Bi-wiring My Lsi9's And Lsic

Options
nellis8166
nellis8166 Posts: 292
Greetings all,

As I get deeper and deeper into my system I have been reading a lot about bi-wire methods. My question is will I benefit from doing this??? Keep in mind I am running them off a Harman Kardon AVR 525. So far I am very happy with the system, but looking for ways to improve as always. I am happy with the power, I really do not want to add another amplifier to the mix.
Could someone recommend some bargain cables. My budget is kind of tight at the moment. Thanks in advance,

Nat

System Specs:
HK AVR 525
Mains: LSI9
Center: LSIC
Surrounds and Rears: RTI28
RTi10
CSi5
RTi28
SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
-J. James
Post edited by nellis8166 on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'd say the cheapest way to go about it is just use two runs of the same wire. If you have binding posts that will support it, hook one up to the receiver bare wire and bananna the other one. Search around partsexpress and other sites, you can run across some affordable premade wires.

As far as improvement, I'm of the opinion that, yes, it's worth a try but as far as real improvements from a receiver and so forth, it may or may not net much improvement.

That's just my opinion however.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • bertram
    bertram Posts: 53
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I biwired my LSi15s / LSiC / LSi9s using plain 16 gauge zipcord. I'm not sure biwiring improves anything but it's cheap and doubles the available gauge. With zipcord you can also easily afford to replace the wire every year to get fresh, non-oxidated copper. I use bare wire ends because every additional connector can only interfere with the signal. Keep the connections tight and clean (use pure alcohol). In the distant past I used wires such as AudioTruth Dragon and Siltech LS-180 in an all-tube, high-end audio system, but realistically there was NO difference in the sound. In any case, room acoustics and interactions will totally SWAMP any minute differences in cabling. You can buy expensive, designer cables, and there's nothing wrong with that as it provides pride of ownership and something to show off and talk about, but you will not be changing the sound of you system one iota. But whatever you choose to do, have fun, because that's what it's all about.
    Multichannel Music:

Sony SCD-C2000ES SACD
    Denon 3803 AVR (pre/pro duty)
    Outlaw 755 amp
    Outlaw ICBM
    Polk LSi15/LSiC/LSi9 (front/center/surround)
    SVS PCU

HT:

Sony 9100ES DVD
    Outlaw 990 pre/pro
    Outlaw 7100 amp
    Panasonic TH-37PX50U plasma
    Polk RTi8/CSi5/RTi6/FXi5(front/center/surround/back)
    SVS PCU
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Welcome both of ya! If I haven't already.

I noticed quite an improvement when bi-wiring. I'm also as cheap as they can get.

The LSi are 4 Ohm, which require quite a draw of current an a correspondingly thick cable(s). I would think that 12 awg for your lows and 16 awg for highs would be sufficient. Depending on what you're currently using a trip Radio Shack or Home Depot might be in order. Take these wires and twist them real tight and clamp down. If your receiver's terminals have the ability, put it through the banana plug hole, out thru the pin hole, and wrap it around. Trim any excess with nail clips and you'll be able to swing your receiver around your head and skip extra money and connections.

Room acoustics or placement will kill anything. Good call - bertram!
    Make it Funky! :)