Precision Power Amps anyone? what is your opinoin on it?

makluda
makluda Posts: 8
edited September 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Im a newbie to audio, however the research I have been doing I have neer heard about the Precision Power Amps before. My friends, friends has one and raves about it, Anybody has an opinion on it, is it top of hte line ?

Here is what Im looking to get : what do you all think?

H/U : pioneer deh-p7000bt

front speakers: Polk Audio db6501

rear speakers: Polk Audio db691

Amp : looking at: Precision Power A600/4

is that to much power for me? thinking about getting a Sub in the future , would I be able to add it to this amp without having to buy 2 amps? Heard it better to get 2 amps for speakers and then for sub. This amp might not be able to handle 4 speakers and an amp I might be looking at it wrong. Still trying to figure everything out. Thaks for your opinion.

Thanks
Post edited by makluda on

Comments

• Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited August 2008
    PPI is great stuff. I'm not familiar with that particular amp, but if its Precision I would have no problem recommending it to anyone.

I would use that amp to power your fronts and rears and invest in a mono/stereo (depending on ohm and subs) amp for your subs when the time comes.

Welcome to Club Polk.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited August 2008
    Also if you would like a bit of history on PPI, search for Alma Gates' Bronco.

That should give ya a bit of confidence. :cool:

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • makluda
    edited August 2008
    Dave thanks for that opinion, I dont know much about the amp but will defiantly consider it. I listened to both SPEAKERS today and have to say not sure about the db691, it got to distorted when volume was louder. since not looking for a SUB right away if ANY at all, i want rear speakes that can handle high volume and handle its own bass. (not crazy lows though) Considering a 3 way COMPONENT speaker, I know this is polk audio but anybody know anything about the:

Rockford Fosgate Punch P1692S

?
  • makluda
    edited August 2008
    Also thinking about just having my front speakers powered by my HU and have the amp just power the rear speakers so I dont have to worry about too much wiring throughout the car or is that a poor way to go?
  • makluda
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for the info, however im looking for a 3 way component speaker that will give me the sound i need without having to go to a sub to get good quality bass/sound without distortion when volume is high.
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited August 2008
    I agree with Lasareath. I have the momo 6x9's - they sound great and also have plenty of midbass. I would expect no less from the Mobile Monitor line as well.
  • makluda
    edited August 2008
    Would go with those speakers the momo's the problem is, i have a honda accord 2000 and the speakers (on crutchfield) says they wont fit. So pretty much stuck in a dilemma on what good 3 way components to go with
  • Mike B.
    Mike B. Posts: 54
    edited August 2008
    MOMO's have a oversized Alum basket, they will "fit" but you need to trim some plastic/medal.
    The "new" MM line is composite basket/ Neo magnets, there are model'd off the SR baskets. They should just drop in.
    Also getting BASS out of a 6x9 is kind of pot luck, but in a sedan you typically get more out of them. If you listened to them in a demo board , 99% of the time they will sound much better in the car...
    Mike Bobelak
    Heartland Regional Manager
    Polk Audio
  • headknocker
    headknocker Posts: 17
    edited August 2008
    I installed a pair of Polk MOMO MMC 690's in the front doors of my wife's FJ Cruiser last week and they lived up to everything that I had read about them. Tight midbass with crisp,detailed mids and highs. I just didn't plop them in the doors though. I sealed the openings with plexiglass and the inner and outer metal panels are heavily deadened. I also laid a fair amount of sounddamping mat on select areas of the plastic door panel just as an added precaution.

I had an old US Acoustics USX-2080 amp lying around and I used it since I knew 80 watts rms per channel were enough to get the 690's humming pretty good.

After fooling around with the settings on the three-band parametric EQ on the Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X589 HU I was able to dial-up the sound the way I like it. I have them getting a full range signal right now but I'll have them hi passed at 60 hZ when I install the Ascendant Audio Atlas 12 in several weeks.

The 690's are a sweet-sounding set of 6x9's..no doubt about it. There's tons of room for them in the FJ's doors but I still have them mounted on 3/4" baffles.
    '98 CRV
    Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X589 HU
    Aura MR6.1 comps
    Aura MR62 Integrated comps
    Ascendant Audio Arsenal 12
    US Acoustics USX-4065
    PG Octane 8.0:1
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited August 2008
    ppi amps used to be world class. the last real ppi amps were made in 2000, i just picked up a brand new in the box pc4800.2 off of ebay. these amps are great sq pieces. now i have two and i plan on doing a new build next year using them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150284858709&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage