ok learn me? what is sound stage?

faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited January 2003 in Speakers
Actually i think i know, I recently turned my front mains inward and now when i listen to music in 2 channel it sounds like the center speaker is on, or alot of the sound comes to the center of the room... I myself like this as it doesnt just sound like 2 separete blasting speakers 8 foot apart.. Is this sound stage, or what do you call it if anything. seems some people strive for this effect< or i could be wrong. gives the room a full sound and finishes right in the center of the room, also to conclude on my prior post on amps, I could not tell the difference with or without the amp on my mains except maybe alittle brighter with the receiver alone. so i shall try this with the receiver alone for now.. Movies also sound the same,
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    IMO, sound stage is most important with classical music, but it of course applies to all music.

In 2-channel, a truly great loudspeaker will recreate the presence of an orchestra in terms of the position of all the instruments, both left to right and depth-wise also. The sounds of individual instruments will not wander and the listener will be able to pinpoint the exact location of the performers. Even the size of the concert hall should be conveyed with realism by speakers with great soundstage/imaging/detail capabilities.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited January 2003
    oh ok i see, thanks
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2003
    Here is a link to Stereophile's glossary, slow as hell, but it does have some good info.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited January 2003
    If you have a really great sound stage with awesome imaging, like some of the older polks I am familiar with, particularly the SDA's, you just flat out lose the ability to even locate where the sound comes from. The room fills with sound that envelopes you. The instruments are no longer coming from 8 feet in front of you, some are 3 feet in front, some seem off to the side, occaisionally behind. The imaging is one of the trademarks of Polk that made me fall in love with them some 18 years ago.
    Mind you all Polks are not created equal, I just had a poor imaging experience with the R-50's, but the Polks that do it, do it extraordinarily.
    Just close your eyes and try to listen where the sound is coming from, it can be quite an experience.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited January 2003
    Hey faster, try playing around more with placement so you get front to back imaging along with a great soundstage. Easiest way is to make an equilateral triangle with the two speakers and your head.

Maurice