Bose 901...Series VII???

13»

Comments

• Timothy Smith
    Timothy Smith Posts: 764
    edited September 2011
    steveinaz wrote: »
    The 901 VI setup I had for years (2 bridged soundcraftsmen amps for 600watts/rms) needed no sub whatsoever. You need a lot of amp, and a lot of room; and careful placement to capitalize on their strengths. The EQ is best run off of a loop circuit, rather than between the pre and amp---this makes a BIG difference. Most people who feel they "suck" obviously have not heard them in the right environment. While they are not "mind-boggling" or revolutionary, they can be quite a thrill with rock and jazz.

Having said all that, I bought my series VI for $799, stands/EQ included during a big PX sale in Germany. I sold them 14 years later for $700. Not too shabby---and yeah, I'll say it...sometimes I miss those pups.

All you stuck-up eliteist can stick it up your ****-cutter :biggrin:

While most of you snot-noses were wiping your own excrement on the walls, and still peeing your diapers, I was rocking Black Dog at concert levels with a woodie. LOL!

OK....

SHEESH....

I'm no elitest snob, but I do know enough to wash my balls properly in the fingerbowls provided on the table in a fancy restaurant.

I have had three different friends demonstrate their "new" Bose 901 speakers to me over the years, and why-oh-why do they have to demonstate this particular speaker only at ear bleeding, mind bending, skull f'-ingly loud level on bad music?

What is the deal? Please explain why.

And please don't say because they can.
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited September 2011
    ...well then I have no other explanation.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited September 2011
    ...well then I have no other explanation.

Your answer to the above question should just be "To each their own."
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited September 2011
    I have friends that do the ear bleeding level showoff move.

I prefer to hear something with horns in it or some jazz to let me know how it really sounds.

If I wanted loud only I would get some PA speakers.
  • thesurfer
    thesurfer Posts: 574
    edited September 2011
    OK....

SHEESH....

I'm no elitest snob, but I do know enough to wash my balls properly in the fingerbowls provided on the table in a fancy restaurant.

I have had three different friends demonstrate their "new" Bose 901 speakers to me over the years, and why-oh-why do they have to demonstate this particular speaker only at ear bleeding, mind bending, skull f'-ingly loud level on bad music?

What is the deal? Please explain why.

And please don't say because they can.
    WoW,, This is some funny stuff, good humor on both sides, Ive heard the original 901,s and while i admit i hate there bookies, The 901, was there brief shineing moment, my brother had them, sat up right, they sounded awsome.
    Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.
  • thesurfer
    edited September 2011
    The 901 VI setup I had for years (2 bridged soundcraftsmen amps for 600watts/rms) needed no sub whatsoever. You need a lot of amp, and a lot of room; and careful placement to capitalize on their strengths. The EQ is best run off of a loop circuit, rather than between the pre and amp---this makes a BIG difference. Most people who feel they "suck" obviously have not heard them in the right environment. While they are not "mind-boggling" or revolutionary, they can be quite a thrill with rock and jazz.

Having said all that, I bought my series VI for $799, stands/EQ included during a big PX sale in Germany. I sold them 14 years later for $700. Not too shabby---and yeah, I'll say it...sometimes I miss those pups.

All you stuck-up eliteist can stick it up your ****-cutter :biggrin:

While most of you snot-noses were wiping your own excrement on the walls, and still peeing your diapers, I was rocking Black Dog at concert levels with a woodie. LOL!
    Bravo,
    Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2011
    They're pretty darn cool with rock; spectacular? Nah...just different, and they have their niche audience---much like SDA. For someone to say 901's lack "midrange"...huh? You need your ears replaced, quickly. If nothing else, 901's got midrange. That comment just has zero credibility for anyone that isn't legally deaf. I owned my pair for 14 years, I'm pretty certain I know what they sound like. I wasn't running them on a 25 watt receiver. The EQ was connected into a line level ext processor loop on my preamp, then out to 2 bridged PM840 Soundcraftsmen amps (600watts/rms 1200watt peaks). They were about 10' apart, 9" off the rear wall from the rear 901 apex of the cabinet, on Bose stands. EQ was set flat.

I'd sip the hateraide with those who partake, but I have to admit I liked them. Never knew what "digititus" was until I bought conventional "monkey coffins." Just sayin.

There's a member here named "Gidrah" he's an old Army buddy of mine (I affectionately referred to him as "ski") anywho---back in 1990 I invited a bunch of troops over for Thanksgiving dinner, and ski got a listen to my 901's, of course that setup was terrible--a very small house (like 900 square feet, 3 bedroom small), with a very small livingroom; I still got the impression ski was impressed--even in that god awful listening environment. In Germany I had HUGE living room, and they really impressed in that environment.

Ski...you out there man? I need backup...LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2011
    Fast forward to 2011, my assessment of the 901 VI would be:

PROS:
    Very listenable, no-fatiguing
    Make barely acceptable CD's sound acceptable
    Large soundstage
    Meaty midrange, visceral/tactile bass
    "Live" feel to them

CONS:
    Smearing of the soundstage--not much image specificity
    Treble only extends to about 13kHz, so not much air/extension
    Can sound a bit "hooty" if not in the right environment/setup properly
    Require proper surfaces for reflecting sound from rear drivers
    Need a lot of power to really strut their stuff--and not very efficient

This is not a speaker you sit an sip wine to, while listening to delicate music--nor classical, unless it's BIG orchestra/complex kind of stuff. This is a pop/rock, progressive jazz speaker. Low level listening can make them sound "distant" almost echoey (is that a word?), give them a little more gas and they move the music forward to the front baffle plane appropriately.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2011
    I remembered their sound from way back and when I got a pair I decided I wasn't into them at all any more.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2011
    Now that my components have gone thru numerous upgrades, I'd love to hear a set of VI's on my system just to satisfy an old itch.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2011
    Joe08867 wrote: »
    I have friends that do the ear bleeding level showoff move.

I prefer to hear something with horns in it or some jazz to let me know how it really sounds.

If I wanted loud only I would get some PA speakers.

I'm into test tones and the stuff in between the channels on tv.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited September 2011
    The trouble is our judgement of the speaker is much like that girl we
    used to know in High School. It's maybe not all we thought it was.
    I went down this path, and while some of it sounded pretty decent
    for our budgets back then, a look at the local CL shows a lot of better
    speakers out there for the same or less. Ok for a second system perhaps,
    but not the prime rig.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2011
    Now that my components have gone thru numerous upgrades, I'd love to hear a set of VI's on my system just to satisfy an old itch.

Thats what I did, don't waste your money. :wink:

I compared to SDA's and other speakers using top notch components and they pretty much sucked no matter what I connected to them.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2011
    You smoking jacket, brandy snifter types that dissect music, rather than listen to it, wouldn't get it either. Damn kids. :biggrin:

I think I'll buy a pair at full retail, just to piss some of you off.
    ..if you really want to piss off a lot of oldtimers in here buy two Emotiva amps to pair with them..lolo...it will be a smack down no hold's bar in here..pay pre-view only...j/kin..An(Analogy)..lolo..:wink:..(snifter types)...lmao..well said..Not An Analogy...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • thesurfer
    edited September 2011
    You smoking jacket, brandy snifter types that dissect music, rather than listen to it, wouldn't get it either. Damn kids. :biggrin:

Now, thats what im talking bout, You all just been schooled,,,
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2011
    You smoking jacket, brandy snifter types that dissect music, rather than listen to it, wouldn't get it either. Damn kids. :biggrin:..Signature post for sure...well in this Club...great post Man..The newbie's hail you for posting this!..:cool:

.+100...and then some...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • nclh7
    nclh7 Posts: 38
    edited September 2011
    I like my 901's. I also like my 10B's, my Kef Reference, Mission, Dali and Dahlquist speakers. A lot of you who rip Bose for no highs, no lows have lost your highs and lows. Part of the aging process. The results of a hearing test may surprise you. The older I get, the more I like the 901's, particularly since they do mid so well. Funny, Bose puts a driver on the rear=bad. Definitive Texhnology, Snell, Revel, etc=good??