Would this work?

Soccerplyr
Soccerplyr Posts: 160
Later this month I'm planning on replacing my Onkyo TXDS 595 with either the TXSR 700 or 800. Both of these receivers are 6.1 so I'm trying to figure out how to add the rear center. I bought a new couch, and based on room design it will need to sit about 8 inches from the rear wall (room is 10' 7" x 10' 7"). My rears sit 2.5' above my head on that wall. I'm considering making a table to fit between the couch and the wall, cutting a hole in the middle of the table a placing a CSi30 in the hole firing up towards the ceiling. The grill of the speaker would be flush with the top of the table. What I'm wonder is if this placement would work or would the rear sond stage not work properly unless all the speakers where at the same level? Where are you 6.1 people placing your rear center if you have a small room? Is 6.1 even worth messing with based on my room size?

Thanks
Jeff
Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
Harmony Hub
Sony VLP-HW40ES
Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
Oppo BDP-103
Music Hall MMF 2.1
Polk LSiM 705
Polk LSiM704c
Polk LSiM702F/X
SVS PB-2000
Post edited by Soccerplyr on

Comments

• Soccerplyr
    Soccerplyr Posts: 160
    edited January 2003
    oops... put this in the wrong forum. I can't figure out how to move it, so if a mod could put it in basic set-up or speakers I would appreciate it
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    just buld a shelf for the wall at the same level as the other surounds. i mean at around 6 feet. angle the center a little down. but your idea might work just try it befor you buld the tabble. i think a shelf would be good. i did that with my 6.1 when i had a small room.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    sorry about the pic size it was a old pic
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    See if I have this right. I've yet to see any movies/DVD's supporting 6.1 surround sound, only thing I can think of THX which is 7.1 right?
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Tony, allow me to shed some light. 6.1 is well worth it. I been running it for about a year now in my dedicated theater. Would never go back to 5.1.
    There are two terms you have to be aware of:
    Dedicated - a discret signal to all six speakers
    Matrixed- a nondiscret complalation of the rear surround feeding from left and right speakers. Giving you a 6.1 quality.
    Now there are two forms of 6.1 sounds on the market:
    Dolby Digital EX - a nondiscret matixed 6.1
    DTS ES - the only discret 6.1 format on the market.
    A dvd has to be encoded with these sound labels. There a quite a few movie on the market that have both or one or the other sounds.
    My Onkyo reciever can produce a constant 6.1 "matrix" sound. So all movies I watch are at a least producing a matix 6.1 sound.
    The only format is DTS ES that is totally discret.
    In a 7.1 system you are still only getting 6 channel sound - the two rear speakers are "sharing" the discret or nondiscret signal.
    As of yet no format has come out yet with 7 channel discret sound. Except Mircosoft is working on a insane format as we speak but even as new formats arise you will have to have the encoded software and electronics a speakers to accommadate such applications.
    My latest and greatest 6 channel discret movie (dts es) is the extended edition of Lord Of The Rings. Awesome!!!!!
    Hope You got your learn on. Scott - out!!!;)
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    Great explanation, Scott! Yes, 6.1 is DEFINITELY worth it, and yet another awesome 6.1 DTS DVD is Blade II, if you like that kind of movie.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Hell ya, good call. Blade II -one of my best dvd's of 2002.
  • swillis55
    swillis55 Posts: 18
    edited January 2003
    Gladiator is another great movie with DTS-ES. By the way, what's up with the rumour of Gladiator 2? I thought he died at the end.

Sean