Advice on HPF/LPF adjustments on amp

1hawaii50
1hawaii50 Posts: 26
edited June 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just finished my install in my 07 Altima. I put MMC6500's in the front door with the tweeters flush-mounted in the top of the door panel. I put MMC690's in the rear deck. I have them powered with a Navone LOC running to a Kicker ZX650.4 amp. I have the gains turned all of the way down on the amp and already get decent volume from the speakers (I believe the Navone LOC is set at 9 volts). I am finding, however, that if I attempt to turn up the gains at all, the bass gets really easily distorted. I have the front crossovers set to -3 for the tweeters. Both the fronts and the rears will distort from the bass with very little input from the gain controls. I have the HPF/LPF's turned off on the amp. Do I need to set the HPF's? If so, where is a good starting point?

Sorry for the noob questions...I'm still trying to figure it all out. I've gained a wealth of knowledge from this site already.
Thanks in advance.
Post edited by 1hawaii50 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2008
    Do you have the bass boost on? If so, turn it off. Even with a 9 volt LOC, your speakers shouldnt be distorting that soon.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1hawaii50
    edited June 2008
    Bass boost is off, bass and treble controls on H/U are set to "0", gain controls on amp are at lowest setting (full counter-clockwise), and the HPF/LPF switch on the amp is turned off (full signal to speakers). I double checked all of my connections again to make sure I didn't have any speaker polarity crossed, and everything checks out wiring-wise, so speakers should not be out of phase. On the MMC690's I've got the black wire w/white stripe as the +, and the black wire as the -, on the MMC6500's, I've got the red wire/s as the +, and the black wire/s as the -. I also double checked the speaker polarity at the amp, and they are correct.
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited June 2008
    Stupid question, but are you running the speaker-level outputs into the line-level amp inputs? That's what it sounds like...
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited June 2008
    the navone loc has a 2:1 voltage divider meaning if you have 10v in you get 5v out,so the output depends on the input. with the gains turned to minimum you only need 5 volts to drive that amp with the sensitivity set to low. if you have a test cd and a meter see if you can measure the output because you might be overdriving the amp and if you are just reduce your volume. i was just wondering, why didnt you just run the radio output directly to the amp? you can just solder rca ends to the speaker outputs of the radio switch the sensitivity to high on the amp and run it like that.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • 1hawaii50
    edited June 2008
    I am using the factory H/U (non-bose), into a Navone LOC with the voltage adjustments of the LOC set to MAX (9.5v, I believe). I used the LOC instead of the line level inputs as I was under the impression that I would get a much better signal that way. The LOC I am using is the Navone NE-774v.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2008
    The only real benefit to running the LOC is if it has a line driver on it. Bumping the output voltage up a bunch will greatly reduce the noise floor.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1hawaii50
    edited June 2008
    Should I turn on the HPF on the amp? What setting should I begin with/what is the lowest range the MMC6500's can handle efficiently without distortion?