of pre/processors has really changed. The price and features/qualities of amps has changed little. I'd worry about the amps first; providing you're already decided on a relative speaker choice, then the pre/pro, which will have been improved and be cheaper by the time you're ready.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you! I guess you "got your learn on".
    Make it Funky! :)
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Sid

Here is a way to use the amp now, it is a real work around, but you can at least hear the thing play.

If you have a tape deck, hook it up to the tape loop, hook the tape deck input to the receiver's tape out, hook up the tape deck's output to the Adcom. Select your source on the receiver, hit record on your tape deck, you will now use the tape deck's record level knobs as your volume controls.

Like I said this is a real jury-rigging of your system, but you can at least get a feel of what the Adcom can do.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Look at Hoosier bringin' on the poor man's electronic riggin' techniques. Good thought, I would have never though about that. Question is, does Sid have a tape deck?
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Quick--someone try to sell him a like-new Nakamichi Dragon! Only played by a little old lady on Sundays!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Okay,
    Sometimes i had problems like this and it was a fuse in the back of the amp and also one time the polarity was backwards-(i had positive to negative) and one time i found the mute botton on in the preamp.-oh also on an ADCOM in the preamp is an extended process and if you have that on and accdentally have the cables in the normal jacks this could cause that problem..
    The mute button does let a little sound through when the volume is turned up
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    LOL! I am against Tapes and Radio - therefore I dont have a tapedeck, nor my radio atenna plugged up -- infact i dont no where the heck it is!

I think I am going to stick with a yamaha receiver, I found one with 6.1 preouts, for a rear center, and I can get it for 300 dollars. If u didnt know, I am not all that high on video, I could careless for a 40-80 inch tv, Im satisfied for 25-35, and I dont need one that is very high class, so on the video factor of the receiver, I could give 2 cents less about it! When I look for audio, I look at freq., THD, (and now inputs, outputs) - etc! I mean all my rig is a kids rig, i want it to play loud but still sound good!

Well I did eff up, thats for sure - really big eff! LOL! but here is the yammer i want, Yamaha Receiver - HTR5560 --- 6.1 preouts, .06 thd, 20-20 top art design - thats pretty much all im looking at, all I need for a receiver is something to plug my cd player, vcr, dvd player into and my amps! LOL! If it plays sound im cool, I figured the NAD would be a waste, since as russ put it - a waste to NAD amps...but this is what I am looking, I am mostly looking for something that is cheap and will work! LOL!
    Well Here is My Future System - AGAIN! LOL!

Yamaha -
    Receiver: HTR5560
    CD Player
    Adcom -
    (3) - GFA-545II
    Polk Audio -
    Mains - RT35i
    Center - CS245i
    Back Center - CSi20 or a (single) rt25i -- or nothing! MUAHAHHA!
    Surrounds - RT25i
    M&K -
    Subwoofer - MX-90 (Upgraded Drivers)
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Gary Robertson
    Okay,
    Sometimes i had problems like this and it was a fuse in the back of the amp and also one time the polarity was backwards-(i had positive to negative) and one time i found the mute botton on in the preamp.-oh also on an ADCOM in the preamp is an extended process and if you have that on and accdentally have the cables in the normal jacks this could cause that problem..
    The mute button does let a little sound through when the volume is turned up

Yeah I thought it was the fuse too, although I found out that my current receiver has absolutely not preouts....
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I am not familiar with your amp or your prospective rcvr, so excuse me if I'm belaboring the obvious--you're getting a 6.1 pre-out rcvr, but your amp has 5 channels, right? I'm just wanting to make sure you aren't expecting to get 6.1 from a 5-channel amp. Or am I lost?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • shiu
    shiu Posts: 169
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Be careful, I recently connected my Sony 4ES receiver pre-out to my Adcom 565 pre-amp aux in, then to the Adcom 555 power amp. I found that I had to turn my receiver volume up quite a bit before I could get any decent sound from my Adcom. The instruction manual of my 4ES does not mention anything about the pre-out. It seems that those pre-outs are of the variable output type. Anybody know anything about those 4ES preouts?

PS. Mine are definitely out, not in.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by meestercleef
    I am not familiar with your amp or your prospective rcvr, so excuse me if I'm belaboring the obvious--you're getting a 6.1 pre-out rcvr, but your amp has 5 channels, right? I'm just wanting to make sure you aren't expecting to get 6.1 from a 5-channel amp. Or am I lost?

The amp is 2 channel - I am getting 2 more 2 channel amps - 3 in all! Therefore I could run 6 channels...But I doubt I will...
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by shiu
    Be careful, I recently connected my Sony 4ES receiver pre-out to my Adcom 565 pre-amp aux in, then to the Adcom 555 power amp. I found that I had to turn my receiver volume up quite a bit before I could get any decent sound from my Adcom. The instruction manual of my 4ES does not mention anything about the pre-out. It seems that those pre-outs are of the variable output type. Anybody know anything about those 4ES preouts?

PS. Mine are definitely out, not in.

If I got this right, U connected a sony receiver to an adcom preamp, then to a adcom amp...wtf??
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • shiu
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The photo of your GFA545 looks like my GFA555, my looks taller, so you know the Adcom power amp only provides one set of inputs. So I have no choice but to connect my STR-DA4ES pre-out to my one of the GFP-565 preamp's inputs, in this case "video aux". I still have a turntable, tape deck, and a CD player connected to my Adcom system.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by shiu
    The photo of your GFA545 looks like my GFA555, my looks taller, so you know the Adcom power amp only provides one set of inputs. So I have no choice but to connect my STR-DA4ES pre-out to my one of the GFP-565 preamp's inputs, in this case "video aux". I still have a turntable, tape deck, and a CD player connected to my Adcom system.

This mug -- has lost me! LOL! I thought u do this - U take the inputs on the amp, to the preouts on the receiver, and thats it -- i confusid...

btw - whats the specs on the gfa545?
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • shiu
    edited January 2003
    Options
    receiver pre-out to Adcom preamp's (565)video/aux input. in order to use the Adcom system as front channel for movies. If I use the Adcom for music listening, I simply turn the Adcom preamp's selector switch to cd or phono. My is a 555, not 545, rated for 200W per channel 8 ohms, or 325W per channel 4 ohms, or 600W if bridged to mono.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Correst me if I'm wrong, but it seems as if the receiver you have decided on has pre-outs only for the rear center. This wuld be a mighty waste of that Adcom IMO.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    LOL! Yeah im not getting the NAD if thats what ur referring to - I am getting the Yamaha HTR5560 - it has all the preouts for all channels (6.1)
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    ur looking at the 800 dollar yamaha i guess, which has only one preout....i guess....but the one i want has 6
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Sid, that back panel shows SIX pre-outs. And for God's sake, the are even HIGHLIGHTED.

Read more, post less? ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Sid, that back panel shows SIX pre-outs. And for God's sake, the are even HIGHLIGHTED.

Read more, post less? ;)

LOL - I highlighted the preouts..lol! And I tried to go back and add a pic but it wouldnt let me...lol - but do I have a winner? or do i need to go back on the search?
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    How about we let this dog lie until you've got at least 3 or 4 Franklins saved?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    How about we let this dog lie until you've got at least 3 or 4 Franklins saved?

Well Im trying to find the one I want, and I want to try to stay under 400 dollars! lol! I can get the yamaha for 300 (350 counting shipping *estimate*), I just need to write it down, so i can save up - buy it..mark it off and move on to the amps! LOL!
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC