Phoenix Gold XS 2500 did it overpower our 2 dX12s?

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2001 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok, here is the setup; 2 Polk dX12 in sealed box, 1 box separated by a partition 1 cubic foot for each sub. 1 Phoenix Gold XS 2500 (link at bottom) bridged and running parallel pushing the 2 dX12s. 1 Polk EX2540 component system and a set of Polk EX692a 6x9s powered by a Phoenix gold XS 4600. Now from the specs listed that amp running in that configuration should be running about 500 watts right? Our particular amp was rather underrated however so I’ll assume its closer to 550-600 watts. This setup ran good for about 9-10 months without any problems until just recently at competition where we think we may have blown one of the subs in an SPL run. We think it went right at the start since the decibel ratting was constant through the entire run about 15-20 seconds or so at 141.8 pretty impressive for 1 sub. The strange thing is that after the sub was removed we couldn’t find anything wrong with it at all everything was physically intact. Finally we got some testing equipment and found that there wasn’t any circuit between the positive and negative terminal. The only conclusion is something must have happened under the dust cap. Too me it seems strange that the sub would fail at that location. So I guess the question is did we overpower those subs? If the answer is yes would Momos be better for this configuration? We are considering changing the setup anyway; at least taking out the EX for dX there seems to be gap in the mid bass with 4” EXs.

http://www.phoenixgold.com/xs2500.html

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, btw we took “best of show” at the competition, the best overall (SQ/Install/SPL) award :)
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on