Surefire Flashlights

Options
Mike682
Mike682 Posts: 2,074
edited May 2011 in The Clubhouse
I have two Surefire lights, a black G2 and a black 6P Defender. Excellent build quality along with a nice output for their sizes. I also bought an LED drop-in assembly and can convert either light to an LED. While I love the runtime of the LEDs, I like the color rendition of incandescent bulbs better.

Anyone else collect/use 'em?
Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
Mains: polk R30
Center: polk CSi3
Rear Surrounds: polk R20
Subwoofer: polk PSW404
DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
Post edited by Mike682 on

Comments

• bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited August 2008
    Options
    my father has two of them and loves them. Took them to iraq with him.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Too bad that won't mount to the rail on my XD without duct tape, I'd have bought'em. :o
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Too bad that won't mount to the rail on my XD without duct tape, I'd have bought'em. :o

Would this:
    http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24462/sesent/00/X300-LED-WeaponLight
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I'm not very big on flashlights, but Dad sells Streamlights, and I've been thoroughly impressed every time I've used one.

The Stinger is what I'd really like. Very small and campact, seems rugged enough, rechargeable and includes a car charger in addition to the house charger, and incredible output.
    http://www.streamlight.com/product/class.aspx?cid=2

ST75000.jpg
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Sorry boys, but I have to go with Pelican; specifically the 7060. It is the best flashlight I have ever used and I have no complaints with it. Dual switches, LED for long battery and bulb life and 130 Lumen output, comes with holster and recharge base, and is very light weight.

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=7060

PEL7060001110.jpg
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I love my Surefire(s). I have one mounted on the rail of my M4, and have a remote thumb switch on the handgrip. Works awesome for clearing rooms... I use the Z2 combatlight with a blue lens diffuser to look for explosives, wouldn't use anything less when my life is dependant on it.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Let's see...I have a D3 w/ 200 lumen lamp, and C2 w/ M60 Malkoff Device, 6PLED, L4, and E1 w/ LED conversion. I've had a G2 in the past.

My C2 and L4 are my everyday carry lights. I have the D3 mounted to my CAR15. The 6PLED stays by the bed. The E1 is for general use around the house.

Is the Pelican plastic? If so I'd like to see you try to beat the tar out of someone with it!

A cheaper alternative for general use would be the LED Lensers from Coastal Cutlery. They have them at the Sportsman Warehouse. Not duty level, but very nice LED lights. I have a couple of those as well.

I'm interested to get my hands on a Fenix light as well.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • MikeC78
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Streamlight isn't bad, they are just too big and bulky. They are not as tactical as a Surefire, they are more of something that a cop would mount inside his vic.

Pelican? The only ones I've seen were a big hunk of rubberized plastic garbage, a flashlight I'd buy for my 12yr/old maybe.
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited August 2008
    Options
    CPF member ABTOMAT here. I love Surefire flashlights, although I've sold most of mine since they don't always fit into my use patterns. I've had:

E1
    G2
    6P
    6R running a P91 with three 123s on a spacer
    9P
    M6 with HOLA

I still use the E1. The others I ended up using as trade bait because I already had a Streamlight Scorpion that I didn't mind losing or damaging in use. The M6 was an absolute blast, but I also sold it because a $300 flashlight that uses $12 in batteries per hour is hard to stomach. It was replaced with a Magcharger police model with a 1160 bulb. As bright as the M6 but with more throw and no battery costs.

I also have over 80 vintage police flashlights in my collection.
  • jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    edited August 2008
    Options
    you guys should look at the Electrolumens flashlights... they are custom made and uber-bright... his newest one is the shade-slayer, using seven hi-powered LEDs.. output is 1400 lumens...

ShadeSlayer-7.1.jpg

or the Wall-of-Fire... 3,000 lumens

WOF-4xP7-4x27mm.1.jpg

:eek:
  • ttomp
    ttomp Posts: 181
    edited August 2008
    Options
    G2
    E2D
    6P
    M3
    M3t
    X300
    M961XM07
  • MikeC78
    edited August 2008
    Options
    The 6P and the G2 seem to be the best bang for the buck. Depending if you want one rubberized or anodized.
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited August 2008
    Options
    The G2 isn't rubberized, it's a molded plastic body with some metal strips for conductors. They're OK but I didn't like it.
  • MikeC78
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Thanks for the correction, you're right... it is a molded plastic body. Yeah, I like the anodized aluminum bodies a lot more. The G2 is just a lot cheaper and can output the same lumens as the 6P.
  • zingo
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I-SIG wrote: »
    Is the Pelican plastic? If so I'd like to see you try to beat the tar out of someone with it!

