Here's The Most Craziest Thing That Happens And Need Answers?

joker187
joker187 Posts: 25
edited July 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
so i got a kenwood KAC-9125D it runs at 500wx1@4 ohms 900wx1@2ohms 1800w max. theres a + + - - if i hook both up seperate will the 1800w apply or will it split the power in two?
also i had it hooked up blew the battery fuse, changed the fuse turn car on and it workd. turned off, turn key back now it don't work...HERE'S THE MOST CRAZIEST THING THAT HAPPENS AND NEED ANSWERS?
i put a screwdriver to the gnd screw try to unscrew it and touch the amp with the screwdriver.....light comes on it works when i take it off it doesnt?when i lean the screwdriver on the amp when touching gnd screw on amp it work, when i dont lean it comes off? wtf is goin on, hooked up other amps they work just fine, need a bigger wire i got a 8awg(500w rms) running to it?do i have a short in a wire?is the amp i protect mode. Hooked up to another vehicle works fine?
Post edited by joker187 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2008
    My guess is you have the amp screwed into metal?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • only126db
    only126db Posts: 157
    edited July 2008
    Bad ground and amp screwed into metal....

Thats what it sounds like to me, thats why when u touch ground screw to amp it works, amp chassis is being used as a ground and touching the screw and amp at same time completes the circuit...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2008
    I doubt the ground is bad. If any ground point is bad, it's chassis ground inside the amp. But more than likely, it's shorting out before the ground lead.

The problem is likely happening because of what Cody said. The amp shouldn't be screwed directly to metal. It's probably shorting out the chassis ground of the amp and that's lighting up the protection circuits. Cut out a piece of MDF or plywood, make it pretty and paint or carpet it if you want. Screw that to the metal you have the amp mounted to and then mount the amp to the panel you just made. That will insulate it and should solve your issues.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2008
    kenwood is the only manufacturer that ive had problems with **** the amp to metal. it is very common with that series of amps and the reason i discourage them at work. poor r and d if you ask me.

**** amps to metal is very common place. although not the best, you shouldn't blow fuses bc of it.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it