What a difference a zoomed picture makes....

Options
McLoki
McLoki Posts: 5,231
edited August 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Well, all this talk of modding LSi's had me wondering about modding my 15's. I was thinking of sonicaps for the highs and solens for the lows. (mainly because there are solens available in the size I need.)

From other threads I have read I only about about an inch and 1/2 to work with for the caps. From looking at this pic of the Solen 130uf cap, I thought I should have plenty of room as it is way smaller than a quarter. Then I clicked on the picture to see a zoomed copy of the image....

Well, I will call parts express and see how large it actually is, but I don't think it will fit. Anyone have any ideas for how to increase the space available for the caps on the LSi15 crossover? Can longer stands be made to increase the space you have to mount them? (the 15 crossover has the caps on the bottom rather than top of the circut board....)

Michael
Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
Post edited by McLoki on

Comments

• SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Definitely two different caps. I wonder which one is which in those pics.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2008
    Options
    2.1 x 2.5 inches, ouch. You may be better off using a 62uf and a 68uf together since they're about 1.6 x 2.3 inches each. A pair of 60uf and 75uf Daytons are about the same diameter, but are about a half inch longer. The Daytons are also slightly cheaper and IMO, sound better.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Wow, that really is a zoom picture! :p
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Has anyone actually changed components to an LSi crossover and reported results? Based on their age, reviews, and the comments from everyone on how great they sound, I am not sure I'd venture on making changes....

It is different with 20+ years old speakers, where probably components do not have the same properties they had initially, plus new technologies have brought better things that were not available back then.

Just a thought ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I have a few(7) 5 year old Tannoys that appear to use the same generic capacitors in the HF circuit as the LSi's. In one pair I used Dayton 1%'s for the HF circuit, in the other pair I used Sonic Caps in the HF circuit. There was a noticeable improvement in detail with both sets of caps. Since the specific Tannoys I used are pretty warm, I found the Daytons to be a better match for my gear since it's also on the warm side. The Vifa in the LSi's are also on the warm side and either cap would be a nice improvement, so it comes down to available space and how you would like to tailor the voicing.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2008
    Options
    The product you're looking at is correct by the zoomed picture. It's wrong on the product page which is 1uf 100v.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Well tore into my LSiC to see if I could figure out what is needed to try and replace the caps in the LSiC. Resistors I have no idea on (I did see 2 of them, but could not tell the values - but the caps appear to be the same as the LSi9 crossover except I did not see the 1uf bypass cap.

The board is set up the same as the LSi15 (caps facing down) but I think I can fix that by putting in longer wires between the board and the terminals.

One of the caps is 260uf so I would have to try and fit TWO of the 130uf caps in there Since it is an electrolytic cap, both terminals are at the same end. That just means I would have to mount the caps on end. (it would take up alot of board space to do it though, I am not sure how successfull I would be.)

Anyway - That may be my next project. I do not know if it will help in a center channel or not, but I only have to upgrade one speaker this way. (and if successfull, can upgrade the rest as I get funds) It looks like the upgrade will be about $175 for the LSiC. Not sure if it will be worth it or not, but may have to give it a shot.

Looking at Soniccaps in the HF circuit. (18uf and 12uf)
    Looking at Solen's in the LF circuit (260uf and 18uf)
    Looking at Mills resistors (but will have to get word from Polk as to what they are)

Well, what do you all think? Worth the cost\effort or not?

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Wow I can't believe I missed your thread. I am doing some LSI15's with the same recipe you are describing. We'll let you know the outcome.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited August 2008
    Options
    One can always remote mount caps if they won't fit on a PCB. I've done it, no problem.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk