Options
2»

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2008
    Options
    GV#27 wrote: »
    Bass falls off too early, thanks though.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Schematics and blueprints (cut sheets) of his speakers would have been a better way of saying it. Ask him.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    edited August 2008
    Options
    strider wrote: »
    What have you built so far, Jim?

So far, I've built:
    -- a pair of Metronomes w/ Fostex FE108Esigma drivers

-- pair of Half Changs w/ Fostex FE206e drivers

-- a Triska sub (except I used plywood instead of MDF, added a lot of internal bracing, which required changing the vertical dimension slightly, and went for a two-tone wood and black finish.)

-- currently in the middle of a pair of Fonkens w/ Fostex FE127e drivers; built stands (w/ CD storage) for them already.

-- awaiting delivery of a pair of Fostex F120A drivers; I anticipate building Fonkensteen cabinets (large version of the Fonken, although the design has not yet been released.) May also build a pair of Metronome enclosures as well and see which box I like better. Then I could put a pair of FX120's into the other box. (FX120's are the same as F120A's, but have ferrite instead of AlNiCo magnets, making them a bit less than half the price of the F120A's.)

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a couple good examples under your belt. I lucked out on a couple of used FE127e's from a guy on Audio Circle and am also in the middle of building a pair of Fonkens. So far they're going along pretty well, but I haven't gotten to the 45 degree cuts of the baffle once the cabinet is together.

I'd love to see pictures of yours if you ever get the chance.

Ben
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    edited August 2008
    Options
    strider wrote: »
    I'd love to see pictures of yours if you ever get the chance.

Ben

I'll try to remember to post my results here. Current estimate for completion is early to mid-Sept for initial results. The Baltic Birch ply didn't cut as cleanly as other 'cabinet grade' ply I have used in the past; the edges chip out (fray?) If they sound as good as I hope, I will take them a part again after testing & cover them in red oak veneer (to match the stands.)

Good luck w/ yours!

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.