Turntable help.....

shackshack Posts: 11,289
edited January 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Several years I let my dad use my old turntable to listen to some of his old Dixieland Jazz LPs. I started replacing my entire LP collection in the 80s with CDs (I will never totally go back to vinyl...I really prefer digital especially with SACD - but that is another topic). I bought it in 1972 and and it still operates very well. I need to get him a new cartridge. Does anyone know where the best place to look for one is? It is a Miracord 50HII with an Elac cartridge and tonearm. Thanks for any help.
"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
Post edited by shack on

Comments

• burdetteburdette Posts: 1,205
    edited January 2003
    There are still a few places that sell cartridges. I think Crutchfield has a few; J and R Music has some; do a general search with Google.

I've looked at cartridges quite a bit over the past year.. if J and R has one you can use, they seem to have the best prices. There are also specialy shops that you'll find with an internet search, but the prices are high.
  • SystemsSystems Posts: 14,998
    edited January 2003
    there's a place called the needle doctor in minneapolis that advertises in Sound & Vision, etc. they have a website, don't know address, but should be found by googling.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • STUFFMDSTUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited January 2003
    Needle doctor is online...has about 50 or so manufacturers of needles, you should be able to find what you need there. I even found my Bang and Olfsen there.
    Peace, Goodluck StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • madmaxmadmax Posts: 12,438
    edited January 2003
    I think acousticsounds.com and amusicdirect.com have some.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • shackshack Posts: 11,289
    edited January 2003
    Thanks for the info guys. I've already called the Needle Doctor and it may be a tough job to locate a replacement. I've got to send them a picture as it is an unusual piece. It's a start. I may have to figure how to rig a "universal" cartridge.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • George GrandGeorge Grand Posts: 12,272
    edited January 2003
    Try Lyle Cartridge on New York's, Long Island as well.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)