Opinions Please

abmarsh
abmarsh Posts: 109
edited January 2003 in Speakers
Here are the three speaker options I'm considering.

1. Purchase a PSW-650 to mate with my SDA-2As. Cost around $550.

2. Purchase LSi9s and PSW-650. Sell the SDAs. Cost around $1500.

3. Purchase LSi15s. Sell the SDAs. Cost around $1500.

Some of the decision will be driven by my auditioning the LSi speaker line this weekend. I'm just putting out feelers.

I don't guess I'll go wrong with any of these options.:confused:
Post edited by abmarsh on

Comments

• Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited January 2003
    I can't see any problem with any of those choices. Although I am a little biased towards the 9s ;)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2003
    4. None of the above. Keep the SDAs and buy a different sub.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • abmarsh
    edited January 2003
    I'd consider that, too. My heart isn't set on the PSW-650.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    Looks like you are more interested in 2ch audio than home theater? If that is the case, I say go with option 3 - and someday down the road consider a sub for home theater if you feel that you really need it.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited January 2003
    The LSi will be different than your SDA. Make sure you really like the LSi before considering selling your SDA. ATCVenom here prefers the SDA over the LSi.

Maurice
  • abmarsh
    edited January 2003
    I'm going down to Richmond this weekend to check out the LSi line. Phuz is right, I'm much more of a music listener than home theater, although I like a movie to sound good, too.

I guess I have to admit that I've gotten a little dissatisfied with the sound of my SDAs. I bought them new in 87. Maybe it's just that I've had them a long time and I'm wondering what else is out there.

What I'm looking to do is build a good home theater system a step at a time. I recently picked up a Yamaha RX-V2300 receiver, so I've got a power source that'll handle most anything adequately. I could either keep the SDAs as the mains and build from there or start fresh. Keeping the SDAs and picking up a subwoofer to start is the most attractive financial option, but I want to make sure I'm going to be satisfied for a long time.

Like I said, I'll be doing some listening this weekend. I haven't heard any of the LSi lineup yet - there's a chance I won't like them, but I doubt that.

There was recently a thread in one of the forums regarding upper midrange harshness in the SDA-2s, which I have to agree with. Do you SDA afficianados feel like other SDA models have this same harshness? If not, I may look at picking up a good used set of 1Cs or the big boys.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    abmarsh, glad to hear that you are going to give them a listen! I don't think you will be disappointed. I am young, and never got into the SDAs much because I preferred the LSi line right off. ATC is right, they are different and each has it's own pos. and neg. aspects.

Remember they do take some time to 'break in,' and don't be affriad to crank it!

Let us know what you decide.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    No, be very afraid to ABUSE them, by clipping your amp. ;)

The toss-ups, imo between the LSi and the SDA line are this (nutshelled of course). SDA, un-real soundstage, stereo image, and warmth. Lsi, incredibly flat, accurate, and detailed.

BUT, having said that, they are not light-years apart, the differences, imo, are subtle, but noticeable. I think in the years to come, the LSi line might actually develop the following SDA has, and that says a lot. We will see how the next few years go, and what changes are made in the line.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited January 2003
    You know, I would so like to see the LSi line become a classic. To date the 3000.00 dollar SDA1 is the only speaker that ever "floored" me on a demo with it's soundstage and imaging.
    Of course I was a youngster then and couldn't afford it.
    I am waiting for my recently purchased LSi9's to arrive and we shall see. I've never heard a pair. Maybe at this point in my life I had the cash to buy a classic first hand. (fingers crossed)
    Admarsh, what cha gonna do wit dos SDA's if ya upgrade to LSi's
    :cool:
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • abmarsh
    edited January 2003
    Don't know yet. It depends on whether, or not, I decide that I just have to have a set of LSis. I guess I'd probably sell them. I've kept them in great shape despite being in the Navy and moving a dozen times. I still have the original boxes, packing, and manuals.
  • abmarsh
    edited January 2003
    Well, I went listening to speakers today. I listened to the LSi-15 and LSi-7. I listened to the 15 by themselves and coupled with a PSW-450. I only listened to the 7s paired with the subwoofer.

They sound really good, but not really "better" than my SDAs. I think I'll hang on to the SDAs for a while longer, but will look into getting a subwoofer.

I may also look for a good, used set of SDA-1Cs or SRSs.

Thanks for the input/opinions.
  • mfalesch
    mfalesch Posts: 8
    edited January 2003
    Hey abmarsh......

I started the thread about the SDA-2 midrange harshness the other week.

EQ'ing helps a lot and I, too, am now considering adding a subwoofer and keeping the SDA-2's.

I'll be interested to hear which sub you go with.......keep us posted.

Dumb question for anyone: on the Polk site they only show a couple of Polk subs as "compatible" with the SDA-2's. What are the determining factors on sub compatibility with SDA-2's? I didn't think the imaging/interconnect cable made a difference due to omnidirectionality of low freq's - or am I missing something very basic and fundamental here?

Any reason a M&K or Velo - or other sub wouldn't be compatible with SDA-2's??
    Trane & Miles, Wolfgang & Gustav on:

Polk SDA-2's & PSW650
    Amps: Crown PSA-2 & Straight Line Two
    Sony CD
    TTable:Thorens TD125 MKII, SME arm Shure V15 Type III
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited January 2003
    abmarsh,

I own the 2B's and 2.3TL's. To my ears I found the 2B's on the harsh side, but only with certain recordings. I found by upgrading the interconnects and speaker cable to MIT's upper-mid level stuff that it helped alot. The highs became a little smoother and the bass became more pronounced. Now, the 2.3TL's are never harsh and there is plenty of bass. I love them and have found no need for a sub. I think the biggest difference is the SL2000 tweeter in the 2B's and the SL3000's (3) in the 2.3TL's. The SL2000 has a peak at 13,000 kHz where as the SL3000 has a flat response, it's smooth. If you're looking to upgrade, I recommend going to the TL series.

F1nut
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• abmarsh
    edited January 2003
    I've placed an Hsu VTF-2 subwoofer on order. It should be here Tuesday. I'll post my opinions after living with it a while.

Are the TLs the only SDAs that use the SL3000 tweeters? When did Polk start using it?

When I bought my SDAs, the store had a set of the previous year's SDA-1As sitting next to them. I really considered them, but they were the walnut cabinet (I preferred the oak) and the reviews I had read stated that the 2As and 1Bs SDA crossover had been improved.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited January 2003
    Yes, only the TL series which started in 1989. I should also mention that they have improved crossovers too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk