Is DYNAMAT really that good??

MrPOLK
MrPOLK Posts: 1
edited October 2008 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I recently bought 2 POLK MOMO 12" subs and after the successful installation my installer recommended Dynamat "to keep the bass in"

Yes is does what its supposed do a reduce rattle but wont that mean people outside the car wont be able to hear it as well??

Eg. When going down a street no 'boom boom'???
Post edited by MrPOLK on

Comments

• Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited July 2008
    it does and will enhance midbass. I installed it in all my doors and i can say yes it does the job it is intended to do. I recommend the Xtreme Door Kits, sold on wooferetc.com
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2008
    Who has the best price on Dynamat?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited July 2008
    Why do people outside your car have to hear what you are listening to inside the car?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • BradimusMaximus
    BradimusMaximus Posts: 60
    edited July 2008
    I have to agree with Jstas... why would you want people outside the car to hear your music? From another perspective, if you must annoy everyone around you, you could always roll down the windows.
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT
    Alpine SPX-137R
    Alpine SPR-69LP
    Panasonic CY-PA4003U
    Kenwood KAC-X520
    Polk SR124
    :D
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited July 2008
    Sorry to hijack this thread...

But would Dynamat make a significant difference with a stock stereo sytem? Or is the effect more pronounced with decent, aftermarket speakers?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited July 2008
    MrPOLK wrote: »
    I recently bought 2 POLK MOMO 12" subs and after the successful installation my installer recommended Dynamat "to keep the bass in"

Yes is does what its supposed do a reduce rattle but wont that mean people outside the car wont be able to hear it as well??

Eg. When going down a street no 'boom boom'???

Keep the dynamat out. If you do, I would have better luck never hearing your booming piece of **** along side me again. After all, you're basically broadcasting that you have some valuable merchandise outside in a fairly unsecure place for all the crooks without 'boom, boom' to steal.

No offense of course. Just a thought based on security.
  • BradimusMaximus
    edited July 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread...

But would Dynamat make a significant difference with a stock stereo sytem? Or is the effect more pronounced with decent, aftermarket speakers?

Its a good idea no matter what. A lower noise floor will make any stereo sound more dynamic. Also when your driving without the radio on the car will be quieter. Why not make a Toyota as quiet as its Lexus cousin?
    Alpine SPX-137R
    Alpine SPR-69LP
    Panasonic CY-PA4003U
    Kenwood KAC-X520
    Polk SR124
  • Jstas
    edited July 2008
    The thing about sound deadener is not to enhance the sound you want to hear but dampen if not eliminate the sound you don't want to hear.

By reducing background noise, you reduce the amount of audible interference that is present in listening environment. That interference is known as "white noise". The problem with white noise is that is random in every aspect from pitch, tone and frequency to amplitude and phase. This means that it cancels out parts of the sounds that you do want to hear and it makes for an incomplete listening experience.

By adding sound deadener, you reduce that external noise to a minimum and give the sound you want to hear a fighting chance. So, given that idea, sound deadener is good for any stereo. Just beware, I have seen people add a couple hundred pounds of deadener only to find out that their gear doesn't sound quite as nice as it used to. A more ideal listening environment can make the drawbacks and short comings of listening equipment seem more apparent than they used to.

• Jstas
    edited July 2008
    Oh and background noise comes in all shapes and sizes from vibrating body panels to screaming kids to tires rolling down the highway.

Sound deadener adds mass to an object by bonding as completely as it can to the surface of that object. That bonding changes how that object reacts to the environment around it by filling voids in the surface, bonding to the material as completely as it can and adding extra weight to the object itself through that bonding. It can also add strength. All that stuff changes the resonance of the object the sound deadener is applied to which in turn changes the frequencies that it vibrates at. If it drags that frequency far enough down the spectrum, your stereo may not be capable of reproducing sound in a range that would cause the resonance and vibrations that color sound.

It handles the other sound problems by either absorbing or reflecting the other sounds away from the listening environment.

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited July 2008
    http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I've used Dynamat Xtreme which is good stuff, but have now switched to Second Skin's Damplifier Pro which seems to be better stuff at a slightly lower price.

If you're only interested in Dynamat however, there are currently some smokin' deals on the stuff @ Ikesound.com (but call first and make sure what you want is really in stock).
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited July 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    Oh and background noise comes in all shapes and sizes from vibrating body panels to screaming kids to tires rolling down the highway.

Will dynamat quiet my screaming kids down? Sign me up...;)

Sure would be a nice option to get on a new car-factory installed dynamat (or equiv.). To me thats a much better 'option' than heated side mirrors with wipers.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • BradimusMaximus
    edited July 2008
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    Will dynamat quiet my screaming kids down? Sign me up...;)

Sure would be a nice option to get on a new car-factory installed dynamat (or equiv.). To me thats a much better 'option' than heated side mirrors with wipers.

There are car companies working on that idea. GM is using Quiet Steel and specially laminated glass. Ford has recently come up with their own super sound insulator of some sort as well. Ford has their own glass solution, they call it a SoundScreen windshield that has a layer of vinyl to quell some wind noise.
    Alpine SPX-137R
    Alpine SPR-69LP
    Panasonic CY-PA4003U
    Kenwood KAC-X520
    Polk SR124
  • Frank840
    Frank840 Posts: 262
    edited July 2008
    dynamat i think is a must. i am tired of seeing Honda's and other hoopies with ok sound systems yet the whole car rattles to death.. annoying
    - This your Bush?
    Pioneer Elite Sc-25
    Polk Lsic,15's,9's, PSW1000
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited July 2008
    It is useful for vibration of the sheet metal ....that induces coloration to the sound !!!!!!! no coloration = better quality sound!!!!!!
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • Jstas
    edited July 2008
    There are car companies working on that idea. GM is using Quiet Steel and specially laminated glass. Ford has recently come up with their own super sound insulator of some sort as well. Ford has their own glass solution, they call it a SoundScreen windshield that has a layer of vinyl to quell some wind noise.

Ford has had pretty good sound deadening for a long while. My Thunderbird was like a vault for a car that stickered for around $24K new in 1994. I know they are stepping up the game because the Five Hundred, when new, before it was rebadged the Taurus, got higher sound isolation ratings that every other car company but Lexus and even then they were only a couple points behind with it. Go test drive a new Taurus and see for yourself. That is a very well executed piece of automotive engineering and it can be had for around $22K nicely appointed.

• bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited July 2008
    In a word YES I love this stuff the extreme that is never used the original. I use it on my license plate and in the doors getting ready to do some f the trunk.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited July 2008
    Why do people outside your car have to hear what you are listening to inside the car?

I agree with this it's STUPID o i need more bass because i cant be heard from three blocks away. There is a big difference from balanced sound. And let me blow my F***ing ear drums out how can you even hear anything else except bass. STUPID PERIOD.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2008
    As a general rule, you can never have too much Dynamat. If I could afford it I would pull everything out of my car and slap about $5000 worth of Dynamat in there. Ive heard a couple of cars that had a couple grand in deadener in it and it makes a HUGE difference.

Its hard to explain but the music seems "isolated" from you. When youre in a normal car listening to music you feel it with your seat, door panels and arm rests vibrating. When everything has a ton of deadener on it, you dont feel anything - you just hear the music. It no longer seems part of the car but rather a soundstage all by itself.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2008
    Theres nothing wrong with spending a couple grand on deadener:o
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited August 2008
    lol unless you are trying to lose weight in your car. Remember the more weight in the car the harder the engine has to work.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2008

My point exactly!! My truck sounds best tuned down to a comfortable listening level. Now mind you its louder than the inlaws want to hear it. But that said the people next to me surely can't be "feeling" the bass as I pull up to the gas pumps. But I know its there. And it sounds good to me.

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2008
    lol unless you are trying to lose weight in your car. Remember the more weight in the car the harder the engine has to work.

Thats why I took out all my seats.
    531337_480_full.jpg
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Chwnn255
    Chwnn255 Posts: 24
    edited August 2008
    Hey fellas.. been a while since I've posted but here's some pics of a recent install of FatMat along with 2 sets of SR6500's in an '08 Suburban. Fronts are seperates and rears are coaxed. They are driven by a Directed Audio D2205 6 Channel amp that is actually surprisingly nice sounding.
    Thought you'd like to see the DynaMat FatMat installed. Made the mistake of trying to cover as much of the door as I could only to find out it was to wide in somes areas and showed after re-installing the door panels. WOW! that was no frickin' fun after letting it set over night. WARNING! This deadner stuff is sticky as H..E..double toothpicks and you WILL fight it to get it off... so measure twice and cut once. If had to do it over again I would take a fairly fine pointed black marker (or similar) and outline the door panel BEFORE removing it leaving a visual reference as to where the FatMat should go.
    Besides a little first "operator error" it was pretty basic, common sense stuff. Notice the pictures showing an 18" x 18" pc BEHIND the speaker mount to absorb a little backwave action.
    Some tips... use both a VERY sharp stiff blade amd scissors, use a hand towel to smooth it out and press it onto the door (save your fingers and keeps the staining of your fingers to a minimum), take pictures of the door and DO NOT rely on memory to figure out the holes the should and shouldn't be covered/opened up/slit. 2 people are better than one... this stuff has about a 5 seconds set time and once pressed on... well good luck trying to get it off!
    These speakers are still not 100% broken in but sound SPECTACULAR. Just love 'em.

Chad's trip to SC 005.jpg
  • Chwnn255
    Chwnn255 Posts: 24
    edited August 2008
    Hey fellas.. been a while since I've posted but here's some pics of a recent install of FatMat along with 2 sets of SR6500's in an '08 Suburban. Fronts are seperates and rears are coaxed. They are driven by a Directed Audio D2205 6 Channel amp that is actually surprisingly nice sounding.

Thought you'd like to see the DynaMat FatMat installed. Made the mistake of trying to cover as much of the door as I could only to find out it was to wide in somes areas and showed after re-installing the door panels. WOW! that was no frickin' fun after letting it set over night. WARNING! This deadner stuff is sticky as H..E..double toothpicks and you WILL fight it to get it off... :eek: so measure twice and cut once. If had to do it over again I would take a fairly fine pointed black marker (or similar) and outline the door panel BEFORE removing it leaving a visual reference as to where the FatMat should go.

Besides a little first "operator error" it was pretty basic, common sense stuff. Notice the pictures showing an 18" x 18" pc BEHIND the speaker mount to absorb a little backwave action.

Some tips... use both a VERY sharp stiff blade amd scissors, use a hand towel to smooth it out and press it onto the door (save your fingers and keeps the staining of your fingers to a minimum), take pictures of the door and DO NOT rely on memory to figure out the holes the should and shouldn't be covered/opened up/slit. 2 people are better than one... this stuff has about a 5 seconds set time and once pressed on... well good luck trying to get it off!

These speakers are still not 100% broken in but sound SPECTACULAR. Just love 'em.

Attachment not found. Attachment not found. Attachment not found. Attachment not found. Attachment not found.
  • dirthog
    dirthog Posts: 124
    edited August 2008
    If you want cheap, good, easy to apply and great customer service go to this guy.

Rick

http://www.raamaudio.com
    HU: 880PRS
    Front: SR6500
    Amp: Alpine MRV-F545
    Sub: SR124-DVC
    Amp: Alpine MRD-M1005
  • headknocker
    headknocker Posts: 17
    edited August 2008
    dirthog wrote: »
    If you want cheap, good, easy to apply and great customer service go to this guy.

Rick

http://www.raamaudio.com

Ditto. You won't find an easier guy to deal with...and great products which he stands behind.
    '98 CRV
    Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X589 HU
    Aura MR6.1 comps
    Aura MR62 Integrated comps
    Ascendant Audio Arsenal 12
    US Acoustics USX-4065
    PG Octane 8.0:1
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited August 2008
    OH YEAH it works :) doors, floor, trim panels, basically anything that comes off the vehicle interior (and i mean anything) has dynamat (i went a little crazy with it, but worth it) makes for great sound and quieter ride and in a 96 jeep its a pretty quiet ride until hit the volume :)
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited August 2008
    Chwnn255 wrote: »

you can also get a small roller thats used for like wallpaper and stuff and the handle of a screw driver works well for curves
    and wear some gloves :)
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited August 2008
    It also blocks out a lot of the road noise trying to seep in from the outside of the car.
  • vfx
    vfx Posts: 34
    edited September 2008
    i just installed it in my car. but still waiting on speakers. I hope it's worth the money. otherwise i'll be mad.