Head unit woes.

DemonAstroth
DemonAstroth Posts: 131
edited June 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
So I just realized I need to be a head unit designer. I have been searching and searching and I cannot find a decent head unit (for less than 500 dollars). If I had all the money in the world, I would most likely get the kenwood 819dvd thing, but I'm not going to yet.

So I need some suggestions please. Currently I'm using an Eclipse CD7100, which has a couple major flaws.

1)USB sucks, majorly, so Ipod it must be
2)Ipod controls aren't that great. everytime I want to search for something I have to start from the beginning.. genre artist album.. it gets repetitive, specially when I have like 50 gigs of music, finding, let's say "metallica" right in the middle takes a while to get to.
3)The control nob is not very efficient (though I'm getting used to it)
4)CD's continuously get stuck.

So this are my requirements:

1) Less than 500
2) Either GOOD USB support or Ipod controls (this can be with an adapter, as long as the head unit and the adapter are not more than 500).
3) >4v preouts (3 pair)
4) Crossovers (separate for front, rear and sub)
5) NICE INTERFACE (meaning the display is not horrible to use and the control doesn't suck)

NICE to have, but not must:
1) Bluetooth built in
2) Microphone

Can anyone give me any ideas? Please don't bring anything Alpine, i hate their looks. I know it may be hard to find, maybe next to impossible, for everytime I look at a head unit there's one of the things that do not work. I hate being unhappy with the CD7100, but there has to be something better.

If not I will have to save for that kenwood DVD player with 5v pre outs, it's just going to hurt my wallet.

Thanks all.
Post edited by DemonAstroth on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2008
    how about the pioneer premier 700bt
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • DemonAstroth
    edited June 2008
    Lasar,
    I have a bias against Alpine, I have never liked their head units. However, that model doesn't seem to be a bad choice. I really don't like their flashy looks, but I will add that one to my list.

Cody,
    Is the 700bt any bettr than the 980bt? Although the screen is not as flashy as the 980, it does seem to have a nicer style. I worry that the few lines of text would make it hard to navigate through a usb or ipod device. However, if it is easier, then it would be the best choice as the 980 doesn't seem to have usb anymore, and to play an ipod an adapter is necessary. Do you (or anyone else here) have experience with such head units?

Has anyone seen the Kenwood X991, the looks are horrible but at least it's all black, and it seems to fit the bill for everything else.
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited June 2008
    i run that head unit and i love it. i dont think it looks that bad, and i love the ipod controls. i dont use the xovers because i run a dqxs. the sound quality is great and it has a ton of features. i got mine for $400 from an authourised dealer in philadelphia pa. this is my second excelon. before i had the x990, but upgraded for better ipod control.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • DemonAstroth
    edited June 2008
    The more and more I look at it the more I"m ok with its looks. It just seems very "plasticky" to me. Do you have any pictures of it? I would love some of when you are browsing and some when it is playing out of an ipod.

All the specs seem to match quite well. 5v pre outs, equalizer, crossovers, usb support, and I can get it from SE for 400. Not an authorized retailer though :(
  • mrmusicman
    mrmusicman Posts: 303
    edited June 2008
    I run the X891 and to me it does not feel "plasicky" at all .The Ipod controls are ok,but the one thing I dislike is you can't use the remote to navigate the ipod,so searching is pia...the remote will let you go foward or backwards ,but you can't change artist or genre if that makes sence,it has to be done manually by scrolling.And the other dislike is the display will completly wash out in direct sunlight.
    Those are my only dislikes and overall I think its built solid and sounds great,I also have sirus sat radio, so I removed my fm antenna and can't comment on how the tuner works.The cd player sounds fantastic and have yet to have it skip or unable to read what I throw at it.
    I haven't demoed the alpine for Ipod so I can't really compare the difference.But if your an alpine hater... I don't think you would regret the Kenwood excelon 891 or 991.
    Outlaw 990 Processor
    Outlaw 755 Amp
    Denon 2900 dvd-sacd
    Dishnetwork HD-Dvr
    55" Sony LCD RPTV
    Lsi 9-fronts
    Lsic-center
    Rt55i- surrounds
    Velodyne cht-10 sub

2007 Dodge Quad cab
    Kenwood Excelon KDC-X891
    JL Audio 300/V2
    Polk Audio SR 6500 - Fronts
    Polk Audio DB651 - Rear
    2 -10" Treo Subs
    Interfire IB 2600C sub amp
    Sirius Sat radio
    Ipod connection
  • DemonAstroth
    edited June 2008
    I just looked at the manual for it and if I choose to stay active, the X991 cannot do the crossovers. So I guess my only option is the prs800 or 880, neither of which seems to be good enough for me to switch.

Maybe I'll upgrade to a CD7200, if they are ever on sale again.