DIY line stage or passive pre?

Options
Face
Face Posts: 14,340
edited August 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
For my bedroom rig, I'd like to build a passive pre.

I'm still unsure if I need one or two inputs, but I definitely need two outputs since I'm bi-amping.

Right now I have both amps directly hooked up to my CDP. Luckily, my CDP has a adjustable output. But, even at the lowest setting, the volume is still a little high for late night listening. But at least I know gain won't be a problem.

I also am considering gutting my Dynakit Pat-4 and using it's case because it's not a very desirable pre, mods for it are very expensive, and it matches the ST-70 I'm using on my tweeters.

So any suggestions or links I should follow?

(Ben, I may need some funky orange wire)

Thanks,
Mike
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
Post edited by Face on

Comments

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited August 2008
    Options
    On two channel stuff, I have rarely needed more than one input, so that would be my choice (I use my source and stick to it). Dual output is always a good idea, and a third for a subwoofer also isn't a bad move. If the Dynakit case works for you, use it. On my amp, I looked and looked for a case, and ended up having to make one because nothing fit my bill for a reasonable price. Plus, having things match always look cool.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2008
    Options
    If you do not need the gain then use a good 10k ALPS or NOBLE pot or better yet a stepped attenuator.

These are nice looking reasonable priced chassis and available in several sizes..I have used them on several projects and they should be perfect for a preamp,active or passive.http://www.hammondmfg.com/1455ptbla.htm
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Face
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited August 2008
    Options
    You don't necessarily need a passive pre. If you like the volume control on your CDP you could get some basic attenuators, something like Goldenjacks and if you need to split the signal get 2 Y Adapters. If you want to get fancy you could get Ultralink Ys, supposed to be pretty beefy.

IMO the simplest solution is usually the best. Using a pair of attenuators w/ Ys will have the least alteration of the sound plus will be the cheapest at <$60.

If you want stepped attenuators Endler is pretty popular, I use them w/ my LSi9 rig. They work very well and are cheap at ~$80. Positive Feedback put out a sparkling review on them and did a comparison to Placette...the Endlers were much better. Since then they have been on backorder for months.

I have compared them to various pres including multiple TVCs, Luminous Audio Axiom, B&K Ref 50, Modwright SWL 9.0SE, Nuforce P-8, etc. I prefer the TVCs slightly because they sound better at lower volumes, but the differences are small. The Endlers easily bested every active pre I have tried w/ the sole exception of the Modwright.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Gaara, have you ever tried the Goldpoint passives/Attenuators? I believe they use a similar design as the Placette with the vishay resistors, etc...

http://www.goldpt.com/sa1.html

sorry for the slight highjack, but you can at least take a look at the Gold Point attenuators for your DIY project.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Gaara
    edited August 2008
    Options
    tryrrthg wrote: »
    Gaara, have you ever tried the Goldpoint passives/Attenuators? I believe they use a similar design as the Placette with the vishay resistors, etc...

sorry for the slight highjack, but you can at least take a look at the Gold Point attenuators for your DIY project.

Nope. Never done DIY, I suck with a soldering iron. I tried a few passives and when I bought my first TVC there was no going back, at least for my main and pc rigs.
  • Face
    edited August 2008
    Options

I found that site last night, a little more than what I want to spend right now, but I'll keep them in mind for later on.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Did that link I sent you work?
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Gaara wrote: »
    Nope. Never done DIY, I suck with a soldering iron. I tried a few passives and when I bought my first TVC there was no going back, at least for my main and pc rigs.
    I was referring to the pre-built passive pre's in my first link. Wondering if you had ever tried it...

Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Gaara
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I was referring to the pre-built passive pre's in my first link. Wondering if you had ever tried it...

Didn't even realize they made their own passive pres. No never tried the ones linked. I like things as simple as possible, I like the Endlers because they connect directly to the amp, no running a extra set of cables.

For passives I have tried a Luminous Audio Axiom, Endler Attenautors, and various Promitheus Audio TVCs (Rev 2 Ref 3, Rev 3 Ref 3, Rev 3 Ref 1). Also tried Goldenjacks and Rothwell attenuators w/ sources w/ volume control.
  • Face
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Gaara wrote: »
    You don't necessarily need a passive pre. If you like the volume control on your CDP you could get some basic attenuators, something like Goldenjacks and if you need to split the signal get 2 Y Adapters. If you want to get fancy you could get Ultralink Ys, supposed to be pretty beefy.

IMO the simplest solution is usually the best. Using a pair of attenuators w/ Ys will have the least alteration of the sound plus will be the cheapest at <$60.

If you want stepped attenuators Endler is pretty popular, I use them w/ my LSi9 rig. They work very well and are cheap at ~$80. Positive Feedback put out a sparkling review on them and did a comparison to Placette...the Endlers were much better. Since then they have been on backorder for months.

I have compared them to various pres including multiple TVCs, Luminous Audio Axiom, B&K Ref 50, Modwright SWL 9.0SE, Nuforce P-8, etc. I prefer the TVCs slightly because they sound better at lower volumes, but the differences are small. The Endlers easily bested every active pre I have tried w/ the sole exception of the Modwright.
    You know, I didn't even realize there were links in your reply. The text and links are the same color. :rolleyes:
    I already have a pair of those Y's here, I think I'm going to jump on the Goldenjacks just to keep it simple. Thanks!