replace fact spks or add to

lancyen
lancyen Posts: 1
edited December 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
Should I replace my '02 Honda SI's speakers with my two sets of amplified Polk MM3065's and not use the head unit's amplifier or use both together (leave factory system unchanged and use as "fill"), or will this degrade the overall sound of my Polk system? The Honda (Alpine?) head unit is rated at 30 watts per channel according to the Honda dealer and I'm useing two Kenwood X301 stereo amps rated at 100 watts per channel each to drive the two sets of Polk MM3065's.
Post edited by lancyen on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2002
    I see so many people preaching the virtues of thier stock stereos in thier cars. They may sound ok now but if you levae them there to use as "fill" you will just want to take them out anyway. They will color the music and make it sound muddled. The factory stuff is nowhere near as accurate as the aftermarket stuff and if you shove anymore than the factory power rating through them, you will most likely shred them.

If I were you, I'd replace the head unit also. just pull the factory stuff, put it in a box and put it on a shelf somewhere. Shove your Kenwood amps and Polk speakers in and grab a decent CD player for your dash. When you are ready to get rid of the car, take your gear out and shove the factory stuff back in.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2002
    well actually there's a scientific method for determining this...

1- remove all factory gear (radio speakers etc)

2- place all factory gear in a large oil drum in your backyard or some other safe abandoned field kind of place.

3- douse in gasoline and set fire to contents of barrell.

Now -- whatever parts are still working afterward you can use in your aftermarket system.

This is a time tested and proven method... I stand by it...

*chuckle*

100 x 2 is "hella clean" from a good set of kenwood amps -- i've always liked them... that'll push your momo's nicely -- like the previous poster said -- get a new deck though -- burn the facotyr one. 30 factory watts = 3 real world watts and a hairy lip.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge