My SR6500 finally arrived, im happy

Kinetic
Kinetic Posts: 437
edited July 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
guys thanks a lot for all the comments, i recently recived my SR6500 on the mail today.

at first glance they look awesome, i connect the pair to my amp, and sounds beutiful.

i will install them on saturday, but two more questions...

Is it better to install them ON-Axis, or OFF-Axis, i used to have the DB tweets OFF-Axis near the winshield, on the OEM location, and i feel its better... (but im no expert)

And im using "12 gauge knukonceptz Karma" speaker cable, from the AMP to the Crossover.
Can I use a 16 Gauge from the Crossover to the Driver? Im using 65 RMS per driver bi-amped (its easier to install on my doors)..
Z
/////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
/////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
/////Alpine PDX-4.150
/////Alpine PDX-1.1000
Polk Audio SR 6500
Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
/////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
/////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
/////Alpine PDX-4.150
/////Alpine PDX-1.1000
/////Alpine SPX 17PRO
/////Alpine SWX 1243D
KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
Post edited by Kinetic on

Comments

• candaddy
    candaddy Posts: 54
    edited June 2008
    16 gauge should be sufficient.

Aim the speakers however they sound best to you. My standard starting point is to aim the opposite side speaker directly at your eyes and the near side speaker directly at the passenger's eyes. That way the far side speaker is playing directly on-axis to you and the near side is somewhat off-axis. Because off-axis response is usually lower in volume than on-axis response, this helps make the near side speaker not seem as near (both speakers sound more so as if they were the same distance from you).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2008
    x2^^ Start with that. Use velcro or maybe some kind of putty for temporary placement. Where are your mids? In the OE location?
  • Kinetic
    edited June 2008
    yep

mids at the doors and the tweet in the dashboard near the windshield
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • DemonAstroth
    DemonAstroth Posts: 131
    edited June 2008
    En donde estacionas tu carro? A mi me gustarian unos SR's tambien. :)
  • Kinetic
    edited June 2008
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • Kinetic
    edited June 2008
    En donde estacionas tu carro? A mi me gustarian unos SR's tambien. :)

pero vivo en mexico...

ademas lo cuido como si fuera mi hijo...
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2008
    The SR6500 mids will easily play up to 4 KHz at 90 degrees off axis before they start rolling off (the 5250's will play up to 5 KHz!!) so you can mount them off axis and theyll sound just fine.

The tweeters are a little different as they tend to be pretty directional. That being said, mine are mounted right where yours would go in my Accord and Im not really having any problems getting them to play right. However, if I could fiberglass without it looking like hammered **** I would put them in the A pillars about 1" above the highest point on the dash firing to the opposite head rest. Ive stuck them up there before with some tape and they do focus up better there. But unless youre going to compete, the difference really wont be noticeable.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Kinetic
    edited June 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    The SR6500 mids will easily play up to 4 KHz at 90 degrees off axis before they start rolling off (the 5250's will play up to 5 KHz!!) so you can mount them off axis and theyll sound just fine.

The tweeters are a little different as they tend to be pretty directional. That being said, mine are mounted right where yours would go in my Accord and Im not really having any problems getting them to play right. However, if I could fiberglass without it looking like hammered **** I would put them in the A pillars about 1" above the highest point on the dash firing to the opposite head rest. Ive stuck them up there before with some tape and they do focus up better there. But unless youre going to compete, the difference really wont be noticeable.

ok so thats what im doing...

and the 16 gauge speaker cable, is enough to use them from the crossover to the drivers?, i have 12 gauge from the amp to the crossover, but its almost imposible to install it on the doors (from the cabin to the doors)...

does this affect my SQ?
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • DemonAstroth
    DemonAstroth Posts: 131
    edited June 2008
    Mac,

Since you seem to have experience with both 5250's and 6500's. How much difference does the midbass make from one to the other? Having the mids roll up all the way up to 5k should help bring up the sound.

My car is pretty small (Infiniti G20t), and the stock location for the front is 4x6, so even though I have fitted some 6.5 I had some great Audiobahn's (<~~~sarcasm), and now I have some SPX's, I am always weary of getting some speakers that will not fit. It happened before with the MM6's. I think with the ring that the 6500's I could make it fit though... but if the difference is not substantial I may be better off with the 5.25's and I would have more space to dynamat behind them.

Kinetic,
    Me gusta que tu install se va a ver completamente stock, pero me interesa mas la diferencia sonora.
  • Kinetic
    edited June 2008
    Kinetic,
    Me gusta que tu install se va a ver completamente stock, pero me interesa mas la diferencia sonora.

mi idea desde un principio fue ponerle el mejor sonido posible en cuestion de SQ, pero sin perder el estilo "stock" del interior.

espero ya terminar de armarlo la proxima semana, y tener resultados favorables.

solo me falta terminar de instalar el sound deadner en el piso del interior del auto, y colocar las SR en la posicion stock
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited June 2008
    Kinetic wrote: »

Hey, I was wondering what type of sound deadner you used? is it RAAM audio?
  • Kinetic
    edited June 2008
    Yep RAAM Audio BTX plus RAAM Audio Ensolite
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • black magic
    edited June 2008
  • Kinetic
    edited June 2008
    Guys

I already buy KnuKonceptz cable 16 gauge, but im having problems with the crossovers, because they are huge, and i cant figured out, where to put them..

is it true, that they are suppossed to be near the driver?, or can i put them in the trunk next to the subwoofer?
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • black magic
    edited June 2008
    I have my momo components right beside my amps in the trunk. I don't know the magnet in the subwoofer will interfere with any of the components inside the crossover, though.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2008
    They do not need to be near the drivers. But, you do have to run more speaker wire the closer you put it to the amp.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Meeks32
    Meeks32 Posts: 330
    edited June 2008
    I look forward to your impressions of them when you get them installed. I purchased some off ebay for $400 brand new & with the 10% off ebay coupon it was only $360. Mine are scheduled to be delivered this monday & will be replacing a pair of Focal polyglass components. The focals are too bright for my taste & choice of music, so hopefully by all the reviews I've read the SR's will cure that.
  • Kinetic
    edited June 2008
    Meeks32 wrote: »
    I look forward to your impressions of them when you get them installed. I purchased some off ebay for $400 brand new & with the 10% off ebay coupon it was only $360. Mine are scheduled to be delivered this monday & will be replacing a pair of Focal polyglass components. The focals are too bright for my taste & choice of music, so hopefully by all the reviews I've read the SR's will cure that.

let us know what do you think when you install them.

Actually here in mexico everyone thinks that focal is the best speaker, and Polk is not well known, but I have learn a lot here, thats why i went all SR.

i will let you know my impressions when i finish my installation, may be in two more days
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2008
    Mac,

Since you seem to have experience with both 5250's and 6500's. How much difference does the midbass make from one to the other? Having the mids roll up all the way up to 5k should help bring up the sound.

My car is pretty small (Infiniti G20t), and the stock location for the front is 4x6, so even though I have fitted some 6.5 I had some great Audiobahn's (<~~~sarcasm), and now I have some SPX's, I am always weary of getting some speakers that will not fit. It happened before with the MM6's. I think with the ring that the 6500's I could make it fit though... but if the difference is not substantial I may be better off with the 5.25's and I would have more space to dynamat behind them.

The 5250's do have weaker midbass than the 6500's but that doesnt mean they have weak midbass, just not as much as the 6500's. I ran them all last year and never once got hit by a judge for having weak midbass and I was only running 50 watts per driver.

The thing the 5250's do better is image. I was able to get them more focused then the 6500's which I figure is due to them being able to play so much higher so you dont get as many phase issues since a larger majority of frequencies are coming from the same driver.

So thats about the only real difference. If I had to rate them, Id give the 6500's a 9 in midbass and 7.5 in imaging and the 5250's an 8 in midbass and a 9 in imaging with everything else being pretty much equal.

Both are excellent speakers that have gone up against the best in the world and more than held their own. Get what fits - you wont be disappointed in either of them.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2008
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2008
    Guys

I already buy KnuKonceptz cable 16 gauge, but im having problems with the crossovers, because they are huge, and i cant figured out, where to put them..

is it true, that they are suppossed to be near the driver?, or can i put them in the trunk next to the subwoofer?

