New Install Help MM6500

Smokedoutz28
Smokedoutz28 Posts: 22
edited July 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just had the DB's Replace for the Momo's, Im seeing that the crossover wires differently between the two so how do I wire up the new cross over from the Momo's?

It says Tweeter In on one side and Tweeter Out On the other, Same for the woofer all I have is one Input from the amp any ideas? Or do I have to run the tweets off the head unit? Thanks
Post edited by Smokedoutz28 on

Comments

• Bryan M
    Bryan M Posts: 25
    edited July 2008
    heya,

there are 2 ways of wiring the x-over.
    You can either power the x-over off a single input, or bi-wire them.

So basically, if you have a 4 channel amp, you can run two channels to the woofer (in) and 2 channels to the tweeter (in), and this lets you adjust the gains independently.

However, if you have a 2 channel amp, you can wire them to a single input, and click a switch over, so that it outputs to the tweeter and woofer.

Check the manual out for exact settings, or if you do not have one, let me know, and I will check mine for you.

cya
  • Smokedoutz28
    edited July 2008
    Awsome, I have the manual but it sure didn't put it as clear as you did. So I click the Switch to Single input and it will run the tweets & woofer correct?

I have a 4 channel amp but the other two channels are in use. (rear fill) shhhhh
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited July 2008
    Awsome, I have the manual but it sure didn't put it as clear as you did. So I click the Switch to Single input and it will run the tweets & woofer correct?

I have a 4 channel amp but the other two channels are in use. (rear fill) shhhhh

Thats right. Switch it to single, then run a single channel to each crossover. From there you will run the wires for the tweeter and woofer from the crossover (If I remember correctly, they even supply you with some wires!). With the MMC6500, if you are using 1 channel to power the components (which you are in this case), make sure you plug the wires into the TWEETER input. There should have been a sticker over the terminals that has this information written on it.
  • Smokedoutz28
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I saw that but didn't really understand why... Any reason for this?
  • 03CelicaMD
    03CelicaMD Posts: 9
    edited July 2008
    so if you dont have an amp you dont need to install the crossover or you do either way?
  • Smokedoutz28
    edited July 2008
    I would do it either way, At the very least it came with the speakers so it should be used with them.
  • black magic
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I saw that but didn't really understand why... Any reason for this?

Well, you're gonna need an input channel for the crossover from the power source (amp). The input for the mmc6500's xover is the tweeter terminals when they are being powered with one channel.
  • Bryan M
    Bryan M Posts: 25
    edited July 2008
    @ 03CelicaMD - Yes, even if you are using your HU, you should be using the x-over, unless you are running an active system (this is when you use external x-overs, for example, the ones built into an amp, instead of the supplied x-over, which is passive).

SO yes, unless you have another x-over being used, then use the supplied x-overs, as these will save your speakers from getting damaged (by supplying your tweeter with midrange frequencies, or your mids with subwoofer range frequencies etc)
  • Smokedoutz28
    edited July 2008
    Well, you're gonna need an input channel for the crossover from the power source (amp). The input for the mmc6500's xover is the tweeter terminals when they are being powered with one channel.
    ohh I see. Well that makes sense.

What should I set the amp x-over to now keep in mind im still running the x-over that came with the momo's and right now the amp is set to 80hz on full range mode.
  • black magic
    edited July 2008
    ohh I see. Well that makes sense.

What should I set the amp x-over to now keep in mind im still running the x-over that came with the momo's and right now the amp is set to 80hz on full range mode.

If you're running full-range, that usually turns off the EQ on the amp. If you do choose to use a High Pass Filter (HPF) do it to whatever you think sounds best. Most people will have it pickup where the sub leaves off.

eg. if sub has a LPF of 80hz midbass/midrange drivers will have a hpf of 80hz
  • Smokedoutz28
    edited July 2008
    Ok Will do! Now Just need to find a good sub and amp combo to run. Thanks for all the help guys.