dr. spec what do you drive you svs with?

Options
goingganzo
goingganzo Posts: 2,793
edited January 2003 in Electronics
dr. s what amp do you use to drive your svs? i am looking at pro 2 chanel amp for my new subs. if they ever come. i am looking at samson 700 and 1000, crown ce1000, and qsc i forget the modle #. do you have any trubble driveing your amp from the sub out?

thanks
bryan
Post edited by goingganzo on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Sorry I missed this post yesterday - I was focused on Ron-P's vent design!

Anyway, the PC+ line uses on-board amps made by Indigo. They are 525w (RMS 4 ohm) plate amps that employ BASH amplification technology. They also have built in variable phase and a 4 position SS filter.

You can buy the Indigo BASH amp on-line, but you cannot buy it with the variable phase and SS filters - these are exclusive to the SVS amp.

Naturally, since it is an onboard amp designed for the typical LFE pre-out, there are no voltage/impedance mismatches, and the LFE signal can easily drive the amp to full power.

That is sometimes not the case with the Samson, QSC, or any other touring style amp. Rarely, there is a voltage/impedance mismatch and the LFE pre-out is incapable of driving the amp to it's full power potential. That is: The LFE gain is at +10, and the amp is maxxed out, and you still can't get good SPL from the sub. Also, you won't have phase or SS filter controls on these amps.

SVS has a fix for this - the SVS01 Bass Box built by Marchand. It has up to 18 dB of LFE signal gain. It has variable phase. It can run two subs. It has a variable SS filter. It is a good deal at $200, and a downright bargain for $160 if you are an SVS customer.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/marchandsubsonic.htm

You will need a real powerhouse for the dual Stryke AV-15 250L unit. Samson makes a 1500w unit, and QSC is very reasonable in price for what they offer. Somebody over at HTF is running the new SVS B4 super sub off a QSC 1750w unit and he loves it.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • goingganzo
    edited January 2003
    Options
    sorry doc i though you had the svs with the samson amp. that is y i was asking. now i have to find out how much power to push them with. i am eather thinking 350 or 500? thanks for the help and dont wory about the time of the reply.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    If you will be driving each AV-15 with a separate but identical mono signal, then at least 500WPC is needed. The Samson S1o00 for $365 from SVS B-Stock would be a really good choice. Couple that with the SVS01 Bass Box by Marchand and you will have a killer electronics package.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • goingganzo
    edited January 2003
    Options
    thanks dr.spec i will be going with the s1000. i dont know if i will get the amp interface right away. i will see if my setup works.