exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2008
    Crossed over at what frequency?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • dbraves8
    dbraves8 Posts: 24
    edited June 2008
    well i am running passive through the xover but on the amp i have it set at 100hz
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2008
    If you have it that high, they will easily take 150.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • dbraves8
    edited June 2008
    ok well what if i set it at 80hz and on the xover i have my tweet set at 0db should i lower it to -3 or -6 because with the gains set at 150rms per side with a 1khz test tone when i play normal music at full tilt for about 10 mins my tweet is a lil warm and i can barely smell it not burnt just a smell

i am not worried bout the mid but just the tweet since i hear about people blowing momo tweets easily
  • dbraves8
    edited June 2008
    well i feel like a complete idiot righ now i just looked at my xover and noticed that i put the speaker wire in to the xover on the woofer instead of the tweet spot which the xover says to do so, did i damage my speakers or no since i have had it like this for a month or so on 135rms per side

also what i did what does it do to the comps
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2008
    125 RMS
    250 Max
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2008
    Do the tweeters still play and sound OK?? If so you are very lucky. If not contact Polk customer service for replacements
  • dbraves8
    edited June 2008
    well i got very lucky because they still sound good and play loud

what should the tweets and mid read ohm wise with a dmm

also these i know are rated at 125rms but can they handle 150rms
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2008
    An amp that makes 150 watts does NOT make 150 watts all the time. Just like your can can go 100 mph, but chances are it doesnt do it all the time.

Music is very dynamic and normal listening will never draw your amp up to its max power while big blasts like a loud slap of a snare drum or a big bass note will.

Keeping that in mind, remember that the only thing that will kill a speaker is OVERPOWERING! Doesnt matter how clean the power is, if either builds up more heat in the voice coil than it can dissipate or pushes the suspension beyond its limits - its gonna die.

Running a 150 watt amp to 125 watt speakers and assuming youre listening to them at a MUSICAL level and not trying to be the loudest kid in the high school parking lot, then youll be fine. There may be some dynamic spots in the music when youre doing some spirited listening where the amp will make 150 watts but if its something like a slap of a drum and only momentarily, then the voice coil will be able to cool enough. Now you play some rap at a very loud level with their oh so famouse 45 second bass notes, then the speaker will never have a chance to cool down and itll fry. This is of course all assuming the suspension can handle the extra power.

Bottom line - if youre listening to MUSIC at a MUSICAL level then youll be fine.

If youre cranking the hell out of your system with big sine bombs, then youll have a fancy pair of paperweights on your hands in no time.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dbraves8
    edited June 2008
    ok what should the mid and tweet read ohm wise