Croosover??????

bigaudiofanatic
bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
edited June 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Okay I want to finaly dive into this subject. Should I use the reciever which is a 9881 alpine or should I use the ones in the amps. and also what about the ones built in to the compnet momo set. Were should they be set to now that I dont have a sub and were should they be set after I get my sub. Thanks For your help:confused:
HT setup
Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
Denon DBP-1610
Monster HTS 1650
Carver A400X :cool:
MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
Kef 104/2
URC MX-780 Remote
Sonos Play 1

Living Room
63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
Polk Surroundbar 3000
Samsung BD-C7900

Comments

• only126db
    only126db Posts: 157
    edited June 2008
    Okay I want to finaly dive into this subject. Should I use the reciever which is a 9881 alpine or should I use the ones in the amps. and also what about the ones built in to the compnet momo set. Were should they be set to now that I dont have a sub and were should they be set after I get my sub. Thanks For your help:confused:

This is all about trial and error, each vehicle and setup will respond differently to different crossover slopes try the HU's and then try the amps whichever you like, unless they are the same slope then I'd just set the amp at full range and use the decks x-over.

As for setting a high pass crossover for your main speakers with no subs it depends on the ability of the main speakers to handle bass and at what volume level you plan on playing them at. I would start with a bare minimum 40hz hi pass, this as I said depends on the volume you play them at, without subs I dont think you would want to go over 80-90 hz.....After subs you can go up to 150hz which will also increase the ability of the main speakers to play at higher volumes and continue to sound clean.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2008
    Going active is always better than using passive crossovers. The best way is to use the crossovers on your head unit as theyre probably going to be better than the ones on your amp. However youll have to be bi-amping your components if youre going to use the head unit because the tweeters will have to be crossed over and without the passive, youll have to be running a dedicated line from the head unit.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D