sr6500 sounding like 40$ speakers

2»

Comments

• dirthog
    dirthog Posts: 124
    edited June 2008
    Another thing about the 6500's. They might not get as loud as other drivers but because they're laid back and smooth it might seem they're not getting as loud as they really are.
    HU: 880PRS
    Front: SR6500
    Amp: Alpine MRV-F545
    Sub: SR124-DVC
    Amp: Alpine MRD-M1005
  • candaddy
    candaddy Posts: 54
    edited June 2008
    dirthog wrote: »
    Another thing about the 6500's. They might not get as loud as other drivers but because they're laid back and smooth it might seem they're not getting as loud as they really are.

This is true. Bad distortion sounds invasive and gives a perception of loudness. In some cases some distortion can give a sense of "detail" but will ultimately lead to listening fatigue.
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited June 2008
    *sigh* so...

i want it loud and clean .. so i'll go this route:
    3-way built from my SR6500 and a set of SR5250

the 5" will be in the kicks, using those tweets as the main tweets... they will play down to 200Hz

the 6" will play midbass on the doors... and their tweets will be mounted on a-pillars as a secondary set of tweets.. playing 7KHz and up.. to bring the stage a liltte higher.

i hope this works.
  • candaddy
    candaddy Posts: 54
    edited June 2008
    Report your findings. I'd leave the a-pillar pair disconnected until you have have everything else working out, then play with them. You could also use them only and skip the ones in the kicks if everything is time aligned well enough. If you spend enough time experimenting, you should find something you like.
  • Meeks32
    Meeks32 Posts: 330
    edited June 2008
    Why not buy a pair of Focal KBE kit? Its a add on mid-bass kit to use with your existing components. They are better at playing lower than the polks & this may lighten the load on the sr mid & should be able to play louder & cleaner.