Still... dimming lights.

DemonAstroth
DemonAstroth Posts: 131
edited August 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
:confused:

I cannot seem to find a way to completely get the dimming headlight/illumination problem gone, so I figured I'd ask for some ideas, specially considering that my system is not THAT power hungry.

So I have

4awg wiring for both power and extra grounds.
180 amp Iraggi Alternator (just installed)
Optima Yellow top (checked it a month ago)

I only have 2 amps, one is 740rms (for subs), powering 2 polk momo 12's; and the other one is 500rms (I think... Eclipse XA4000), which is powering my SR6500's.

So any ideas? Is it time for a cap? :D JK, I know what you think of those by now.

The problem is certainly not severe, the music needs to be way way loud, and a bass intense song too, but it is there. I just installed the high output alternator and I thought they problem would be gone,but it is not the case.

Thank you for any input.
Post edited by DemonAstroth on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2008
    For 1000 watts RMS Id go with 1/0 gauge wire from the battery to the dist block then 4 gauge to the amps. Then swap out some 1/0 gauge wire for the ground from the battery to the chassis.

Thats really all thats left you can do since a 180 amp alternator and Optima battery is about as much upgrading you can do. Honestly if it were me and it was only dimming slightly and then only on bass heavy music at really loud volumes - I wouldnt worry about it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited August 2008
    Double check ALL your ground connections (remove, clean, sand), such as engine to frame, battery to frame, etc.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,833
    edited August 2008
    install a second battery...had same problem and the only thing that fixed it was putting my system on a its own 12 volt source
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited August 2008
    had a slight dimming of headlights with mine and i'm running 800 watts total, this it what i did:
    upgraded to 1/0ga from battery ground to chasis
    ran 1/0ga power from battery to 5 farad stinger hybrid cap to distro block and 4ga from distro to amps
    all grounds from amps and cap ran to same location
    dimming completly gone
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • pjtime
    pjtime Posts: 19
    edited August 2008
    You can also upgrade your wire from your alternator to your battery that might help alot.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited August 2008
    The alternator doesn't handle current draw, the battery does. The reason your upgrade the alternator is charging capacity. If you are draining your battery faster than your alternator can recharge it, you need a bigger alternator. You might need a new battery because sometimes that condition can be the result of a bad cell. But, I digress.

You get a bigger alternator because think of your battery like a sink. The alternator is the faucet, the stereo is the drain. If the drain is letting water out faster than the faucet can fill it up then you are taxing the alternator and the voltage regulator by pulling juice faster than it can be replaced. Sometimes, you can get away with it for short periods of time if it isn't too bad. But excessive problems lead to not only a damaged battery but a damaged charging system.

If your lights are still dimming then you might have a bad ground. You might also need a larger power lead. That can cause a problem like when it rains really hard and the storm drains backup. The water can't flow as easily because the storm drains are not adequate for the water flow. Same things goes for the power wire. If the draw is to great, it a creates a bottle neck which increases resistance which can lead to feedback. That causes excessive power draw because it fights the flow to the amp and cancels a portion of it out. Keep pulling more juice and you get a feedback loop which ends up in infinite resistance. That results in TONS of heat which will melt, even burn stuff. As far as infinited resistance goes, think of trying to charge the Earth with a 9 volt battery. Pretty physically impossible.

So change your power and ground wires, check the engine and charging system grounds too. But if you get a tad bit of dimming while idling and playing loudly like at a traffic light, turn it down, doesn't need to be that loud unless you are competing. But even my 1200 watts will dim the lights on some old Digital Underground or Big-E-Smallz and Junior Mafia stuff.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    The alternator doesn't handle current draw, the battery does. The reason your upgrade the alternator is charging capacity. If you are draining your battery faster than your alternator can recharge it, you need a bigger alternator. You might need a new battery because sometimes that condition can be the result of a bad cell. But, I digress.

You get a bigger alternator because think of your battery like a sink. The alternator is the faucet, the stereo is the drain. If the drain is letting water out faster than the faucet can fill it up then you are taxing the alternator and the voltage regulator by pulling juice faster than it can be replaced. Sometimes, you can get away with it for short periods of time if it isn't too bad. But excessive problems lead to not only a damaged battery but a damaged charging system.

If your lights are still dimming then you might have a bad ground. You might also need a larger power lead. That can cause a problem like when it rains really hard and the storm drains backup. The water can't flow as easily because the storm drains are not adequate for the water flow. Same things goes for the power wire. If the draw is to great, it a creates a bottle neck which increases resistance which can lead to feedback. That causes excessive power draw because it fights the flow to the amp and cancels a portion of it out. Keep pulling more juice and you get a feedback loop which ends up in infinite resistance. That results in TONS of heat which will melt, even burn stuff. As far as infinited resistance goes, think of trying to charge the Earth with a 9 volt battery. Pretty physically impossible.

So change your power and ground wires, check the engine and charging system grounds too. But if you get a tad bit of dimming while idling and playing loudly like at a traffic light, turn it down, doesn't need to be that loud unless you are competing. But even my 1200 watts will dim the lights on some old Digital Underground or Big-E-Smallz and Junior Mafia stuff.

Thats kinda what I said but you sound a whole lot smarter when you say it John. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D