DAC builders/modders.I need help/data.

Options
fbm211
fbm211 Posts: 1,488
edited July 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I want to upgrade/replace the opamp in my DAC from a NE5532 to a AD825 type 2 Dual AD825.Kyle at audio reference mods wants 175.00 to do it.The opamp is 38.50 (John Hillig/Musical design thinks thats 50.00 too much.)Maybe with some info and help from polkie modders I can do it myself and save some $$$ to spend on other upgrades John can do.Like replace all the power supply caps,Pertinent diods to custom RAM rectifiers, better input/output connectors and maybe a superclock upgrade too.Can anyone here point me to some how to reference guides or books???? Thanks.
SDA-2BTL with custom IC
Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
Harman Kardon T-55c TT
DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre
Post edited by fbm211 on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2008
    Options
    What DAC are you modding and do you have a schematic?
    I think the AD825 is only available in surface mount SOIC package,is the 5532 SMT aswell or a standard DIP.Some sort of specialized adaptor board will be needed to get two 825's into the DIP socket.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fbm211
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Adcom GDA-600.Audio reference mods states the AD825 replaces the NE5532. http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAM&Category_Code=OPAMPS
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • Systems
    edited July 2008
    Options
    fbm211 wrote: »
    Ah yes that is what I meant,they have designed an adaptor PC board that will allow the 2 SOIC 825's to fit in the DIP foot print of the original 5532.You are paying for this very special board and it is a necessity if you want to use the AD 825's.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Those boards are very reasonably priced.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    edited July 2008
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Those boards are very reasonably priced.
    Ben
    $38 is not bad considering its specialized nature and it comes with 2 premium op amps already installed.

Edit: however after re reading the first post an extra $135 to install it is insane.If you can solder and desolder it should be a simple mod to do.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fbm211
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Well then its time to order that desoldering iron from PE.Might as well find out what caps I need to get for the power supply and change them too.I think Ill go with black gate.And rubycon ZG/ZLG if some of the blackgates are no longer available.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • Systems
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Get yourself a good soldering staion like the Weller WTCPT and a solder pump (sucker) and you will be well equipt for the job.

I use the Soldapullt model DS017 pump(see link)
    http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bin/scripts/product/2920-0019/

Another good and economical choice for upgrading the power supply decoupling caps is the Panasonic FC series.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fbm211
    edited July 2008
    Options
    What about this tool for desoldering.And do I need wicks,heat sinks scrapers etc.Im new to this electronic modding thing. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=370-325
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • Systems
    edited July 2008
    Options
    fbm211 wrote: »
    Yes that would be perfect, and yes you should also have a roll of wick and a solder pick.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2008
    Options
    For larger joints, I use a desoldering bulb, smaller joints, a desoldering braid. I usually keep a clipped off lead from a mills resistor around while using the bulb, they clog every so often, and the lead is the perfect size to clear the hole.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I'll be watching this thread so be sure to update. I have a 600 as well and I already really like the way it sounds, so if this upgrade can be done fairly easily and it's worthwhile I may try it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Check the power supply diodes, and if they aren't FRED(fast recovery diodes)
    replace them with FREDs with the same ratings.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • fbm211
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Waiting on parts.(opamp)And a digital camera to post several pics of the mod in stages.Thanks guys.Im going to call adcom and see if I can get a schematic.That would help a-lot for ordering caps and diodes.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT