New Speakers

Options
KJB
KJB Posts: 10
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I have had 10b monitors for 15 years and have been very pleased.

I was thinking of buying a pair of RTi70's to begin building a home theatre system.

Is this a good place to start?

What sub-woofer would you buy with these?

Thanks for your help.
Post edited by KJB on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    KJB,

A lot of variables there. Any reason why you wouldn't want to build an HT around the Monitor 10B's?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • KJB
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The tweeter in one of the 10B's is not working (see post under technical issues). I hope to repair it and I have other uses for them.
  • nikhil
    nikhil Posts: 7
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by KJB

I was thinking of buying a pair of RTi70's to begin building a home theatre system.

Is this a good place to start?

What sub-woofer would you buy with these?

KJB, you're definitely in the right direction. towers are a good idea any day. if you're really set on the RTi170 system then take a look at the product page for matching sub-woofers here http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=3&speaker=176

have you thought of the R30s (save a little dough). take a look here http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=3&speaker=180

nik

[size="-1"]Source : ONKYO
    Receiver : ONKYO
    Speakers : POLK
    [/size]
  • KJB
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I went out and listened to the RTi170's and was very impressed. I'm picking them up on Monday.
  • abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I owned a set of Monitor 10Bs for several years. I sold them after buying my SDAs. I later bought them back to have speakers while my SDAs were in storage (I'm in the Navy and was in the middle of a transfer). I was amazed at how good they sounded compared to the SDAs. Even their imaging was excellent. I haven't been able to give any of the RTi series much of a listen yet, so I can't provide any help there.
  • KJB
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'm keepng the 10B's. One need to be repaired and I will use them in another room. They do sound great!
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Yes the R30's are the way to go,
    good and clean--looks nice too-packe a punch..
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited January 2003
    Options
    KJB:
    You and I are in a similiar boat. I just got a new home with a living room, and a downstairs rec room. Put my 10B's downstairs and am looking to replace them on the upstairs HT system. I have been considering the RTi70 amoung others.
    I actually went out and bought the R-50's on a whim, and am likely going to return them. They sound very very good, but I was looking for great. The bass is a tad to muddy for me, and seems to be almost on a seperate sound stage from the highs, instead of the 10B's where it is all one seamless full sound stage. Polk does seem to market the R- series as their entry level speaker. They do have a good bottom end, just not defined enough for me.
    Be interested in your opinion of the RTi70's once you get them compared to the 10B's.
    Good Luck, Have fun with it.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • KJB
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Zen,

I bought the Rti70's and also a PSW350 (Polk was running a Holiday special, I think because they are phasing in a new line of sub woofers).

I installed them last night and they sound GREAT!

I am very, very pleased. I thought my system sounded good before (at least before I blew the tweeter on my 10b that started this exploration into new speakers) but I'm hearing music like I've never heard it before.

I moved my Monitor 10b's to another room and they work very well there.

Polk customer service sent me a new tweeter for one of the 10b's ($48 for Club members). I installed it in minutes and they are sounding as good as ever.

I hope this is helpful.