Has anyone Deflexed their cabinets?

Options
awe-d-o-file
awe-d-o-file Posts: 146
edited August 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I've used Deflex a long time. I was introduced to it when I was in the high end 12V industry. I've used it on door interior metal, sub boxes and as isolation footings in home gear. Anybody do their Polk home speakers with it? Here is a link to it in Michael Percy's catalog where it is on page 20. ( a 24 page .pdf file - give it time) They also sell small circles to attach to speaker magnets

http://www.percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf

ET

System: MF Trivista SACD > Placette passive> CJ passive horizontal bi-amp> MF 2500A(LF) MF2100(HF) > 1.2TL's

Other: Speltz silver Eichmann IC's & speaker wire, Econotweaks Detail Magnifiers, PS Audio P-300(source), R. Gray 600, Al Sekala's AC R/C filters, R. Gray HT PC's, Oyaide R-1's,WPC-Z , M-1, Herbie's & DIY Isolation
Room: Qty 7 - 4' tall 18" diam. bass traps, Qty 4 - 4' X 2' X 4" panels. All DIY - man my wife is tolerant!
Post edited by awe-d-o-file on

Comments

• ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Stuffing a box serves two purposes:
    1 - reduce reflections so that high freq sound doesn't bounce off the walls and back through the speaker cone.
    2 - keep the temp constant. This may sound silly, but can make the box look 25% bigger.

My advice if you use Deflex is to remove the batting already in the box(if any), apply Deflex, and put the batting back.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I've used Parts Express's Sonic Barrier before with good results.

Comparing two nearly identical shaped panels on one pair of speakers, the panel with SB will vibrate less and sounds deader with the knuckle test. Time to invest in some more and get rid of that egg crate foam.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I used rubberized latex driveway sealer with excellent results. Before the coating the box would ring when whacked with a hammer. After dead thud.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Im on the same boat as Ben , I use auto sound deadner spray or undercoating in all my boxes after the silicone treatment. , Then I use good ole fiberglass insulation , picked up 3 brand new rolls that fell of the truck hahaha, so I stuffed them in a 3 big trash bags after rolling back up to keep ready for the next ......... Box or boxes ...IM so redaneck sometimes.... it kills my wife !! muhahahaha
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    I've used Parts Express's Sonic Barrier before with good results.

Comparing two nearly identical shaped panels on one pair of speakers, the panel with SB will vibrate less and sounds deader with the knuckle test. Time to invest in some more and get rid of that egg crate foam.

I use the sonic barrier as well....just make sure you use really good pressure when you install it and it will never come off. If you only lightly apply it , the adhesive doesnt get a good enough bite and the larger panels will pull away from the enclosure.

For subs I use the 1-1/4" 3 layer.....for everything else the 3/4" 3 layer.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I used extra adhesive when applying it, thanks though.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited August 2008
    Options
    If you use Deflex, do you put it on all panels or just the the rear panel?
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I coated all but the front when I did mine.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • zingo
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Alright, thanks Ben. I just was not sure if it was applied the same way other treatments are applied. What can I say, concentric circles throw me off. :p
  • zingo
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Or someone could give this stuff a try. It's even on sale for $13 a can at PE. The reviews are good and it looks pretty easy to use.

Quiet Kote Pro
    vb-1s-pro-lg.jpg