sorry for the length, but looking for input on troubles

Options
nyydmb12
nyydmb12 Posts: 10
edited July 2008 in Car Subwoofer Talk
My new setup the first I did all on my own came together pretty good aside from some minor annoying things.
So I have 2 12in polk momos 2124 each getting 400 watts(their RMS rating) However I built the boxes out of 3/4in ply wood. They aren't hitting as hard as I would like, and sometimes sounds like something is resonating (possibly the wood?) Also at first I didn't realize the wire I had bought was Hook up wire which is one wire instead of two(+,-), and it lacked other things speaker wire have(100% oxygen free and so forth) However it's my first build I was excited and pushed forward and was forced to do some patch work on the boxes (I thought they came out pretty good though).
So the questions.
1) could the wood be resonating.
2) could the hook up wire from the speaker terminal to the sub be wasting some power
3) Is it likely the seal isn't as good as I thought and losing some of the hit(sealed up most spaces with wood glue and saw dust, and occasionally liquid nails, also used silicon caulk where all pieces meet on the inside.

4) Finally Has anyone else Had a hell of a time trying to find a bit to fit the screws the sub's come with....I'm in a predicament taking the subs out be cause the screws wore down my bits that kind of fit.
Fronts- Polk Momo MMC 690 6"x9" 3-way Speakers
Rears JL audio 690TXI
4ch amp- alpine F-250 giving 40 watts each awaiting to be bridged to my polks for 100 watts a peice
mono amp- alpine F850 400 watts to two subs
subs 2 12in polk momo's 2124 single voice coil hooked up in 2 ohms in sealed box
Post edited by nyydmb12 on

Comments

• robsatx
    robsatx Posts: 5
    edited July 2008
    Options
    nyydmb12 wrote: »
    My new setup the first I did all on my own came together pretty good aside from some minor annoying things.
    So I have 2 12in polk momos 2124 each getting 400 watts(their RMS rating) However I built the boxes out of 3/4in ply wood. They aren't hitting as hard as I would like, and sometimes sounds like something is resonating (possibly the wood?) Also at first I didn't realize the wire I had bought was Hook up wire which is one wire instead of two(+,-), and it lacked other things speaker wire have(100% oxygen free and so forth) However it's my first build I was excited and pushed forward and was forced to do some patch work on the boxes (I thought they came out pretty good though).
    So the questions.
    1) could the wood be resonating.
    2) could the hook up wire from the speaker terminal to the sub be wasting some power
    3) Is it likely the seal isn't as good as I thought and losing some of the hit(sealed up most spaces with wood glue and saw dust, and occasionally liquid nails, also used silicon caulk where all pieces meet on the inside.

4) Finally Has anyone else Had a hell of a time trying to find a bit to fit the screws the sub's come with....I'm in a predicament taking the subs out be cause the screws wore down my bits that kind of fit.

That is one reason folks don't use plywood. You can pickup some polyfil and stuff the box, will probably fix that issue Your best best rebuild in MDF.
    On the power how exactly did you hook up? Also what size wire?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Yup. Plywood not only flexes like a **** but the different plys can actually rattle off each other! Afraid youre gonna have to build another box out of 3/4" MDF.

Run down to Walmart and buy you some 14 gauge speaker wire. 50' for $12. No excuse not to use it.

Use wood screws from Home Depot. Ive never in my life used the stupid screws that come with speakers precisely because you cant use an ordinary screwdriver on them.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • BradimusMaximus
    BradimusMaximus Posts: 60
    edited July 2008
    Options
    If your building a new box anyway you can get some sweet mounting bolts and t-nuts for cheap from parts express. Tougher than screws and you just use an allen key.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-776
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT
    Alpine SPX-137R
    Alpine SPR-69LP
    Panasonic CY-PA4003U
    Kenwood KAC-X520
    Polk SR124
    :D
  • nyydmb12
    edited July 2008
    Options
    thanks for the replys...and as soon as I needed more wire to run from my amp to my subs I hopped all over that 50ft for 12 dollars haha. However that was after I screwed in the screws that ate away at my drill bits. So as i search for a drill bit that fits does anyone know if you can get some of the MDF at like lowes or home depot I got my wood from a local lumber store, but this being my first build I said particle board on accident instead of fiber, and I still ended up with plywood(I'm not sure if they carry MDF).

In reply to the wiring I have a alpine 850 that does 800 watts at 2ohms. So I just checked a wiring diagram and they should be getting 400 a piece.
    Rears JL audio 690TXI
    4ch amp- alpine F-250 giving 40 watts each awaiting to be bridged to my polks for 100 watts a peice
    subs 2 12in polk momo's 2124 single voice coil hooked up in 2 ohms in sealed box
  • nyydmb12
    edited July 2008
    Options
    well it looks like lowes...i was hoping i wouldn't find the wood before the drill bit though haha
    Rears JL audio 690TXI