Volume pots

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited January 2003 in Electronics
As far as cleaning goes....any recommendations or tips?

It seems pretty straightforward but I thought I'd ask.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Didn't we discuss this earlier, on aim?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2003
    Don't go overboard and try to clean the PCB's. If it has any age at all you can really cause a problem. Just spray a little cleaner in the control if you can, twist it around and see if the problem goes away. Usually when the weather is dry like it is now you get a scratching sound through the speakers and sometimes a little lubricant will get rid of it. Just don't go too far. I have and it sucks when the whole thing stops working.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Yeah, but I figured I ask around. I figured you might be leading me into frying my gear for your own amusement.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    Frying gear?

Man, whats wrong with a little Astro-glide on the pots, then bounce the pre off a rubber sheet a few times?

Cheers,
    Ron Jeremy
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited January 2003
    Yea,
    You never know if I'm madmax, tony rome or whoever. It's all legitimate on this board these days, huh? It's all acceptable, right? Just kidding.
    madmax

• madmax
    edited January 2003
    Sorry, that was off color if you've been reading any of the other topics. Good luck with the cleaning. I've heard that lubricating is more important than cleaning when it comes to pots. I'm still foggy on it though.
    madmax

• RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    MM, anything I said (towards you) was in *jest*, just "chewin' the fat there podner'. I mean that, you are a stand up dude around here,

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • madmax
    edited January 2003
    Thanks Russman!
    madmax

• madmax
    edited January 2003
    BTW,
    www.partsexpress.com has several spray cleaners and/or lubricants. I really like that place!
    madmax

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2003
    Unplug, give it a good spray with contact cleaner, slide or twist for about 1 minute, don't power up for a good 24-48 hrs. Works for me.
    Make it Funky! :)