Speaks for the truck! w00t

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,527
edited September 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I absolutely love cheap car audio - because if it gets stolen, I wont lose sleep.

Either way...

I just bought some DB series 5x7 speakers - they had a buy one pair get second pair half off...

And they are perfect for my truck and since I havnt enjoyed the virtue of being able to really purchase something in the last few months - I decided to take the plunge earlier...

I really liked my old DB Components I bought for the 91 -- I decided I didnt want to go complex on this truck...

I probally wont go with any seperate amps as this truck is so quiet on the inside at moderate levels it is plenty loud... sound quality is neither here nor there...

I will eventually get a rocking DVD/GPS/Rear View camera head unit - but that is a few years away and the truck has to continue to run like it has...

Anyways - just glad to be a Polk owner again! :)
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2008
    Welcome back Kid!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • VR3
    edited August 2008
    I received the speakers earlier today ---

I installed them as well... took about a hour.

I am very educated on removing my door panels. Well except for the rear ones, I have never removed those before. But the front ones, plenty of times -- and since all you have to do is pop that grill off to get to the speakers, it was extremely easy.

The speakers thought sound phenominal... good amounts of bass, very tight -- the highs are crisp...

For 150 for 2 sets, I cant be more pleased...

Time will tell -- I have alot I want to do with my truck, only reason I replaced the speakers was simply because of the crutchfield deal. So I am happy - much better than the stock speakers, for sure.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited August 2008
    Congrats!

What other mods do you have on your 2004?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • VR3
    edited September 2008
    To much - I love this truck and have literally tore everything apart and making it mine...

In the future (over the next few years) - I will talk about what Ive so far later on...

I want to replace the headers with performance headers, get true dual side exit exhaust (in front of the rear tires) (two pipes per side)

20" chrome wheels -- wide 5 spoke

DVD/GPS/Rear view camera head unit

I will probally get the exhaust about mid next year - the wheels about a year later - and the head unit will be the very last thing I get because I want it as up to date as possible...

Im really trying to take my time and do this right...

And with funds shorter with the economy sucking - it is definitely taking more time.

About 4 months after getting the truck I replaced the in take and that made such a big difference in the pedal response - not even funny. Drives like a totally different truck. Dosnt lag, lots of pick up to it.

The next thing I do in the next month or so is get the throttle body cleaned and the inner intake... as it is getting around that time and I want it professionally cleaned...

I will probally keep this truck for a very long time --- Im hoping atleast 20 years... unless gas gets rediculous... and I might even keep it longer when I get a new vehicle - as this is the truck Ive dreamed about. Dosnt have all the fancy spancy electronics -- not alot that can wear out and break and I can still work on it with my knowledge.. so - lots of perks. Not to mention its a great truck.
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited September 2008
    I will probally keep this truck for a very long time --- Im hoping atleast 20 years... unless gas gets rediculous...

...LOL, idk about u but i think its already pretty rediculous

OBAMA 08
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • VR3
    edited September 2008
    When it gets to 6 a gallon - Ill be a little more concerned...

3.60 compared to global prices is pretty reasonable.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2008
    Ah, Im not getting into Car Audio. I wouldnt put my speakers in a closet, nor would I put them in a car.
    - http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4249
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • VR3
    edited September 2008
    Back in 03 - I still had Polk RTi and a Yamaha receiver...

Back then I was done -- about 10 pairs, 5 amps, 4 preamps, 3 subs, 10 different arrangements, two tvs, two trucks, 1 truck system, 3 different rooms --

Things have changed. ;)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2008
    what kind of power does your amp have powering those DB 5x7's? I think I need more power. as I have four of them in my car and they don't get loud enough and bass is lacking. I don't have a dedicated sub in my system.. I think I need a sub and a more powerful 4 ch amp.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • exalted512
    edited September 2008
    Back in 03 - I still had Polk RTi and a Yamaha receiver...

Back then I was done -- about 10 pairs, 5 amps, 4 preamps, 3 subs, 10 different arrangements, two tvs, two trucks, 1 truck system, 3 different rooms --

Things have changed. ;)

Well I always knew things would change, just a matter of time before you posted about it:p
    -Cody
  • VR3
    edited September 2008
    Im just using the stock head unit...

I dont want to listen to loud so I do not plan to add a seperate amp to this setup at any point. I will add a very nice aftermarket head unit and a small subwoofer (8 or 10") for low end reinforcement...

But the DBs have decent bass about 50hz or so...
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2008
    You not going to add a separate amp for the sub?? *scratches head*

Oh, wait...don't tell me you're going to settle for one of those abominations of a 'basslink' or whatever again, are you??

But congrats on the process of making it YOUR truck. Glad you're enjoying it. You'll have to keep us updated as your plans become reality.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • VR3
    edited September 2008
    Nah I think I am going to get a cheap seperate amp, small 8 or 10" sub - custom enclosure...

Im over the whole powered sub route. I went that route last time because of space constraints - there isnt that much more room now...

But its alot better than before! :)

I dont want to put a seperate amp on the mains because I do not have anywhere to put it.. :)

And I dont want to blast myself - last time the system got so loud, I refused to listen at low volumes because it sounded so good turned up...

Those DB components were MEAN.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,912
    edited September 2008
    Good to see you back Trey.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    edited September 2008
    I couldnt stay away to long...

Im so content with my HA setup, besides I havnt had time to really sit and listen lately
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited September 2008
    Me too. I'm away from my speakers at college and I need something to keep me occupied on the 20 min commute to campus :)
  • exalted512
    edited September 2008
    Nah I think I am going to get a cheap seperate amp, small 8 or 10" sub - custom enclosure...

Im over the whole powered sub route. I went that route last time because of space constraints - there isnt that much more room now...

But its alot better than before! :)

I dont want to put a seperate amp on the mains because I do not have anywhere to put it.. :)

And I dont want to blast myself - last time the system got so loud, I refused to listen at low volumes because it sounded so good turned up...

Those DB components were MEAN.

You have a good amount of room on the backwall.
    -Cody
  • VR3
    edited September 2008
    The rear seats fold up, not down...
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited September 2008
    nothing wrong with the db series. I got 2 pair of db650's on the shelf waiting for the right car to put them in.
  • exalted512
    edited September 2008
    The rear seats fold up, not down...

Doesnt mean you cant get to the back wall.
    -Cody
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited September 2008
    So what have you done so far with regards to the mods? I remember you said you were going to get a bed cover or something like that? Or was it chrome bed rails?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!