Simple Question about passing video

Options
Mike682
Mike682 Posts: 2,074
I have an HK AVR235 and an older Sony 32"CRT with only one composite and one s-video input. The TV will default to composite input if both composite and s-video are hooked up simultaneously. I know, it's a dinosaur, however for a standard def picture, it is very good.

I want to pass my s-video inputs from my DVD and Standard Def Directv through the receiver to the TV. I can pass the video, however the receiver has to actually be on when passing video.

Is this common? Can the newer receivers pass video while it is off?

Keep in mind my receiver does not have composite to s-video conversion. So I'm just looking to use the receiver to pass all my s-video sources to the one s-video input on the tv.

Thanks
Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
Mains: polk R30
Center: polk CSi3
Rear Surrounds: polk R20
Subwoofer: polk PSW404
DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
Post edited by Mike682 on

Comments

• McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I think that is pretty common. It has to enable certain switches to pass from one input to the output and that requires the AVR to be on.

All the inputs are not direct connected to the single output all at the same time. (the only way I can think of it would be able to passively do it)

One option would be to connect whatever you use most to the tv through a composite connection (would also have to run 2 cables for sound to the TV) and to the AVR with an S-Video one (both connected at the same time). That way, when you just want to watch something, you can through the TV and when you want higher quality with good sound - turn on the AVR and tune the TV to the S-Video input (you will also have to turn down the sound on the TV or mute the TV with this option when you want to listen through the AVR)

Sorry, thats all I can think of without knowing your equipment better.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited August 2008
    Options
    McLoki wrote: »
    I think that is pretty common. It has to enable certain switches to pass from one input to the output and that requires the AVR to be on.

All the inputs are not direct connected to the single output all at the same time. (the only way I can think of it would be able to passively do it)

One option would be to connect whatever you use most to the tv through a composite connection (would also have to run 2 cables for sound to the TV) and to the AVR with an S-Video one (both connected at the same time). That way, when you just want to watch something, you can through the TV and when you want higher quality with good sound - turn on the AVR and tune the TV to the S-Video input (you will also have to turn down the sound on the TV or mute the TV with this option when you want to listen through the AVR)

Sorry, thats all I can think of without knowing your equipment better.

Michael

That would work.

Another thing I'd try is to use an external S-Video or composite video switcher - those run anywhere from $20-30 but then you can switch all your sources without having to turn on the AVR.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!