My "SR5250"'s

DemonAstroth
DemonAstroth Posts: 131
edited July 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
So... I got them in the mail today.

I was really excited about them... I even thought I could install them today. After all, if I fitted some 6.5's, 5.25's would be a breeze right.

OK... so I open them, and everything looks fine. I had heard the crossovers were big, but damn, they're really big. In the back, however, I read SR6500. That didnt' please me much, as the crossover settings are probably different from the 5250s. BUT, i'm running active so didn't care much.

But then, I look at the woofers, and they are pretty big, in fact, they are 6.5's, and in the back it says sr6500's. So i got a set of sr6500's in a box that says 5250's.

The install is going to be tough. The spx's are definitely smaller so I'm going to have to use the provided spacers, and make them fit (If i had a plasma cutter I would just cut the door a bit and it would be easy, but alas my equipment is barely anything more than screwdrivers). And for the tweeters, I will have to use the angled mount, which sucks because I liked the stock look, but they are TOO deep and will not clear within my stock A Pillar grilles. Worst thing is that my A pillar is not entirely flat, it curves, so the mount will have a small gap towards the windshield. I will have to wrap the pillars with black leather or something if the gap is too ugly looking. Of course it can only be seen from outside the car, but still. :(

Also, one of the tweeter grilles is missing, so does anyone know where can I get one? I don't want the tweeters to just be bare.

All in all, I cannot complain for 225 dollars, it's just going to be a lot more work than I expected. That's the price to pay for ebay speakers.
Post edited by DemonAstroth on

Comments

• Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited July 2008
    The SR6500 are not 6.5, the SR6500 are 6 3/4, it was hard to fit them.

And congratulations again for the SRs..

and for the Tweeters, you should build an A-pillar Pod for them..

I barely fit them in the stock places
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • Bryan M
    Bryan M Posts: 25
    edited July 2008
    yo,

To me, that sounds like the bonus of the century,getting SR6500's for the price of SR5250's :)

GL with the install, I am sure the extra work will be worth it in the long run
  • DemonAstroth
    DemonAstroth Posts: 131
    edited July 2008
    Kinetic...
    They should call them SR6750's then! The funny thing is that there will be extra work, but the woofers will be the easier part to make fit, it's the tweeters that are giving me the most trouble. The only positive aspect of the tilt mounts is that they will be aimed better, but in the long run I may pay some shop to install them more professionally, I simply do not have the skills. :(

Bryan,

I actually got them for 225 (250.25 shipped), so it was even cheaper than that. I can tell that none of the drivers were ever mounted, the screw bags were still new and there are no marking anywhere. The only problem is that I need a tweeter grille, and that seems like it's going to be tough to find.
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited July 2008
    man.. u'r really lucky!
    say thanks.. and forget the tweet grill...

u can install in the a-pillar and cover with grill cloth... (as said above)
  • dirthog
    dirthog Posts: 124
    edited July 2008
    I left mine uncovered because I love looking at them every day.
    HU: 880PRS
    Front: SR6500
    Amp: Alpine MRV-F545
    Sub: SR124-DVC
    Amp: Alpine MRD-M1005
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited July 2008
    Kinetic...
    They should call them SR6750's then! The funny thing is that there will be extra work, but the woofers will be the easier part to make fit, it's the tweeters that are giving me the most trouble. The only positive aspect of the tilt mounts is that they will be aimed better, but in the long run I may pay some shop to install them more professionally, I simply do not have the skills. :(

Bryan,

I actually got them for 225 (250.25 shipped), so it was even cheaper than that. I can tell that none of the drivers were ever mounted, the screw bags were still new and there are no marking anywhere. The only problem is that I need a tweeter grille, and that seems like it's going to be tough to find.

Try calling Customer Service for a grill- I'd think they could sell one to you ;).
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited July 2008
    sure, they sell all the SRs components
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited July 2008
    Thats an interesting story... but still. You ended up with a great set of speakers for a great price... And I personally love the naked look more, so you can always stay without the grills.
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited July 2008
    Thats an interesting story... but still. You ended up with a great set of speakers for a great price... And I personally love the naked look more, so you can always stay without the grills.

ha ha .. we all prefer naked vs covered up! .. oh wait.. ya'll talking about speakers! dang...

but u'r kinda right... showing off these tweets is a good idea.. not many car tweets are ring radiators! show them off man! lol...