Power center/ UPS hums?

Options
howie777
howie777 Posts: 357
I bought a Monster Cable Power Center HTS5000 mkII and the thing hums! My equipment is all in my room (pretty large bedroom) and I can't sleep at night with it plugged in it is so loud (system drowns it out easily, but when it all shut off it seem loud). This causes havoc with my digital cable box becuase I need to wait a couple hours after plugging it in before the guide is back up. This also occurs with my computers UPS. I took back the power center and it was dead quiet at the store I bought it from, even with a ton of components plugged in.

We are having our electrical box replaced and I'm hoping that is it but I was wonder if any of you had some suggestions or specifics I could point out to the electrician while he is at the house.

I also had a Denon 4802 kill my 27" tv (TV was brand new replacement TV showed the same signes as the first after being on within 3 feet of the denon), my Denon 4800 DVD player blew an IC and a motor and is now starting to act up again. Oh and my receiver was shutting off after 5 mins in TV mode (Marantz 8200 is what I got after taking the Denon back) until I reset the receiver. That was 1 year after I bought it with no issues.

Any ideas? I'm thinking we just have an overloaded fuse box (100A going to 150A I believe).

Let me know what you think. I have about 14 days before the electrican comes out.

Thanks,
Post edited by howie777 on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    howie, to ease your mind on the Monster Power Center - YES they hum. Never enough to annoy me in anyway - then again I don't "sleep" with mine.;)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'd write or call Monster and see what they have to say. it is their product afterall. there are other power centers out there.. monster is not the only brand. maybe you should check out those other ones, they may not hum as bad or at all.

a few brands to check out would be Adcom AC enhancer, Panamax, and Brick Wall audio, Audio Power.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    Options
    My Panamax 5100 is completely silent. :D
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I don't think this is an issue with the power center but with my power in the house. I was at the store where I bought it and we plugged it in with a full set of HT components and it was dead silent. Therefore I would think I'll have this issue with all "power centers" just like I do my UPS.

So I guess I'll just see what happens when the electricain comes and hopefully he can fix me up. Might be a ground loop running through the house picking up noise.

I'll post if anything comes of this. But like I said it was dead silent in the store (my actually power center not another one the store had).

Thanks for your help
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    Options
    this is a comp one? i have the ht 3500 and it is great it is like a sub it runs silent and deep. lol
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Your electrician needs to assess the entire house. As for what you can do, try this. Make sure every appliance, water heater, HVAC, etc... is turned off. Switch off every breaker in the house except the circuit for the UPS. If the hum is gone, turn the breakers on one by one and check for the hum. If it comes back, at least you'll know what circuit is causing it.

Wally