Polk Momo 6.5" comps vs. Focal 165 A1

Airplay355
Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
edited June 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm getting a new car (2000 Subaru Outback Limited) and I need to put new speakers in it since the front mids are blown. I currently have Polk Momos in my protege now and they are pretty nice. My only complaint (and this is running them off a Pioneer HU) is that they don't really play that loud. I blame this on the fact that I'm probably running them on 2 watts or something and the fact that they only have an 89db/watt efficiency rating.

I own a pair of JM Lab chorus speakers and I liked them better then the Rti's I used to own. I was wondering if Focal and Polk car speakers compared similarly. The focals have a 92db/watt efficiency rating so running them off a HU should be better then the polks but I've never heard them so I'm not sure If they'd actually sound better or just louder.

Are the Focals nicer then the polks? Can I trust listening rooms to find out for myself? Is there another pair of speakers I should consider in the <$200 price range?

I generally listen to electronic music but I have an SVS sub driver to handle the low end, so I'm not looking for my speakers to be subwoofers.
Post edited by Airplay355 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2008
    Are you transferring your old speakers/radio to the new car?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2008
    I can't even imagine why anyone would spend time seriously debating the sonic differences between $200 components (such as between Polk and Focal) when they're just planning on running them off a HU. Makes zero sense to me.

And, yes, I said something irrelevant to your question since I can't actually answer your question! :p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Airplay355
    edited June 2008
    No. I'll be getting a new HU. My mom decided it was best to just let the old stuff go with the old car and get new stuff and who am I to argue :D

I'm debating the differences because eventually I'll get an amp and then differences will be audible so I'd like to buy the best speakers the first time around.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2008
    Focals generally have better midbass but I always thought they were too bright.

The Momo's wont have as much midbass kick as the Focals but will be smoother overall.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Bryan M
    Bryan M Posts: 25
    edited June 2008
    take out the polks, get a nice HU, and the money you would have spent on speakers, buy a nice small 2 channel amp.

And get $10 cheapies to replace your polks with, if you have to leave something in the car
  • Airplay355
    edited June 2008
    OK you talked me into it. I'll keep the polks and my HU (it's a pretty nice one, atleast I won't find better for the amount Im willing to spend) and I'll get an amp.

What kind of amps do you guys suggest in the 200< range.
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited June 2008
    IMO man if you're gonna have a nice set of Polk Momo comp u need a nicer amp than a $200 amp that's for sure. I would get a powerful 4-channel and biamp the Polks. That's what I'm doing with my Boston Acoustics and they sound awesome that way.
  • Bryan M
    edited June 2008
    heya,

Good idea mate :)

Heres a killer amp at a killer price. I have the X200.4, and it runs my mids damn nicely on 2 channels, and 2 x Polk DB12's on the other 2 channels!

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5909
    Its a Phoenix Gold X200.2 in case the link does not work, at www.woofersetc.com

Its not PG's latest amp, but a few years back was their flagship model, and sounds amazing.

If you want to bi-amp your splits (run the tweeters orr a seperate channel) you will have to get a 4 channel amp, but if you place th tweeters right, you can use the attenuator on the x-overs for the tweeters to get the splits sounding pretty good.

Hope that help. If you do not like that amp,check out that site, they got some damn nice stuff and cheap. You Americans are damn spoilt!

cya
  • Airplay355
    edited June 2008
    I was thinking of going with this amp. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11204_Hifonics+TXi+6408.html

I don't need an expensive amp, I'm not building a competition system, just something to keep me satisfied on my 9 mile drive to school. I'm not looking to win any SPL contests.
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2008
    Amps don't just give you SPL. They also give you SQ (and you definitely know that from home audio).

If you don't think your SQ expectations warrant a 'nice' amp, then I don't think they should really warrant a critical look at MOMO's vs. Focals.

I don't know, maybe I'm being too harsh here. But those are my immediate thoughts, at least. :)
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Airplay355
    edited June 2008
    I understand amps effect quality but I do not have an infinite amount of money to spend. I asked for the best amp that cost's less then 200 to use with the best speakers costing less then 200.

Focals and Momos are in the same price range and will sound different powered by the same HU or the same amp. Comparing them is a perfectly logical thing to do. I'm not comparing apples to oranges, the prices are within $15. Just because I'd be powering them with a lesser quality amp or HU doesn't mean they will sound the same.

If you have nothing productive to add to the thread then please post elsewhere. So far all you've done is criticize me for what I want. I do not need to warrant asking a question. Asking for advice on the best amp for less then 200 is certainly in line with what this forum was created for.
  • Bryan M
    edited June 2008
    The Hifonics amp would do fine if you bridge it, or you could use it to run eash component off a channel, although you may be underpowering the mids a tad on 85W.

The Phoenix Gold is an amazing amp for SQ, and would probably give you better sound (although I have not used the Hifonics so cannot say this for sure).
    It is a little more, but would last a long time, and be an amp you could keep for years to come.

But in essence, either amp would do you fine, so go with the one you think is better, as you are the one that has to have it in your car :)

cya
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2008
    Wow, did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Did I really come across as that critical? If so, I apologize.

Happy hunting...hope you find the amp you want.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2008
    Not big on Hifonics. Shaky build quality and they have a tendency to not make their rated power.

Here are a couple suggestions:

You can get one of the new Polk amps for $230 shipped and fully authorized from Crutchfield. I use these amps in competition and so far after 4 shows this season, theyre undefeated....with 2 best of shows! :D

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=120&i=107PA2502&tp=115

2nd choice would be this Rockford Fosgate for $140 shipped.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=120&i=575P3252&tp=115
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Airplay355
    edited June 2008
    Mac,

I do like the polk amps a lot even though they are a little pricey for me. I'd rather get a 4 channel one so I could bridge one channel to use with a sub. Do you think think that's a bad idea?

Is buying used car audio not smart? I wouldn't mind buying one of the older discontinued Polk amps if I could get more for my money.
  • Airplay355
    edited June 2008
    maybe i should spend the extra $100 and get one of these? http://www.highdecibels.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PA500%2E4
  • Bryan M
    edited June 2008
    hey,

That polk amp above is nice, but imho, 250watts bridged is not going to run many subs to their fullest of their abilities (even the db series runs at 400w rms)

I would buy a nice 2-channel amp, and a nice mono when you add a sub.
    2nd hand is not a bad idea, but there is always a risk involved, but its a great way to get bargains. Just make sure you buy froma reputable person (ie, someone well known on forums, and that has not just joined etc).
    Last years models are another great way to save, as like with the PG i posted ealier, you get good bargains for very very good amp.

goodluck
  • Airplay355
    edited June 2008
    Why isn't 250 enough? I don't understand the whole car audio wattage thing. I'm an HT guy and 250 watts is plenty. Whats the difference?

I'm using an SVS sub driver and I can put it into whatever size box I like and I'm not trying to win competitions, just trying to have some bass.
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2008
    250 watts is plenty in home audio simply because of the noise floor. In your car, youre going to have to overcome around 80 db of road and wind noise. 250 watts can get over the excess noise but you want have any bass with authority. 500 watts is a good amount of power that wont break the bank but will have enough hutzpah to overpower road noise.

• exalted512
    edited June 2008
    why have 500, when you have 4kw?
    531337_328_full.jpg

Then again...maybe 4kw isnt for everyone.
    -Cody
  • Airplay355
    edited June 2008
    so 500 watts for a sub is a good amount...

What about my components? Is 85 from the polk amp you suggested good enough?

I just don't have any experience with any car audio. I've owned plenty of home audio stuff so I know what to expect and what features certain gear will have but I have no idea what any amps are going to sound like.
  • exalted512
    edited June 2008
    crutchfield is authorized, but it also pretty expensive.

For people on a budget, I like www.onlinecarstereo.com

A lot of other people have success with www.sonicelectronix.com

You can get much more amp for your money.

I would strive closer to the 100x2 mark for your components.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2008
    More power is always better to a point. If you can afford 150 watts per channel then that would be better but 85 aint no slouch. There is a point where youre paying for power youll never use and to me 150-200 is about all you should ever get for mids/highs. Sure you can put 500 watts per driver but youre never using more than 150 so why bother? Its like putting a bad **** 500 hp engine in your car but never driving more than 35 mph.

It also depends on what youre wanting. If youre just wanting some tunes to listen to while youre driving to work then you dont need a lot of power. However if youre wanting to get the best sounding system you can then get the most power you can afford.

• MacLeod
    edited June 2008
    Alpine