Side vs. Rear Firing

Options
frosty2k
frosty2k Posts: 39
edited July 2008 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I was wondering if anyone has setup their subs to fire to the side of the vehicle and had good results.

I'm looking to build a sealed enclosure for a SR124 and had originally wanted to setup down firing in order to expose the back of the speaker for visual appeal. Unfortunately the logistics of creating a 1.2cuft box with the 7" of driver sticking out is impossible in my car without the thing being visible for every theif to see it, or else eliminating all of my useable cargo room.

My next idea is to build a square box with the side facing the trunk opening in a single sheet of plexiglass, but mounting the driver so it fires to the side. This would create a area where the entire driver would be in a nice profile and I could paint the box interior, possibly light it etc. :cool:

My problem is two fold. Will a box with a whole side made of plexiglass sound ok, as opposed to flexing like crazy. Second, will a side firing sub have proper SQ and solid volume compared to a rear or front firing setup?
/////ALPINE INA-W900 HU
/////ALPINE PXA-H100 DSP
polkaudio SR5250
JL Audio HD600/4
polkaudio SR124DVC
JL Audio HD750/1

"In this house, we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics!"
Post edited by frosty2k on

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 28
    edited July 2008
    Options
    frosty2k wrote: »
    My problem is two fold. Will a box with a whole side made of plexiglass sound ok, as opposed to flexing like crazy. Second, will a side firing sub have proper SQ and solid volume compared to a rear or front firing setup?
    If you use thick enough plexi, it won't be a problem. But there's a reason why plexi 'windows' are so often done -- less flex from a smaller panel.

Regarding side-firing, it should not be a problem for an SQ oriented system. I did it for years in my '84 GTI, after also running rear-firing, front-firing, and up-firing.

Rear-firing off the back hatch (or back wall of the trunk) can provide for a 'loading panel' effect, where the entire sub-bass region is boosted. This can be a great way to add a little extra headroom to the sub system, but isn't necessary if you already have adequate power for your sub.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Bose.