That is what I did when I was running my Rainbow Germaniums. The x-overs on these are pretty large. I hid them behind the trunk finishing material. I kept it the same way for my Profi's since all the wiring was already there.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Kinetic
    edited July 2008
    OK

I already install the crossovers, well actually i went with a friend of mine to help me since he is a profesional installer.

we put the crossovers below the dashboard, above, the carpet, so no one can kick them.

And i Listen for the first time my babys...

They sound awesome, my installer was amazed, he claim that the morel elate, are more natural on the tweeter, but since my polks are bi-amped, i have to adjust the gains so the tweeter blends right.

the mid bass kicks awesome, much more than the morels
    and sounds awesome at my taste.

the tweeters sounds smooth but i have to blend them right, (a lot of work there...) but thats the fun part about car audio.

Im waiting two more weeks of listening until my final decition, but so far its good.

Also i have to tune the parametric EQ, so i will give you more news on a few days

Thanks to all the people who help me, specially Mac who is always helping me
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2008
    Glad you like em dude and Im glad to help.

• black magic
    edited July 2008
    Congrats. I recently installed my SR components as well and I'm in love :)
  • Kinetic
    edited July 2008
    Yesterday i did the Imprint calibration for my new components

The sound is truly amazing, you can play what ever kind of music you want and its going to sound great.

I put the gains on the amp, at the same level for woofers and tweeters, but i low the db on the tweeter with the crossover to -1.5.

i think i have like 75 RMs per driver, I hope its ok...

the computer blend it very well, the tweeter feels present, but doesnt overcome the other drivers, and feels like one simple driver.

you do feel like inside a living room hearing a profesional Audio System.

The woofers are so much better than the Morel, this babys make a deep acurate bass, without any effort.

I am planing on maybe compete one day just to see how my car ranks on the national audio, wich is not too good by the way
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • frosty2k
    frosty2k Posts: 39
    edited July 2008
    I already install the crossovers, well actually i went with a friend of mine to help me since he is a profesional installer.

we put the crossovers below the dashboard, above, the carpet, so no one can kick them.

Hey, quick question since you were just playing with the crossovers. Do the connection points on the crossover and speakers work better with ring terminals, or with bare wire? I'm buying all the wiring and distribution blocks I'm going to need to put the speakers in but dont know if I'll need ring terminals for every connection. I know my amps are setup for bare wire compression connections but not sure about the speaker end.

And btw, after I saw how huge the crossovers were, I'm planning on mounting them on the rack in the trunk along with the amps. (essentially mounted on the sub box)
    /////ALPINE INA-W900 HU
    /////ALPINE PXA-H100 DSP
    polkaudio SR5250
    JL Audio HD600/4
    polkaudio SR124DVC
    JL Audio HD750/1

"In this house, we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics!"
  • Kinetic
    edited July 2008
    frosty2k wrote: »
    Hey, quick question since you were just playing with the crossovers. Do the connection points on the crossover and speakers work better with ring terminals, or with bare wire? I'm buying all the wiring and distribution blocks I'm going to need to put the speakers in but dont know if I'll need ring terminals for every connection. I know my amps are setup for bare wire compression connections but not sure about the speaker end.

And btw, after I saw how huge the crossovers were, I'm planning on mounting them on the rack in the trunk along with the amps. (essentially mounted on the sub box)

Ok I you can use the bare cable on the crossovers if you want, but personally I prefered the ring terminals.

so, the amp has its own gold plated speaker terminal
    http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/images/var/ALPINE-PDX-1.600-extra1.jpg

then the cable goes to my crossover with gold plated ring terminals (but it can be the bare wire)
    http://www.vtec.com.mx/varios/berny/sound/2008/27062008399.jpg

I buyed these "ring" terminals at RadioShack to use them on the crossover
    http://www.radioshack.com.mx/detalle.php?SKU=2780311

then from the crossover to the woofer again this ones
    http://www.radioshack.com.mx/detalle.php?SKU=2780311

and from the crossover to the tweeter i buy these at radio shack
    http://www.radioshack.com.mx/detalle.php?SKU=2780310
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited July 2008
    i was told that bare wire is better because u have less connections.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8