The handle of that Pelican is technically Xenoy resin, which in my research is a sweet product. The front half and light housing is milled aluminum. I find it very heavy-duty for not being full aluminum or steel.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I love Surefire flashlights! I used to have one on my M4 that I used for defending the farm here in IA. My good friend who is retired special forces took it off and threw it away when he saw me with it. His comment was "tracers work both ways and so do flashlights!".
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I would also throw a couple of offerings from S&W into the ring...

I own a small, yet very bright (95 lumen) Tactical flashlight which goes nicely on the duty rig, and a 9X Galaxy, which is kept next to the bed. Not as bright as the Tactical (65 lumens), but has the benefit of 9 LEDs in addition to the xenon, saving battery life.

BTW, they sell for $35.99 and $29.99, respectively, and both come with batteries, extra bulbs, and cordura cases. Not too shabby, IMO.

http://www.powertechinc.com/delta/index.shtml
    http://www.powertechinc.com/galaxy/9x.shtml
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • ttomp
    ttomp Posts: 181
    edited August 2008
    Options
    dkg999 wrote: »
    I love Surefire flashlights! I used to have one on my M4 that I used for defending the farm here in IA. My good friend who is retired special forces took it off and threw it away when he saw me with it. His comment was "tracers work both ways and so do flashlights!".

Wow I can't belive that he threw away a $250+ flashlight !!! what a waste, you could've sold it on ebay.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited August 2008
    Options
    jon s wrote: »
    you guys should look at the Electrolumens flashlights... they are custom made and uber-bright... his newest one is the shade-slayer, using seven hi-powered LEDs.. output is 1400 lumens...

ShadeSlayer-7.1.jpg

or the Wall-of-Fire... 3,000 lumens

WOF-4xP7-4x27mm.1.jpg

:eek:

Looks like a light saber
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • zingo
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ttomp wrote: »
    Wow I can't belive that he threw away a $250+ flashlight !!! what a waste, you could've sold it on ebay.

I would assume that he didn't literally throw it away...
  • zingo
    edited August 2008
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »
    I would also throw a couple of offerings from S&W into the ring...

I own a small, yet very bright (95 lumen) Tactical flashlight which goes nicely on the duty rig, and a 9X Galaxy, which is kept next to the bed. Not as bright as the Tactical (65 lumens), but has the benefit of 9 LEDs in addition to the xenon, saving battery life.

BTW, they sell for $35.99 and $29.99, respectively, and both come with batteries, extra bulbs, and cordura cases. Not too shabby, IMO.

http://www.powertechinc.com/delta/index.shtml
    http://www.powertechinc.com/galaxy/9x.shtml

I had the Delta flashlight for a while, and I assume I still have it somewhere, but the problem with it is the batteries. Those little 3v Lithium-Ion batteries are ridiculously expensive and weren't worth it for me after a few rounds. I had to switch to something rechargeable, but if they offered a rechargeable version of it I would jump all over it.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited August 2008
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    I would assume that he didn't literally throw it away...

ding, ding, ding ......... we have a winner!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited August 2008
    Options
    dkg999 wrote: »

This is very true, however, you have to ask yourself what having a light is worth to you and your plan to defend your family.

Remember:

Mindset
    Tactics
    Skill
    Equipment

Even some thumbless monkey with a Glop can get the jump on you with the right mindset and tactics. What are you gonna do about it to ensure your girlfriend isn't raped and hacked to death?

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • rs.led
    rs.led Posts: 1
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I think this kind of flashlight is A cheaper another for accepted use would be the LED Lensers from Coastal Cutlery. They accept them at the Sportsman Warehouse. Not assignment level, but actual nice LED lights. I accept a brace of those as well. But it is standard flashlight that makes...Flashlight z!!!
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2009
    Options
    The muzzle flash on my Saiga 12 provides enough light for me. Brief but effective.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Hobbyguy
    Hobbyguy Posts: 317
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I like my Fenix P3D and my Romisen RC-T5
  • flashdix
    flashdix Posts: 1
    edited April 2009
    Options
    That is impressive one performance of that flashlight guys...

edited April 2009
    Options
    Sure Fire flashlight!!!! Check this one out. My brother-in-law thought these would be good stocking stuffers.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • CRESCENDOPOWER
    CRESCENDOPOWER Posts: 153
    edited April 2009
    Options
    edbert wrote: »
    Sure Fire flashlight!!!! Check this one out. My brother-in-law thought these would be good stocking stuffers.

That’s what the dude in the dog thread needed.:p