Options
2»

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited September 2008
    Options
    GV#27 wrote: »
    Brad what frequency is the main sub crossed over at ,and how far down does your new one extend?

The main sub is crossed over at 80 Hz and digs below 20 Hz. The new sub is rated down to 35 Hz and is also crossed over at around 80 Hz. I haven't played around with the crossover settings yet. If you have any suggestions, let me know.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Early B. wrote: »
    The main sub is crossed over at 80 Hz and digs below 20 Hz. The new sub is rated down to 35 Hz and is also crossed over at around 80 Hz. I haven't played around with the crossover settings yet. If you have any suggestions, let me know.
    So other than the last 15hz both subs are covering the same range.If you like the results then don't change a thing other then maybe experimenting with the phase controls.If you wanted the small one to work as a mid bass you would need to reduce its bass output below 50 hz ,either with a hi pass filter or by plugging the port if its a ported design.At the same time you would lower the other subs crossover to about 50 hz.Some tweaking of levels and phase would be required.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Today I switched out the driver in my new sub as originally planned with an Ascendant Audio 10" woofer. Geez -- what a diference it makes! More heart pounding terror will be unleashed to all those who dare to hear my HT system from this moment onward.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Systems
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I finally finished the little fella.I tried about 5 different stains and didn't like the colour of any and they tended to look abit streaky.In the end I decided just to keep it a natural blonde and Im glad I did as I like the results.
    It's still a couple of shades lighter than the flooring but it matches in well IMO.
    I chickened out on doing the hi gloss finish,opting instead for 5 coats of semi gloss lacquer.
    As the pic shows the control box is not quite completed but I hope by weeks end to have it up and running.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Looks fantastic! Great job.

This might inspire me to re-laminate the side panels of my Lsi's and my subs in some exotic veneer. Now finding the time, is another matter........lol

Enjoy the new beast.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I like the semi-gloss finish, it looks great.

I've heard that to get birch to take stain without streaking you should use a wood pre-conditioner. I tried it on a set of birch shelves I made for my albums. It did help, at least compared to the sample I did without using the conditioner, but it still had some blotchiness to it.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Systems
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I was thinking of trying wood conditioner it may have helped,but none of the stain colours were close anyway.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • tx_polkhead
    tx_polkhead Posts: 248
    edited September 2008
    Options
    so where do we place an order???
    looks good, have you had the 'look with your eyes not your fingers' discussion with the kids?
    Abel
    Polk Audio RTA 12c's, Monitor 7c, Monitor 5JR+, SDA CRS+
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited September 2008
    Options
    The wood conditioner is overrated. It helped when I was working with Birch last. In my case, this is russian birch plywood.

I used a stronger than normal flash to overexpose the grain. In reality, these speakers are of an amber colour and can go almost red in low light to a light honey in sunlight.

You can see there is still some blotchiness to the finish. The topcoat is wax, buffed in. So it's just pre-conditioner, stain, then wax. The stain I used reversed the contrast of the grain in strong light conditions. Knots stayed dark while light streaks became dark and dark went light.

p.s. I had some wood leftover from making these speakers that I made into a pair of nesting tables for a friend. I did the same as you, left it natural and clearcoated. The natural color of birch is nice and smooth, albeit a bit light.
  • Systems
    edited September 2008
    Options
    looks good, have you had the 'look with your eyes not your fingers' discussion with the kids?
    Yep,when they were very young I gave them an upclose demo of what Mr Vice does to little fingers that push in dust caps on speakers.:D;)It seems to have worked on them,but not so convincingly on the cats.:mad:
    ShinAce wrote: »
    I did the same as you, left it natural and clearcoated. The natural color of birch is nice and smooth, albeit a bit light.
    I figured staying natural was the safest bet as I didn't want to risk the blotchies or poor colour choice.
    I quite like the natural/semi gloss combo and plan to finish another project the same.

Cool lookin speakers,looks like Dayton woof/tweet?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Actually, it's a Pioneer woofer and an Audax tweet(now discontinued).
    290-023 and 276-152

Makes a killer good bookshelf, but a good mid bass or sub module would really help it along, ;)
  • Systems
    edited October 2008
    Options
    After a few weeks of use and some tweaking to getting it dialed in, I have to say it does make a small but worthwhile improvement.I just watched IronMan which is very entertaining and very bass intensive.The MBM added noticeably to the impact and punch of the many explosive effects.

While I expected the unit to help with movie soundtracks I was surprised that it was benificially to the enjoyment of 5.1 music soundtracks as well.

I like watching the concerts shown sundays on HD Net as I find the PQ and the DD5.1 SQ to be very good.Recent broadcasts of MOE and Rusted Root while not exactly my cup of tea musically the SQ was so good it held my attention.
    With these 2 concerts the bass guitar was carried in the LFE channel and its here that the MBM really showed its worth.

The reproduction of the bass notes were very tight and tuneful and completely lacking overhang and boominess.This is the best $2.75 driver I've ever purchased.:)(not including the $20+ for shipping)
    As well on all material played through it it never ran into over excursion problem's and the 100 watt amp's clipping indicators never flashed as long as it's level was set correctly.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing