problem with my car ratteling...

bp01669
bp01669 Posts: 4
edited January 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
hello i own a 1995 vw golf 3 hatchback and i was wondering what to do to stop my car from ratteling... own a alpine cdm 78-74 head unit with two polk gnx 12 in subs and a mtx mono 4250d amp. I have my two subs and the box in the hatch facing toward the hatch window and my car wont stop ratteling any suggestions?
Post edited by bp01669 on

Comments

• ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited January 2003
    1) more power and more speakers so that you cant hear the rattling, or things falling off...

2) a long process of dynomatting, stuffing lock tight, and so on
    :p:lol:
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2003
    figure out exactly what is rattling... theres no need to dynamat the whole car if the whole car isn't rattling, and with two GNX's off about 325 rms(not a knock, jsut an observation on expected pressure inside cabin to cause rattle), i doubt the whole car's rattling... more likely you've got one or two panels or even one or two convenience doors (ash tray, overhead storage, whatever) that are going nuts on you. find them... listen hard... and thenuse either a tiny bit of dynamat or some other things (foam, weatherstripping, caulk, whatever) to "dampen" the vibration and stop the rattle in thse places.

if an entire panel (like hte panel on the back hatch) is rattling, then pull the panel off and slap a layer of dynamat between the panel and the metal of the hatch door. you mayu also need to stuff it as well.

as far as getting more power / speakers to cover the noise -- that's actually not true.. it'll get worse... more pressure = more **** rattling = more panels flexing, which can actually damage equipment and your vehicle. if you get into a crapload of power and start rollin around with a lot of pressure in the cabin, you have to compensate for it.

u wont have to do this, but i just went and ripped all my back 3 walls out and boarded over with 3/4 inch mdf, 50 tubes silicone caulk, dynamat, and then carpet, but i'm marginally insane as anyone in these forums will attest to that...lol :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge