ferrofluid adding to tweets anybody done this ?

Options
Deadof_knight
Deadof_knight Posts: 980
edited September 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Ive been a lill more than curious but Ive read or heard some where that if you add some more ferrofluid to the tweets , they end up sounding smoothing due to better cooling due to the old stuff bing gone or something to that nature.....

anybody?
:cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
Post edited by Deadof_knight on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2008
    Options
    If the tweet was not originally designed to use FF then adding it will alter a couple of things namely its natural renonant frequency and the Q (or shape of its low end roll off).Depending on the particular tweeter these chances may or may not adversely affect more than the improvements gained in power handling."Some" speaker guru's feel that tweets without ferro fluid sound better.Their reasoning being that the fluid actually causes a slight lag in the voice coils motion so transient response is slowed.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I have also heard of removing it for faster clearer highs, but power handling is sacraficed. I wouldn't mess with them.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited August 2008
    Options
    About 2 years ago, one of the Monitor 10A tweeters had this crackle sound, but I was not able to find a peerless replacement. So, I opened it up (what else could I lose;)) and gave it a dosage of silicon spray. Since then, it has been serving my rear surround channel flawlessly :D

-fredv-
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Hey thanks , I was curious after I started looking if it created a lag . be a neat little trial on some cheapo or tweets Im just gonna playaround with
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • Alvin in AZ
    Alvin in AZ Posts: 1
    edited September 2008
    Options
    http://hackaday.com/2006/06/03/quick-and-dirty-ferrofluid/

Laser printer toner and ester oil used in refrigeration sound good to you? :)

Alvin in AZ
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Sounds like a bad idea...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited September 2008
    Options
    If you still have the SL3000's, then adding FF to them is a good idea as the original will have become rather thick by now. I would remove as much of the original as you can first. However, a better idea would be to replace the SL3000's with the RD0198-1 silk domes.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited September 2008
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    If you still have the SL3000's, then adding FF to them is a good idea as the original will have become rather thick by now. I would remove as much of the original as you can first. However, a better idea would be to replace the SL3000's with the RD0198-1 silk domes.

Plus 1
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben