come on you sub boffs, help me out!!!

Options
mikeyboy
mikeyboy Posts: 2
I am running rt600i's as all 4 main speakers and a csi30 center on a soon to be Harman Kardon Recevier... I got the psw202 but am wondering is it worth hooking up? From what I read, the 600's have a lower frequency response (30hz ish) as opposed to the subs 40... I know I know, the sub will give my bass more volume but I live in an apartment and don't want to get kicked out unnecisarily...

Will there be an improvement in sound QUALITY or just bass VOLUME?

Also, if you think I should hook it up, are we talking fronts all set to small, rears to large? or what???

Many thanks to all that help!:)

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The 600's don't go anywhere near 30Hz, at any reasonable level anyway. One thing you have to remember about 'speaker' freq ratings, is the FCC has standards. Those standards apply to powered speakers. A powered speaker (ie your sub), cannot be rated 'overall' but rather the -3db downpoint (maybe 6, I can't remember).

Now I have had some Canadian Whiskey tonight, so don't quote me word for word, but I promise I'm on the right track.

Passive speakers do not have this standard governing them, so they usually provide (Polk does at least), both a -3db downpoint, AND an 'overall' rating (usually -10db down).

I say the sub will compliment nicely, you should try it out. I'm willing to bet, the 202, in-room, corner loaded, will reach near 30-35Hz (-3db), and sounds PERFECT for an apartment setting. Plus, nothing like a dedicated LFE channel for HT.

As far as small and large, I'm in the large camp, if the mains have 6.5 inch woofs, esp if it is a tower design, but let your ears decide, try it both ways on familar material.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.