Will this be a decent setup?

litterbox
litterbox Posts: 8
edited July 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I recently bought a new 08 chevy colorado regular cab. I have a few ideas that I put together, please give your input on what I have come up with. I want something that is going to sound good, but I don't want to be popping speakers all of the time either. I am looking at either a double din pioneer with BT or Apline single din. I have room for a set of Polk db6501's up front (limited by door mounting depth) being pushed by a Polk PA250.2 and since I really do not have much rooms for 10's in the back (measured, didn;t like the fit) that I could fit 3 8' Polk MM2084's being pushed by a Polk PA600.1. I came up with an ohm load of 1.33 which should be more than fine with that amp and should be just under 200 watts a sub. My biggest question is how would this setup sound in a reg cab truck and will the speakers handle this power? I know distortion normally kills a speaker (which I set my gains with a dmm first and then fine tune from there) but at the same time, I don't know how much "headroom" these amps have. I was thinking about going with the JL 8w3 sub at first, but I hate to ruin an all Polk setup. :D Any and all responses greatly appreciated.
Post edited by litterbox on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited June 2008
    i would say u should try to listen to the 8" subs first
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • litterbox
    edited June 2008
    i would say u should try to listen to the 8" subs first

Any certain reason? Are 8's not a good idea? Please explain, this will hopefully help me from making a mistake later.:eek:
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited June 2008
    well i love subs because they produce that low that most speakers cant hit.... 8s usualy dont hit that low.... ur sure u have no room for ANY shallow mount sub?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • litterbox
    edited June 2008
    Lucky I have a few friends that are good on searching. I found a set of boxes that will house 2 10's. If this is the case, I would place 2 MM2104DVC paralleled down to a 1 ohm load. Thanks for questioning the 3 8's. This will be a much cleaner install. Anyways, this still pertains to my original question. Will the 2 10's rated at 300 each for a total of 600 together take the 600 watts from the PA600.1 ok? How much power above 90 does the PA250.2 produce? Sorry for the questions, I have had no experience with Polk amps. I have normally used un-regulated amps (Rockford) in the past that normally always produced more than their rated power.
  • litterbox
    edited June 2008
    As I was looking on Crutchfield for some 10's to fit my new found boxes, I come across that the momo 10's are discontinued. Is this just a Crutchfield thing or are they replacing the Momo line?
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2008
    Replacing the momo line I think....
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2008
    I've heard some setups that ran 8" subs that were nothing to laugh at. If done right you could get some nice bass out them.

A little while back one of my good friends took his car to the shop. I think he had an amp installed or something. The guys there were kind of laughing at the little sub and enclosure. Things all changed once he cranked the volume on it. That little thing actually sent pretty good bass through his car, sounded nice doing it too.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • litterbox
    edited July 2008
    After seeing the enclosures, I will definitely be going with two 10's. Has anyone had esperience with the new PA amps? Are they true to their rating, how is performance, clarity, heating issues (1 ohm load, WOW) in an under the seat install. This is my first truck install, I've always had cars with a nice big trunks before. This is definitely different than what I am used to. :)