Proud new owner of a 98 Grand Prix GTP!

JoshParsons84
JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
edited June 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Supercharged. Metallic silver, 92,000 miles, power everything, leather heated driver seat, 2 door, moonroof loaded. Anyways I've got an Alpine CDA-9831, Boston Acoustics Pro60, Boston Acoustics SPG555 and an Alpine PDX-4.100 from my previous vehicle. I'm gonna upgrade my deck to the CDA-9887 and get the Imprint software first of all. For my components I'm getting off Crutchfield the custom kick panels that house the 6.5" comp instead of buying all new speakers and putting 5.25" in the doors and plus I think the kick panels will sound better anyways. I'm getting an Alpine PDX-1.1000 for my sub. Now my question for y'all...what about my 6x9 in the back and the 4" speaker beside it? I've thought about keeping them Boston because I didn't know if I had to for SQ purposes. But if that then the SL95 6x9 and the S45 4". If I could go different I was thinking about Cadence CVLS-69 6x9 and Focal Polyglass 100CVX 4". I was gonna also Dynamat everything. This has been the car I've been searching for and researching for months now and finally got it so I wanna go all out on my system. Money is no option on this project just nothing overboard.

Also on my deck can anybody tell me what my settings and everything should be? I've got my HPF and LPF set at 80 hz and then it has for my EQ it has

1) 40Hz, 5dB, 1width
2) 100Hz, 7dB, 1width
3) 4K, 12dB, 1width
4) 10.0K, 12db, 1width

Does this seem right? I want everything calibrated correctly.
Post edited by JoshParsons84 on

Comments

• JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited June 2008
    Well....my mono amp will be here in 5 days and my kick panels SHOULD be here day after tomorrow. But what about everything else?
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited June 2008
    well this is tough. musical preferences vary according to the person's taste. what works for jack may not work for jill.

but roughly speaking, from a sound quality perspective:

-rear speakers can be left out. especially if they play any high frequencies. they can be used as rear fill tho (lower output, no highs)

-use x-over points and levels to tune your system. equalization is a last resort for the one-or-two small spikes/dips your system may have. using an EQ to tune leads to comb filtering (google) and your sound will not be natural.

-good crossover points are:
    --50 down for sub
    --50hz to 6000hz for mids/midbass
    --6000hz and up for tweets

-your choice of kickpanels is an excellent one. i see that ppl on the net advise reinforcing the store-bought q-forms (again, google.. i'm not sure how to do this). they also talk about venting them to get better midbass.

hope this helps.
  • TallTexan
    TallTexan Posts: 2
    edited June 2008
    I agree on the rear fill issue, I haven't hooked up my rear speakers to anything after my last mod (but I probably will).

Check out http://www.raamaudio.com as opposed to Dynamat. People in other forums say good things about the company, product, and owner.

I have a '04 Impala SS. Checkout http://www.zzperformance.com for Grand Prix/Am stuff. I've done, and would recommend: K&N CAI, u-bend delete with high flow cat and downpipe combo, Front log replacement, 180 degress thermostat, PCM reprogram, volt booster. All roughly in that order. Note, I did not mention dropping pulley sizes. I stopped moding just before the pulley drop. It should be the last thing you do. My SS has like about the same # of miles as yours does, but feels like it did when it was brand new, actually probably better with no loss of MPG.

Also check out the GrandPrix forums for lots of usefull information on your car and potential modifications (if you are interesting in such things). Nice thing about the Super Charged 3.8L engines is that you can still order a brand spanking, not rebuilt, engine from GM.