Sound Deadener & Cabling Question

frosty2k
frosty2k Posts: 39
edited July 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi again,

I'm getting set to order my sound deadener and cables so I can get that in before I buy my amps and speakers. I was hoping to get some of the Polkie input on my choices.

Cables:
Going with KnuKoncept throughout. 0/1 AWG Kolossus Flex from the battery then going through distribution blocks and using 4AWG at the amps themselves. The distance from the amp to the crossovers will be super short, and then run from the crossovers in the trunk to the front speakers with 8g Karma SS for all connections.
Just wondering if these gauges of cable are sufficient and whether there are other better/cheaper places to get all my wiring.

Deadener:
This is a tough one for me. All these options are looking like they are in the $300-400 range for me with shipping and I'm not sure which to go with. Oh, and the car being dampened is an Acura RSX.
Dynamax Xtreme Mega Pack: I get 72sqft of the stuff but I have to buy it off eBay which is always questionable. I'm also unsure as to their hype vs actual quality ratio. (usually too much hype = crap, i.e. rockford fosgate)
Second Skin Damplifier Pro: I get 80sqft of this stuff. Only problem is I'm not sure if they ship to Canada or not yet.
RAAMaudio RAAMmat BXT: I can get 125sqft of this one. In addion, I can include some Ensolite foam and the adhesive for it, and the price is still comparable to the other two. From what I've heard however, this stuff might need the several extra sqft for multiple layering to get the same effect as Damplifier, or Dynamat. I would also have to drive to the US and bring it back to get it all affordably.:(

How much material did you all use when you did you car?
Recommendations welcomed :)
/////ALPINE INA-W900 HU
/////ALPINE PXA-H100 DSP
polkaudio SR5250
JL Audio HD600/4
polkaudio SR124DVC
JL Audio HD750/1

"In this house, we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics!"
Post edited by frosty2k on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2008
    amount of material really just depends on the car. my trucks doors require about 8 sq ft per layer.

My personal choice is second skin, but raamat is not a bad choice either. especially with the ensolite, thats a great deal unless you really need everything sound deadened really well. (heavy duty midbass drivers or high output subwoofers)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited July 2008
    on cables i went with Knukonceptz, kristal actually, the quality is superior to other pricier competitors, just the service is not so good (at least for international buyers)

but on sound deadners i hesitate a lot, at the end I buy RAAM Audio for a lot of reasons:

*I had Dynamat Xtreme and the RAAM Audio is as good as the dynamat.
    *The Ensolite also is an exelent product, and it is a plus.
    *The service is awesome, Rick (the owner) is going to answer all your questions
    *The price, its reasonable and the best material for the cost.

For me a roll of RAAM Audio and 3 yards of ensolite where enough.

my ride in general is so much quieter, and i did 2 doors, the floor and the trunk.
    the ensolite is in the doors, the trunk and all the rear panels..

For me thats enough, but if you want to do it better, buy 2 rolls, but in my personal opinion its too much for SQ, maybe for SPL you need 2 rolls
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • frosty2k
    edited July 2008
    Kinetic wrote: »
    but on sound deadners i hesitate a lot, at the end I buy RAAM Audio for a lot of reasons:

*I had Dynamat Xtreme and the RAAM Audio is as good as the dynamat.
    *The Ensolite also is an exelent product, and it is a plus.
    *The service is awesome, Rick (the owner) is going to answer all your questions
    *The price, its reasonable and the best material for the cost.

It looks like I'm going to use the RAAMmat for these reasons also. I just have to figure if I should get it from a not so local guy in Canada, or get it shipped to some family in Buffalo and go pick it up there. Its about $90 cheaper in the states but I would have to deal with claiming it going over the border.

Thanks for the tips guys.
    /////ALPINE INA-W900 HU
    /////ALPINE PXA-H100 DSP
    polkaudio SR5250
    JL Audio HD600/4
    polkaudio SR124DVC
    JL Audio HD750/1

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2008
    Pulling out the seats and carpet and completely deadening the interior is one of my long term goals. I dont know if Ill ever do it tho. Its a whopper of a chore and I hate doing stuff like this but it makes a huge difference! Ive sat in cars that are completely deadened and its so cool how the sound is "isolated" from the interior.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited July 2008
    http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ ...great site on the deadener topic.

I used to use Dynamat Xtreme, but have since switched to Second Skin's Damplifier Pro. :said like Borat: Itsa verra niiice.

http://www.ikesound.com/category-category_id/125

^^This online retailer sometimes has some great deals, but if you research them a bit they have a negative reputation- hit or miss...make sure any product you want is actually in stock by calling their number and confirming before ordering (unless you like eternal backorder) ;).
  • frosty2k
    edited July 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Pulling out the seats and carpet and completely deadening the interior is one of my long term goals. I dont know if Ill ever do it tho. Its a whopper of a chore and I hate doing stuff like this but it makes a huge difference!

I figure if I'm going to have to run new speaker and power line all the way from the front to the back, I'll have to take up the carpets and interior trim. (my current power lines are just tucked under the trim/floor mats) I may as well drop sound deadener while they're up so I dont have to do it twice.:D

I'm sure that I am WAY over extending my DIY abilities and my car will be interiorless for a month or so.:o
    /////ALPINE INA-W900 HU
    /////ALPINE PXA-H100 DSP
    polkaudio SR5250
    JL Audio HD600/4
    polkaudio SR124DVC
    JL Audio HD750/1

• headknocker
    headknocker Posts: 17
    edited July 2008
    I bought the original RAAMmat from Rick around five years ago. You won't find a nicer guy to deal with...excellent service.
    '98 CRV
    Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X589 HU
    Aura MR6.1 comps
    Aura MR62 Integrated comps
    Ascendant Audio Arsenal 12
    US Acoustics USX-4065
    PG Octane 8.0:1