SDA 3.1 Vintage

Options
benichols
benichols Posts: 3
I purchased a set of SDA 3.1 Speakers off of eBay. They need minor refinishing on the exterior wood and perhaps some new grill cloth. The question I have is that the interconnect (?) cord is missing.. What is this item and why do I need it (Where can I get it)???

Thanks for the help,
B. Nichols
-=* B. E. Nichols *=-
Post edited by benichols on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    edited December 2002
    Options
    B.E.,

I see you found us, welcome!

The interconnect cable for the 3.1TL's you're bidding on is called a pin/blade type which is no longer available from Polk, they only have the pin/pin type. You can make one, "how to" is posted in here if you do a search. The cable is for the SDA effect which "uses the acoustically inverted dimensional signal to cancel the extra signals without affecting the original recorded signal reaching the listener's ears." In short, it creates a wider, deeper soundstage very much like listening to live music. It will leave you with a big :D everytime.
    WARNING: Do not use mono blocks or non-common ground amps without the AI-1 interconnect cable. Get a manual from Polk before hooking these up.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2002
    Options
    F1, you are clueless regarding that A1 interconnect. That is ancient ****. Its unnecessary on the latest and best TL series speakers built in 1991. Get your freak'n facts straight dude.
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Hell ya ron!!!!

scott:cool:
  • F1nut
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Hmmmm....a double shot from the Hoosier boys.

Ok, I've got some 2.3TL's dated 1992 and they came with the AI-1 interconnect as well as the manual stating clearly not to use mono blocks or non-common ground amps without it. And those are the facts, dudettes! Maybe you should know what you're talking about before you open your mouth, jeez talk about clueless :rolleyes:

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Upon further reflection I would like add another comment concerning ron's and scott's posts. Do you think that those posts are of benefit to the questions asked by B.E. and if so, how? You attack me for trying to help a newbie, why? Because you Hoosier boys stick together? Just what is wrong with the water up there?

President of Club Polk

• benichols
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Sorry to cause a feud!!..

BTW: I am NOT a Hoosier!.. I just live here!! I have NO idea what the hell a Hoosier is, as no one here seems to know. If I were to take an educated guess, I would say it means "Ignorant Hayseed".. But this is simply an observance of mine. But thanks for the help.

In any case, I can't seem to locate the help section you were talking about but their parts listing for SRS series shows a SDACORD20PB... Is this it (20' Pin / Blade)?? It lists for around $25.00..

B.E.
    -=* B. E. Nichols *=-
  • F1nut
    edited December 2002
    Options
    B.E.,

The Hoosier comments were not directed towards you, I didn't even notice that you lived in Indiana. I am sorry that your simple question resulted in the immature posts of a few, most of us here are grown up's.
    In the interest of the facts I dug out the manual that covers the 1.2, 2.3 and 3.1TL series. This is what it says, "THE AMPLIFIER MUST BE OF THE COMMON-GROUND TYPE. Virtually all receivers and amplifiers are constucted this way with the amplifier chassis serving as the common ground between channels. When using seperate monophonic amplifiers, it is a good idea to connect a wire between the two chassis to ensure a common ground or use the Polk AI-1 Amplifier Interface. If you think that your amplifier may not be common-grounded, call Polk Audio, your hi-fi dealer, or the manufacturer of the amplifier to find out for certain."
    I for one would feel better using the AI-1 than running a wire between the two, but in any case Polk clearly states that either must be done.
    To the best of my knowledge that part is no longer available, but Har posted a "how to make one" and I will try to find that for you.

F1nut

President of Club Polk

• rskarvan
    edited December 2002
    Options
    The interconnect cable for the 3.1TL's you're bidding on is called a pin/blade type which is no longer available from Polk, they only have the pin/pin type.

>>> What the hell... I have NEVER seen a pin/pin interconnect.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2002
    Options
    What about the "facts" ron? Can't admit when you're wrong either?!?

President of Club Polk

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited December 2002
    Options
    i could explain what a hoosier is,but that would require some typing and im tired and going to bed. night all.

scott:cool:
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Here is your looking for...

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2872

Happy New Year to all, Cheers...

Har
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    Options
    WTF? Are the cultists trying to vie for the Grand Wazoo seat? Try my purple potion.

B. - Welcome to the Forum.

F1Nut and Har - Good job.

Whether or not the A-1 interface is needed for non-common ground amps, I couldn't say. But I'd be damn if I'd buy a pair of SDAs off E-bay only to fry the inards without one. If I knew otherwise I'd offer info as to why or why not, or a method of determining whether or not it's needed I'd post it for all to share. Then again, I guess that's just me.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • benichols
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Har: A most excellent posting!!!!
    F1: I am forever in your debt.. Thanks!!
    (BTW: I have NO IDEA who Samual Polk was.. Relative Maybe?)

In any case, thanks to all. If your interested there is a fine pair of SDA-SRS speakers on eBay for auction. Current price is 1025.00... I was gonna bid myself, but Christmas has left a dent in my budget.

Thanks All!!
    B.E.
    -=* B. E. Nichols *=-
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited January 2003
    Options
    benichols,

I have extra interconnect pin/blade connection with gold tips I made myself, very professionally done, you will like it (much better than the one I previously posted). If you want I can send it to you and you can pay me only for the shipping plus $10.00 but send the $10.00 to F1nut because I owe him $8.30. (Thanks Jesse for the x'over christmas gift)

Let me know if your interested.

Regards,
    Har
  • rskarvan
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I may be wrong on this one. (that is as close as I'm going to come to admitting that I am wrong). I remember once reading that the later model SRS x.yTL speakers were more desirable than the early models because they weren't so fussy about amplifiers. I know the TL series is an 8 ohm speaker. Whereas, my CRS+ is 6 ohms. But, I seem to recall something about the A1 transformer being built into the TL crossover - eliminating the need for that special bulky cable. Like I said before, I could be wrong. But, I am certain that there is no such thing as a pin/pin interconnect cable (see F1's comment above).

Thats my 2 cents worth.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Close enough.

Actually, you are right about the pin/pin type, it's really called a twin blade, but often called a pin/pin by many. I will try to use the correct term in the future. The TL series is listed as "compatible with 8 ohm outputs", but as far as I know is still a 6 ohm speaker. I never heard that transformer story and I'm certain that it is just that, a story.

Regards,
    F1nut

President of Club Polk