bi-amping RT800i's

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited January 2003 in Electronics
Ok, i know bi-amping has be discussed up and down, left and right. i'm thinking of bi-amping my 800i's. Here is my question.

I know how to do it.. split the upper and lower inputs. I read a post in the archives on it. I think i understand how it works. One thing raised some questions was that when running the lower inputs on the 800i's, you hook them off a seperate amp.. which is run off the LFE out? Is that going to overdrive the drivers in the 800's? the 800's don't have sub drivers.. just a 2 way design.
I guess best way to find out.. it so try it.

any thoughts?

thanks
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Bi-wire - 2 pairs of wire run from 1 amp.
    Bi-amp - 2 pairs of wire, independent of each other, run from 2 amps.

No LFE involved.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • danger boy
    edited January 2003
    Options
    cool Russman.

just want to get this right and not blow a driver or something. ha ha ha. upper binding post run off of receiver. and bottom run off external amp from the pre-outs? correct?

thanks
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thats one way to do it, sure.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited January 2003
    Options
    or if you have a 2x4 output amp you can run all 4 outputs to the upper and lower binding post on the speaks, other wise a 4 channel amp with a splitter cable to split your left and right pre-outs into 4 instead of the 2, or 2 -2 channel amps... I didn't notice a difference when i bi-amped my rti70's.. but i guess i don't have a super critical ear and i don't have alot of experiance with other sounding gear to compare what i hear besides my own,
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Don't confuse him all over again, let's work with what he has.

Baby steps. ;)

How are your 70's bi-amped? Using the Integra and the M-504?

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • faster100
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I know i sometimes make that mistake, well when they were bi-amped i ran the rca's from the pre-outs to the amp, and my 504 has dual outputs A/B if you will... switched. and with the A amp i ran a wire set to the bottom binding post and with the B amp i ran a single wire set to the tweeters on each speaker. so i could actually (no real reason to) turn off the tweeters or woofers with the A switch or b switch,
    It supposed to be 165 wpc x2 and when i called onkyo they said it output 165 to each of the speaker terminal outputs x4, so i thought that seems alittle much for 165 watts to each tweeter.. Polk actually said that was fine how i had it hooked and would not be to much power, who knows, the experts i guess but i decided to take some stress off the tweets and just use one set of amps and Bi-wire them instead.

I also for fun ran the tweets to my integra internal amp and the mids to the M504, stil didn't notice much difference
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • danger boy
    edited January 2003
    Options
    yeah, for me baby steps are best. I want a simple bi-wired hook up. nothing to extravagant please. simple = better to me

I guess the thought is that the tweeter and the mid bass when bi-amped get more and cleaner power, correct?
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    yeah, for me baby steps are best. I want a simple bi-wired hook up. nothing to extravagant please. simple = better to me

I guess the thought is that the tweeter and the mid bass when bi-amped get more and cleaner power, correct?

Wait, now I'm confused.... do you want to bi-wire or bi-amp?
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • faster100
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The easiest way to look at it is this, BI-AMP involves extra amps and wire, BI-Wire just involves an extra wire on each speaker, doubleing up wires of you will,

Ok Danger never mind the BI-amp thing i just don't see the large improvment, as i have done this test....

well unless you want to, i'm not your boss, LOL

BI-wire= Ok you have a speaker wire from your receiver coming out of the left and right channels ? Correct

Now remove the gold jumper off the binding post of the 800's

you now have a set of posts with no wires attached, run quickly and get another wire run same for each sepaker, attach one end to the remaining post on each speaker

Ok now where do they hook on the receiver????

you take left wire and double it up on the receiver with the one already in the left channel,

same with right or what ever one you start with first,

so now it looks like a clump of wires out of each channel on the receiver, but what it is is 2 sets of wire plugged into each side, make, sure you get red(positive) and black (negative) correct on all wires when you go from speaker to receiver, and now turn it on and look for smoke, No really your all set.. I hope you didn't already know this and i made an **** of myself like you didn't know what to do, LOL Ok Ok its for all the newbies also

have fun
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • danger boy
    edited January 2003
    Options
    BI-AMP

i already mastered bi-wire. My typo in an ealier post.. i was way sleepy.. it was very late. I'm talking bi-amping front speakers.

thanks
  • faster100
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Oh Oh Oh, my bad danger boy... Ok first things first. you need 4 amp outputs from your main amp or receiver... do you have this??
    This means a 2 channel amp with 4 binding post outputs... or two 2 channel amps prefferably of the same model and power output..

if you answered yes??

follow the above instructions a few posts up from myself except instead of doubleing up the dual wires from each speaker, run each wire set to a amp. tops (tweeters) to left and right amp 1
    and bottoms (woofers/mids) to left and right on amp 2

Thats all

Let me know if this helped at all....
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited January 2003
    Options
    here is a very generic pic to display what i'm talking about, substitute the amp i have shown with your two 2 channel amps or with a 2 channel amp and the front mains internal amp from the receiver
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • danger boy
    edited January 2003
    Options
    thanks for the pic faster100, i'm a visual person.. now it does make sense.. although if i purchase a two channel amp. how many of them offer 8 (four sets) binding posts? It seems most of them offer only two that i have seen. so is your amp a 4 channel amp then? or does it have A - B speakers?
  • faster100
    edited January 2003
    Options
    No its a 2 channel with A-B speaker sets on switches... Good i'm glad that helped you out some, No not many newer amps offer this config, what you can do is get a 2 channel amp to power your lower portion of the speakers and power the tweeters with the receivers internal amp for the front mains.

what receiver so you have? brand and model??

HK makes a amp pa-2000 i think that has like 4x45 watts from a 2x input..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp