Use of a Second Receiver?

kberg
kberg Posts: 974
Hey folks,

As you can see from my profile below, I have an Onkyo receiver with 80wpc. I purchased this receiver as an upgrade to a Kenwood 1080VR with "120wpc" x 3 for the left/center/right speakers.

Would there be any possibility of putting the Kenwood receiver to some use in my current system below for whatever purpose(s)?

Thanks,

Kevin
Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
Display: JVC HD-56G786
DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
Post edited by kberg on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Use it as a secondary amp to run another set of speakers - perhaps in another room.
  • kberg
    edited January 2003
    OK - Thanks!
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    Use it as a secondary amp to run another set of speakers - perhaps in another room.

The Onk SR600 doesn't have any amp pre-outs. Might be difficult to connect the two systems together. Could you use the digital optical out on the Onk to go to a digital optical in on the Kenwood?
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • kberg
    edited January 2003
    Tony, that's a thought. If I did this, what would be the advantages?
  • kberg
    edited January 2003
    Tony, Are you saying that I could use my Kenwood to "upgrade by amplification" the power to my mains and center channel from the Kenwood, from 80wpc to 120wpc?
  • jrd002s
    jrd002s Posts: 11
    edited January 2003
    kberg,
    I would have to agree with Scottvamp. The best use for your old receiver, would be to power a system in another room. You could use it in tandem with your new receiver, but that would require splitting your audio/video signals between the two receivers, which would ultimately cause signal degredation, and loss of overall quality. Does anyone else feel differenlty?

JRD
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    JRD - ya , I use my old Fisher reciever to power my rt15i's in the kitchen/dining room area. Like you said you do not have to have preouts - just split the signal. And that is what I am doing. To be honest it sound excellent no degredation or loss at all. But it is analog because of the old reciever so no digital but no need in my situation.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Speaking of RT15i's. What a GREAT little speaker. Look at it as an ever so slightly laid back RT25, or an R10 on steriods.

Mom-in-law bagged me a pair closeout for Xmas, got em pulling duty in the master bedroom. Stellar speaker for the coin.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • kberg
    edited January 2003
    Thanks scottvamp and the rest - I suppose I could give it a try and split the signal, to see if I notice any improvement from 80wpc to 120wpc. On the other hand, I now recall hearing that to notice a difference in wattage increase, there needs to be a much greater difference than 40wpc, yes? Comments, anyone?
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    I hope u are referring to muiltple speakers and not two amps on the same speakers. Your recievers will go up in smoke.
  • kberg
    edited January 2003
    The center and mains would be driven by the Kenwood 120wpc receiver (using the optical out from the Onkyo 80wpc receiver to the optical in of the Kenwood), and the surrounds and subwoofer would be driven by the Onkyo receiver - this receiver/speaker wire connection setup wouldn't fry anything, would it?
  • TonyPTX
    edited January 2003
    I hope u are referring to muiltple speakers and not two amps on the same speakers. Your recievers will go up in smoke.

Reminds me of a Cheach and Chong episode.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    No - but now are you talking about 2 recievers running a 5.1 theater. The Kenwood should be enough to handle the HT. We were referring to using the other recievers for extra speakers- like in another room or possible 6/7channel HT.
  • kberg
    edited January 2003
    Yes! This possible setup is for 5.1 HT use only with my existing Onkyo receiver. I just wondering if what was proposed (shooting an additional 40 wpc through the front soundstage) would make an *audible* improvement because of increased power (but I do not want signal degradation, either). Do you think it would? If not, I won't bother with reconfiguring anything and just leave it as is. Thanks again - you're help and advice is much appreciated!
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    This dude boggles my mind....Dude - If ur kenwood has preouts, sale the w/e the el it is, but a sep 2 channel amp...120 wats(?), and hook it up to the kenwood...or other than that....u still boggle my mind....

How in the eff can u hook two receivers up, 80 wat and 120 and only exspect 40 wat difference in the first place....this has completely lost me...and how in the eff could u hook to receivers uptogether in the first place? plz enlighten me...lol
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • kberg
    edited January 2003
    Here's what I'm asking...

Asssume the Onkyo is set up according to my profile below. Now, instead of wiring the L/C/R speakers to the Onkyo, wire them to the Kenwood instead, and then connect a TosLink from optical out on the Onkyo to the optical in of the Kenwood - could this work? Wouldn't the Kenwood now be powering the front soundstage at 120wpc instead of the Onkyo at 120wpc at 80wpc?
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Losing me a little also. ...
    Now we are talking about a single HT application.
    One reciever has to be primary/preamp and the other used only as an amp.
    If this is even possiable you can not use Tosilink - there has to be a preout going to the "amp" using rca's.
    My Onkyo has a preout for every channel. I bought a seperate amp and put an extra 200watts on my front stage.
    Two recievers to run "other" speakers -OK (which we talked about earlier on post)
    Two recievers to boost an HT - gets a very complicated.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by kberg
    Here's what I'm asking...

Asssume the Onkyo is set up according to my profile below. Now, instead of wiring the L/C/R speakers to the Onkyo, wire them to the Kenwood instead, and then connect a TosLink from optical out on the Onkyo to the optical in of the Kenwood - could this work? Wouldn't the Kenwood now be powering the front soundstage at 120wpc instead of the Onkyo at 120wpc at 80wpc?

Im no expert, nor 1000% sure...but I can garuntee one thing, if it does work...u will have one he11 of a time trying to set it up...
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • kberg
    edited January 2003

If this is even possiable you can not use Tosilink - there has to be a preout going to the "amp" using rca's.

This answers my question - thanks!
  • TonyPTX
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    This dude boggles my mind....Dude - If ur kenwood has preouts, sale the w/e the el it is, but a sep 2 channel amp...120 wats(?), and hook it up to the kenwood...or other than that....u still boggle my mind....

How in the eff can u hook two receivers up, 80 wat and 120 and only exspect 40 wat difference in the first place....this has completely lost me...and how in the eff could u hook to receivers uptogether in the first place? plz enlighten me...lol

SiD, if you don't stop being so sloppy with your typing, i'm going to have to go to RatShack and pick up a universal translator......
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by TonyPTX

SiD, if you don't stop being so sloppy with your typing, i'm going to have to go to RatShack and pick up a universal translator......

I call it MX-Wiggerish-13 year old babble-Redneck slang-NC typos. Sorry its just the way i type....lazy....
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2003
    Wow! I love it! In a word, YES! I don't know if it'll work or not, but I applaud your thought process. From what I can tell of what you're asking, I'd try this:

Onkyo: Main digital in, rears and video out connected. Digital out to Kenwood. This receiver will just drive the rears which aren't utilized as much and should drive the rears just fine.

Kenwood: Front L/C/R connected along with the digital in from the Onkyo. This rcvr will have more power and the corresponding greater dynamic range.

Instead of using the digital ins/outs, you can buy a cheap optical splitter.

You could use any leftover speaker terminals for extra speakers. Whether in the same room or not, but you wouldn't want to listen to the sporadic rear material in the kitchen. In 5ch stereo all relative volume would be the same.

What you're really looking at:
    You'd have to have an extra remote and adjust the rears to compensate for the fronts. 2 rcvrs to power on/off. Signifcant other hassle. Onkyo is usually rated accordingly and it should have enough power for most modestly sized rooms. Polks seem to LOVE power. Any appreciable difference observed by your front soundstage would depend on the 2 rcvrs, personal tastes, etc.

Good luck! Welcome to the Forum!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • TonyPTX
    edited January 2003
    Sometimes it pays to be a newbie....you don't have all of those "years" of experience telling you (or convincing yourself) "It ain't gonna work!!!".

I'd say that using the TOSlink (if it does work) is the safest route to hook up the two receivers as you eliminate the chance of doing some sort of improper hookup that may cause your two receivers to go up in smoke. (Electrons can't travel over optical cable so the concern about mis-matched wiring goes out the window) At worst, you may be "blind in one eye" so to say. Good luck trying to get the levels to come out right. You will probbably need an SPL meter to build a chart of where to set the levels on both receivers so that they balance out. Wonder how you're going to deal with the Bass Management issue? Set the speakers to "Off" if they don't exist?
  • kberg
    edited January 2003
    Thanks for your reply, gidrah. I'm in a burb of Detroit as well!
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by gidrah
    Instead of using the digital ins/outs, you can buy a cheap optical splitter.

Interesting little science fair project her...

The splitter would reduce the delay considerably but now your talking 3 TosLinks and a splitter verse 2 TOSLinks and no splitter.

Just a little engineering here... even though the TOSLink is optical there is an decrease in the phase velocity which could effect delay in the rears. 1 would probably notice this if in a 5 channel stereo mode.

just my 2c :rolleyes:

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • kberg
    edited January 2003
    Thanks TonyPTX,

Yes, if it does work, I can appreciate how setting/changing volume levels and working with bass management could be a hassle. I just wanted to throw this 2-receiver idea out to everyone to see what anyone had to say about it, or if anyone had tried this before in order to make use of an older receiver with more "dedicated" power to the front channels than their upgraded receiver (assuming the power of the older receiver is truly 120wpc for L/C/R as opposed to the Onkyo at a clean dedicated 80wpc for these channels).
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by kberg
    I'm in a burb of Detroit as well!

Which one? Lincoln Park for me.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • kberg
    edited January 2003
    Walled Lake for me.