EQ problems...

JoshParsons84
JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
edited September 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm havin trouble gettin my EQ set properly in. I have an Alpine CDA-9831 deck. My settings are:

Band 1: 60 Hz, 5 dB, 1 width
Band 2: 150 Hz, 7 dB, 1 width
Band 3: 4 K, 12 dB, 1 width
Band 4: 12.5 K, 12 dB 1 width

My HPF and LPF are all put on 80 Hz and my time correction is:

Front L: 1.1rms
Front R: 0.1rms
Rear L: 0.7
Rear R: 0

It sounds great but only certain rap songs the treble will sound like "shhh!!!!!" from the tweets at relatively loud levels.

Oh my gear is Boston Acoustics Pro60 components up front, Polk Audio db690 6x9 in the back along with Boston Acoustics S45 4" right beside the Polk's. My sub is a Boston Acoustics SPG555. My fronts and rears are ran off an Alpine PDX-4.400 and my sub is ran off an Alpine PDX-1.1000. To me sometimes certain rap songs have that craklin sound. Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong here?
Post edited by JoshParsons84 on

Comments

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2008
    If everything else sounds great aside from certain rap songs my guess would be the rap songs are recorded poorly. This is assuming you're using CDs you bought and not MP3s from an ipod or on a CD you burned. In that case I'd point the finger at the mp3 being ripped poorly.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2008
    Why do you have everything up? If you have 60Hz at +5dB...and thats your lowest increase, decrease everything by 5dB.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • JoshParsons84
    edited August 2008
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Why do you have everything up? If you have 60Hz at +5dB...and thats your lowest increase, decrease everything by 5dB.
    -Cody

I did that and it got overall not nearly as loud as before. I'm really a terrible tweaker but I'm trying.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2008
    I'm havin trouble gettin my EQ set properly in. I have an Alpine CDA-9831 deck. My settings are:

It sounds great but only certain rap songs the treble will sound like "shhh!!!!!" from the tweets at relatively loud levels.

Oh my gear is Boston Acoustics Pro60 components up front, Polk Audio db690 6x9 in the back along with Boston Acoustics S45 4" right beside the Polk's. My sub is a Boston Acoustics SPG555. My fronts and rears are ran off an Alpine PDX-4.400 and my sub is ran off an Alpine PDX-1.1000. To me sometimes certain rap songs have that craklin sound. Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

12db of boost??? That's the problem. Back those down and the bad noises should stop. It might not be as loud, but you won't damage your equipment. ;)
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2008
    Amen! Thats the reason right there! If you need 12 db of boost, you either need your hearing checked or a bigger amp. 4 KHz and 12 KHz are ear splitters and forcing your amp to quadruple its power at those frequencies is pulling power away from the other frequencies and hence the hammered **** sound quality. A good rule of thumb is A) cut rather than boost and B) never boost more than 3 db.

Start with everything down and turn up each band til it sounds right.

Also, try some different frequency centers.

60 is fine but Id move the 2nd band up to 250 Hz. 200-315 is where a lot of cars have some resonance. 800-1000 is also a problem area most of the time. Center a band on 800 and tinker with it. Id also move the 3rd band up to 5 K. That way it would cover 3.2-8 better and this is a whole "grouping" of sound. Id also move the 5th band up to 16 K. Just about every car Ive ever seen on an RTA starts rolling off sharply at 12 and takes a nose dive at 20.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • JoshParsons84
    edited August 2008
    OK thanx for the info. I'll go try that right now, what about the Time Correction? Is it something that u must do when tweakin everything else? Or does it take away from SQ? Lemme know something. This is my very first system in my own car. I love the sound I got, but I can already tell I wont keep it forever.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2008
    Time alignment can effect phase which can cause some changes in tonality. Its best to set the time alignment first, then EQ then go back and fine tune the time alignment.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dirthog
    dirthog Posts: 124
    edited August 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Time alignment can effect phase which can cause some changes in tonality. Its best to set the time alignment first, then EQ then go back and fine tune the time alignment.

Then fine tune EQ.

More than likely it's not going to be an overnight thing. Be patient and keep trying.
    HU: 880PRS
    Front: SR6500
    Amp: Alpine MRV-F545
    Sub: SR124-DVC
    Amp: Alpine MRD-M1005
  • JoshParsons84
    edited August 2008
    It would be a lot easier if I had some sort of guide to turn to. Like tellin me about the width and the dB settings and all that good stuff. I'm gonna look and see what I can find.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2008
    No such thing as a guide and itll take a long time. Youll get it to where you think it sounds good, listen to it for a while then hear something you dont like. Work it out, think it sounds good, listen to it for a while then hear something else you dont like.....and on and on.

The best thing you can do is to do a lot of listening to good home audio systems. Also go find some SQ competitions. MECA has several in your area. Find a couple and go listen to some of the SQ systems. 90% of the guys out there are only too happy to demo their systems. The only way to learn what sounds best is to do a whole lot of listening. Im in my 3rd year of competing and am JUST NOW figuring out what goes where and such.

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited August 2008

http://www.dak.com/reviews/Tutorial_frequencies.cfm

http://www.ethanwiner.com/equalizers.html

A couple of sites that will help you get the most out of your EQs.

I'll echo what has been said earlier- you don't want huge amounts of boost or cuts in order to "get things right." I suspect part of the problem stems from the fact you've got too much going on in terms of equipment playing in the vehicle. Start with just your front speakers (Boston Acoustics Pro60 components) and your sub playing, and tune best you can. If you then decide you can't go without rear fill, start tuning your 6X9s. 4" speakers are redundant, especially beside 6X9s when you have a competent front stage that's up to the task without interferance from the rears. In car audio, less truly is more, especially when it comes to other speaker locations interfering with the imaging cues and sound quality of your front stage. Just because a vehicle manufacturer might design an "upgraded" factory system that uses 15 drivers doesn't make it a good idea ;).
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited August 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Amen! Thats the reason right there! If you need 12 db of boost, you either need your hearing checked or a bigger amp. 4 KHz and 12 KHz are ear splitters and forcing your amp to quadruple its power at those frequencies is pulling power away from the other frequencies and hence the hammered **** sound quality. A good rule of thumb is A) cut rather than boost and B) never boost more than 3 db.

Start with everything down and turn up each band til it sounds right.

Also, try some different frequency centers.

60 is fine but Id move the 2nd band up to 250 Hz. 200-315 is where a lot of cars have some resonance. 800-1000 is also a problem area most of the time. Center a band on 800 and tinker with it. Id also move the 3rd band up to 5 K. That way it would cover 3.2-8 better and this is a whole "grouping" of sound. Id also move the 5th band up to 16 K. Just about every car Ive ever seen on an RTA starts rolling off sharply at 12 and takes a nose dive at 20.

i agree, 3db max. cutting is the better choice.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • dirthog
    edited August 2008
    I have 3 tuning sheets with something similar to one of the links that helps me a lot. I find them more useful than the chart you see on the link.

I scanned them to my computer but I'm having a hard time converting them to upload. If you would like to have them send me a pm with your email address.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited August 2008
    Still studyin the sheets dirthog thanx BTW! I've got a dumb question: is there any way for me to distribute different wattage to each channel of my 4-channel amp? I.E. 100 watts goin to my fronts and like 50-75 goin to backs.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2008
    Kinda. Adjusting the front and rear gains so that they blend in better will accomplish the same thing basically.

• dirthog
    edited September 2008
    Hey joshparsons, are those sheets helping at all?