anyone see new mtx amps???

PoweredByDodge
PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
edited December 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
Heya --

I just wanted to see if any of you have any news / opinions on the new mtx thunder line of amps for 2003?

I was paging through my latest Crutchfield catalog when I noticed these butt ugly / fugly lookin amps with an mtx logo on them -- i first thought "oh - new RoadThunder (lower/entry level) line, cool... lets take a look"... then I realized that it wasn't the new road thunder line... it was the main line Thunder series ...

I'd have to see one up close, but the photos look horrible - hopefully its just due to being ugly on paper... hopefully the actual real deal is better.

but what got me flaming pissed is this -- the "biggest" amp they have is 800 x 1 at 2 ohms... that's the replacement for the 81000d -- the new "Thunder 801D" -- 800 x 1 is pathetic.

not to mention -- its not a true 800 watts -- they're rating the amps at 14.4 volts now instead of 12.5 -- at least this is according to crutchfield -- so you do the math and it comes out that it'll only do about 640 at 12.5 volts... hell my old 500d did 650 x 1 at 12.5 !!! sheesh!

If this is mtx bowing down to the hammer of "trendy marketplace fashion" and saying "oh no, no one will pay 700 bucks for an 81000d, so lets make a bunch of **** garbage amps that are over rated, weak, full of thd, and with some trendy new covers and sell them for less".

I reserve final judgement until I can in-car test a few of these things... but from what i've seen so far, i'm not optimistic...

anybody who's got any news, please post it up, any article links, or equipment test results, please post links / results.

thanks.
-vinnie
--- the only guy screaming "BRING BACK THE BLUE THUNDER PRO150.2 AND THE BLACK LINE 300.2 AND THE OLD 1000D".
The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge